Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got an '02 and was wondering if there's any way to get more rpm's before the thing shifts into the next higher gear....it just seems to want to go into overdrive/upshift alot sooner than i'd like and i'd prefer to get more rpm's before it does so. will driving in "3" instead of "D" help this...? i did notice there's no "OD off" selector, as are found in many other cars (my wife's old maxima and her new camry, for example...) - that always takes care of that issue. anyway, any help, suggestions, aftermarket ideas would be appreciated.....other than this issue, i love the way it drives/handles/etc........thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Driving in 3rd is identical to "OD OFF" found on other cars. I do this around town.

I have on my to do list, a mod that will give us the "Power" function that is available with a switch on Foresters sold outside of North America. This mod is a ways down my list of things to do, but here is what I've found out so far.
-Aus models with the "Power" button appear to have a completely different TCM (transmission control module), so I couldn't just add a button to the correct wire as I'd first hoped.
-US models have the power function, but rather than having a switch, you get it by depressing the throttle! Not too helpful when you want it to hold a gear a bit longer, but you don't really want to have it floored.

There is an interesting bit of info in the service manual, paraphrased from memory, goes something like this: "When the AT temp sensor reads high fluid temperatures, the TCM switches to Power mode, until the fluid temperature cools back down". The purpose of this is to help cool the fluid, by circulating it at a faster rate due to the higher input shaft speed. As far as I can tell, other than turning on the AT Temp warning light, there is no other function within the TCM that occurs due to a high temp reading. So if I add a "Power" mode switch, I'll do it by tricking the TCM into thinking that the fluid is hot, but I'd make it so that it doesn't turn on the warning light. Who knows when I'll get to this mod. Feel free to blaze the trail!

This is what I get for reading the 8 volume service manual when other people just sit down and watch the tube! :D

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
My XT has the power switch. It seems to make more difference on a medium throttle than on a light throttle. Round town I ignore the power switch and use 3 (sometimes even 2) to stop the box trying to use a high gear at inappropriately low speeds. Power switch is more useful on twisties, in conjunction with 3. I would prefer if it made MORE difference though, especially if it was readier to drop a cog on a trailing throttle to get some engine braking. (I do think that engine braking is what I miss compared with driving a manual, rather than changing gears per se).

(The statement "you get it by pressing the throttle" doesn't make much sense... all automatics will alter their shift points based on throttle pressure, the switch enables the user to choose how much it alters by!)

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
sahunt said:
(The statement "you get it by pressing the throttle" doesn't make much sense... all automatics will alter their shift points based on throttle pressure, the switch enables the user to choose how much it alters by!)
I agree, but that is all we get here in the US, and Subaru tells us we don't need a switch, 'cuz we can just depress the throttle. :evil:

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
MountainBiker said:
I agree, but that is all we get here in the US, and Subaru tells us we don't need a switch, 'cuz we can just depress the throttle. :evil:
Of course it's possible that the default shift points on the US model are the Power ones already.

-- Steve

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have studied my tranny and know how to control the overdrive in D. I can go up to 6000 RPM on 2nd without overdrive and in 3rd too. I dont know how to explain it , I just got my foot trained an now how to accelerate with out using the overdrive. This has help me on beating 5 and 6 MT :twisted: When the car shifts to 2nd slowly press the pedal down when reaching 2500 3000 pull it farder down and you can get up to 4000 - 4500 when you begin doin this. Just got to practice this, an you can get to 6000 rpm without overdrive. Also the ecu learns your driving patterns . I hope this help :p

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Actually, it is quite easy to have the car rev out to redline in every gear, but it takes quite large throttle openings. It would be nice to have additional power by holding gears a bit longer without large throttle openings, basically what the Power button does on non-US markets.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
Subaru got it right on the 5EAT's, sport mode in my Outback XT holds gear nicely under moderate throttle - the steering wheel shift buttons also work in either mode.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Forester_007 said:
I have studied my tranny and know how to control the overdrive in D. I can go up to 6000 RPM on 2nd without overdrive and in 3rd too.
Don't follow this - there is no overdrive. Fourth gear is an overdriven ratio but not 2nd and 3rd. Do you mean kickdown?

-- Steve

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my auto box takes the revs up to 6200-6500 before changing with the power button. a same the US does not have that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts