Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a break here at work and thought I would attach a few pics of my FXT from a local autox this last summer. It is a NASA sancitoned club activity, and I am in NXE w/ the mods I have on it. I ended up 4th out of 19 in my class for the season...(1-3 went to tiny Miata's w/ mods). Not bad for my first year out.

If anyone hasn't tried auto-x, I highly recommend it! BTW, it is a blast to beat the track times of race-prepped cars.

Anyway, here is also a youtube link to my first run on a tiny auto-x course over in Iowa (not the local track setup in Sioux Falls) back in June.

YouTube - 8.8.09 Spencer autox - Paul's Suby

Not my best run, not the best course, but I thought I would throw this out there. I ended up 3rd fastest of the day out of 49 cars (it was an corvette club auto-x, and myself and the two friends w/ EVO's I went there with all had times w/in 2/10 of a second of each other on this tiny 35-36 second course.

Here's another vid from ? showing me doing a sweeper on youtube about 40 sec into the video from a local event.

YouTube - sccs. sioux falls sd autocross

I have a bunch of vid's on tape that I need to upload...

Later,

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...

My FTW moment of the summer was at an auto-x in Windom, MN at a closed down airport where for part of it they had it set up to do a 60+mph sweeper into a hairpin and then a nearly 1/8 mile flat-out straight drag out into a tight slalom.

I will never forget that 65mph drifting sweeper for the rest of my life... It was awesome. Just awesome. At that event I think I was 8th overall fastest out of 69 cars (another corvette club auto-x event out of SF, South Dakota).

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Nice, those are good finishes! They keep the courses around here MUCH slower, so I usually end up placing BEHIND the Honda CRX's (power doesn't help me at all). I'm about 0.8s behind the STi winning my class, but he's got coilovers and a tune compared to me who only has a set of springs :lol:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the positive comments guys. I just have a blast auto-x'ing my FXT and having fun is the name of the game!

Our local track keeps the mph down for much of the track as there are many technical sections. You can hit 55-60mph on a few sections at some events, but it is rare.

But, the one auto-x I went to at the airport in MN was very open and very fast!

I will be changing a few things on the suspension setup this winter for next year. I have been, however, very happy with the current setup.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
428 Posts
Sounds like I should start going to the Windom event. I missed it last year, was just busy, wasn't looking for it this year.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey BRR,

The Windom event was a blast, but the city might shut it down for next year. I signed a petition to keep it going. We'll see I guess.

There are a few rallycross events up there in Mn in Nov. that a few friends of mine are itching to go to (and run). Do you have any inside scoop on any of these events. I would have to check with them to get the details.

Prob-cat, I destroyed (by like 6 seconds) the only STI I raced against this year on street-legal tires and he was two classes above me. It's quite a feeling... There were only like 5 subarus all season that auto-x'd, although there are probably 100 wrx's and/or STI's running around town gathering "street cred".

The only faster subaru on the track this year was an 05 STI on 1700+ dollar coilovers and R-comps. He should have beat me!! I think he was actually FTD that time out. (He only raced once here).

Paul

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
great pics and vids. love anything that has to do w/ fozzys and auto-x! glad to hear your enjoying the sport, wish ya luck next season!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
So where's your journal thread - I want to know your mods! :biggrin: I'm with you 4/2, I love seeing Foz autocross threads and vids!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey,

I will just throw the mods out there that I have to date:

Weight reduction:

Weighs 3,085 w/out me in it when I auto-x w/ a 1/2 tank of fuel. I have fairly substantive weight reduction mods that I mostly put back in (as this is my DD) after the season is over (or between races).

Power/Engine mods:

Fluids: 0W30 German Castrol in motor, Redline in 5spd/rear diff.
Grimmspeed 160 deg. thermostat
Grimmspeed thick (7mm I think) phenolic spacers
Grimmspeed TGV deletes (ceramic coated)
Grimmspeed cross-pipe
Ported up-pipe (decatted).
Group-N engine mounts
STI manifolds ported and polished/gasket matched.
Heatwrapped manifolds/x pipe/turbo/downpipe.
AEM H20/meth inj. on med. nozzle w/ fail-safes: 55-60% meth. (108 oct).
Protuned by Clark Tuner via COBB Accessport @ about 15-17 lbs (depending on map) on stock turbo & IC running fairly lean AFR/very agressive timing.
Prodrive Y-pipe
Gimmick Silicone Airbox pipe
Perrin Turbo Inlet
COBB lightweight flywheel
COBB Turbo-back Exhaust
Home-fabricated IC water spray kit
Home-fabricated Grounding mod
Tiny race battery (but not for SD winters, ha-ha)
K&N air filter
Snorkus delete
3 inch velocity stack into stock airbox from fender.
ported TB
ported IC inlets
Innovate WB02 setup w/ gauge in custom laser cut bezel
Datalog setup via ECU explorer/Innovate WB using Tactrix Cable.

Suspension/Etc. mods:

F & R COBB Swaybars
R COBB Endlinks
F Perrin Endlinks
R COBB Adjustable Mounts
R "Botox" Subframe Locking Bolts
R LLWS (so endlinks don't tear the tabs off)
Swift Sport Progressive Springs on stock (63K mile) struts.
H&R Camber Bolts (F&R) running 2.5 neg F, 2.0 neg R, zero toe
225/45/17 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1's on Leg GT rims w/ +7mm spacers
Hawk HPS brake pads/synthetic fluid.
F & R strut tower braces
GT Spec fender braces
GT spec front subframe brace
COBB short-throw double-adjustable shifter w/ COBB bushings
Stock clutch
v7 JDM STI hoodscoop
Homemade IC splitter

I am probably missing something here. That is just a quick list of the major mods I have made.

Paul

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Ah, meth inj - I see some good engine mods! The only thing I see missing is brakes (other than the pads). Don't get me wrong, it would probably be way down my mod list, but most people on here upgrade brakes sooner rather than later.

What size are your sways and how do you like the balance? I'm wanting to get a FSB to help eliminate roll and hopefully that inside front wheel lift/spin. I wasn't exagerating much on my setup - all I have is WRX/Tein springs on stock struts, a 20mm RSB, camber bolts, and an STi axleback (for sound). Running -2.0F & -1.8R since I do a lot of highway driving.

Oh, and I've thought about the $20 ebay strut tower brace :biggrin: Did you do your mods incrementally, and did you like your brace?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, thanks.

Do you have mods done to your motor? What sway bar do you have for the RSB?

The Hawk HPS pads are an awesome upgrade. Also, flush/bleed your stock fluid out to a good synthetic. I use my brakes hard on course and find I pick up a lot of time that way.

Paul

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Zero engine mods! I just got a catless uppipe I need to get around to installing, mostly as preventative maintenance (don't want a cat to destroy my turbo). I don't know which 20mm RSB, it was installed by previous owner. WRX springs up front, Tien H-Tech in the rear. Seems a bit unfair that I'm in STU with STi's and I can't even swap to have the same turbo/IC/ECU as an STi :evilatyou:

I did put in some good syn brake fluid, it has decent ceramic pads and when they burn out I'll likely replace with the Hawk HPS (ran those on my SF) but I've figured out my problem is my 18" wheels are a bit heavy on the course (lockup too easy).

Post some more vids! Our last event is this weekend but I've got family in town so I'll miss it :mob: I'll live vicariously through you...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, our season is over as well... So we will have to live vicariously via someone else... I have 04 STI takeoff struts, crucial race springs, STI rear subframe, and a few other bits coming in soon that will help form my setup for next year.

I have some other vids from earlier this summer that need to get uploaded to my computer some time down the road...

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
BTW, did I hear a horn honk on that first section? Trying to steer with one hand with your other on the gearshift? :icon_wink: I know I had to break my habit of doing that and keep both hands on the wheel.

Post up the others!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, nice honk, huh? That hasn't happened any more since I put a five-point harness in my car. I found that before I put that in I was not only using the steering wheel for steering input, but more so to keep my upper torso aligned in the seat so much that when I had tight turns where I needed to cross my arms over, my bottom arm would hit the horn at times... That doesn't happen now that I am pinned in w/ a 5 point..

It's amazing how much better my steering inputs are with the 5pnt. A 4point would have done, but you know... I would recc. one to anyone.

It was definately worth the money, too (free!). I buddy gave me two 5 pnt sets from his race car because they were sitting around his garage. I used one and gave one to a freind to use.

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts