Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not sure how many of you did this in your senior year in high school, but I've got to do a senior project to graduate. It's essentially 15 hours of hands on experience in some field of expertise and a 2k word paper.. I need to have a mentor who's at least 25 years old to teach me what I'm doing my project on; in my case, I have chosen Auto Cross.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in South Lake Tahoe who knows how to do this and I know there aren't any tracks near by (maybe Sac...). I was wondering if anyone on here who lives close to South Lake Tahoe, CA would be willing to mentor me. This would be a dream come true to learn auto-x and I would much appreciate it!

I'll give you more info on this later tonight, just seeing who may be interested for now :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
I feel your pain man! i've got to do one of these stupid projects too. However you choose a much cooler topic than I did.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I think you'll need to start by getting a NASA or SCCA membership, and maybe contacting your local chapters with your inquiry. What exactly is the hands-on part going to be? Volunteer at an event?

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im all the way across the country but if you have any questions that need answering pm me!
Alrighty lol. Thanks a lot!

I feel your pain man! i've got to do one of these stupid projects too. However you choose a much cooler topic than I did.
Haha yeah it sucks... What topic did you choose?

I think you'll need to start by getting a NASA or SCCA membership, and maybe contacting your local chapters with your inquiry. What exactly is the hands-on part going to be? Volunteer at an event?
Hands-on being me actually racing. I'll look up those organizations I suppose. I'm kinda planning on traveling quite a bit (maybe as far as SF) because I'm pretty sure I won't find anyone / any events close by where I live.. Is there a chance you or Roo would be willing to mentor me?

·
Administrator
29,449 Posts
Hands-on being me actually racing. I'll look up those organizations I suppose. I'm kinda planning on traveling quite a bit (maybe as far as SF) because I'm pretty sure I won't find anyone / any events close by where I live.. Is there a chance you or Roo would be willing to mentor me?
Willing, yes, but I'm not sure in what function, as we currently aren't active in sanctioned events due to financial constraints.

Here's another suggestion... look into Paul Eklund's Rally School. Once a year he brings it to Northern California, and I already posted a thread about this year's school. It will cost you, but you will not only learn in a classroom setting, but you'll be getting hands-on training while paired up with an instructor the next day. The day after they hold an SCCA rally-x in the same location where you can put your newly learned skills to the test. If you need a place to stay overnight, we could put you up at our house.

More info:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ol-coming-norcal-again-april-9-10-11-a-67771/
2010 NorCal Paul Eklund Rally School! April 9, 10, 11th - DirtyImpreza Forums

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Helping run lacrosse practices for our spring rec league.
Eminently more doable project. Good choice. Also deals with community activity which is what colleges look at.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think rally racing would be too risky, don't wanna end up with a totalled fozzie... But yea I'll see what tracks I can find and maybe anyone near one would help out :p

My main concern is that I need 15 hours of hands-on experience. which is probably gonna be the hardest part of this project.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I think rally racing would be too risky, don't wanna end up with a totalled fozzie... But yea I'll see what tracks I can find and maybe anyone near one would help out :p

My main concern is that I need 15 hours of hands-on experience. which is probably gonna be the hardest part of this project.
I would honestly not suggest doing this. Do something that colleges will be impressed with, no one in the professional world really cares about car hobbies or racing unfortunately. Colleges want to see leadership etc. When I had to do something similar I shadowed the IT director in my school district (I had volunteered with them as well for 2 years before, and worked with them for a few summers as a paid assistant). I ended up doing about 140+ hours of "shadowing/hands on volunteer work" when the requirement was about 20, it was one of the main reasons I got accepted into RIT (although I ended up switching to biology so none of that even matters anymore).

·
Administrator
29,449 Posts

It's not rally-racing, it's basically auto-x in the dirt. Big field, no things to run into except cones. And it would give you more than 15 hours of experience if you do the school and the rally-x the next day.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts

Friday: 5p-10p classroom training
Saturday: 8a-4:30p hands on driving instruction, practice, and finals
Sunday: 8a-4:00p Rally-x competition

Picture about 5 acres of smooth, flat dirt field. The largest obstacle you will find in this field is a bright orange cone, which you're taught to avoid. The next largest item will be the gravel embedded in the dirt you're driving on. No, these are NOT concrete-filled cones, no posts jump out of the ground in front of your car, so unless you were to do something INCREDIBLY STUPID, the worst thing that might happen is some orange scrape marks alongside the car where you side-swiped a cone. Those swipe marks rub out.
Oh wait. The worst thing that can happen is that you lose a bead on the tire, and have to limp back to start to change your tire. That's a true fact.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Omg Roo, that was super useful info! I talked to my teacher about it today and she said that's fine for me to do as a project!! My mentor would probably have to be the instructor so I'm going to call and find out about that soon. I'm super excited now and I really hope this all works out :)

·
Premium Member
01 L
250 Posts
Good luck and hope to see ya at the rally-X. I mentored a kid for his senior project a couple of years ago. We built a Pro-thunder class Ducati race motor for one of our race bikes. The look on the kids and teachers faces when I brought the bike to his school and fired it up was priceless. Open piped race bike for the (loud) win.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts