Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after spending the best part of this afternoon looking at the search facility and searching for "gearbox oil" "autobox oil" "4eat oil" I still cant work out which one is best.

Okay I found a few threads which recommend Dexron II or III oils, but which one is most suited or is everyone using. Dexron II or III is like saying it takes cheese, yeah but which cheese :biggrin:

Is the castrol TQ DIII @ £5.70 a litre, stuff okay or do I go straight for the Redline D4 at @ £11.50 a litre?

Also what oil is used for the diffs and am I right in thinking there are two diffs, one at the front and one at the back?

:Banane35:
mike

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
The workshop manuals from 1997 onwards list "Dexron III type ATF" for the autobox and GL5 80W-90 oil for the front and rear axle diffs.

Using Castrol Dexron III ATF should be fine unless you want to spend more money.

am I right in thinking there are two diffs, one at the front and one at the back?
Do you mean at the back of the autobox or the back of the car??

With the auto there are two diffs, connected to the axle shafts front and rear.

The manual gearbox "centre diff" (at the back of the gearbox) is replaced by a "transfer clutch" which is integral with the autobox.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info don, don. :biggrin:

I mean there are 2 diffs in general, hence the need for 2 litres of diff fluid, one for each diff?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
thanks for the info don, don. :biggrin:

I mean there are 2 diffs in general, hence the need for 2 litres of diff fluid, one for each diff?
:biggrin:

1.2L for front diff, 0.8L for rear.

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
Mike.

here is what i use, i think we almost have the same car.

Transmission: Motul multi ATF
Diff: Silkolene Silktran SYN5 75W-90 (fully synth gear oil)
Brake: Castrol Response super Dot 4
Engine: Mobil-1 10w-40

since i serviced my car with these particular oils i have noticed that it runs smoother especially the gear changes.

hope this helps

Frazer

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
How many miles on your current ATF? I wouldn't go to one of the synthetics if it has a lot of miles on it.

I'd go with the basic castrol (whatever is available in your market) dexron 3, absolutely no need for one of the newer fluids.

Any normal 75w90/80w90 etc will work in the diffs. I like the basic synthetics (such as valvoline and mobil1) found at most parts stores.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude, just been working this out as its not as simple as look at the odemeter and go "oh yeah that many miles" as mines an import so it had 63,000 kms when I bought it and its now got 96,000 on it so thats 33,000 miles + (63,000/1.6)= 72375 miles. Oil was (cough) last changed when I bought it!

Since the castrol is on offer at £5.22 a litre, 5 litres of that will do?
Castrol TQ DIII Automatic Transmission Fluid meeting Dexron III

1 - 7 of 7 Posts