Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Im going to be doing some towing this summer <1500lbs, and do some beach exploring also. Id like a trans temp gauge instead of an idiot light. Have you guys in the MY09+ installed a temp gauge and where in the cockpit did you put it. Pics a plus!!
Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have been thinking about guages for my XT, as well.

found this nice mounting option..

rallysportdirect.com/SMY-ClusterMaker-Dual-Gauge-Pod-52mm-Subaru-WRX-STI-2008-2011-Forester-XT-2009-2011

being that you are NA maybe the two gauges of importance would be oil temp and oil or trans temp...or some combination...

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
83 Posts
I too am going to do some towing with mine, around a 1000 lbs. I thought about a guage, but a tranny cooler sound like a better investment than the guage. You could go with both, but the cooler makes more sense. Just my opinion tho.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
11 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2011 Forester X, and would like to know if people tow in "D" or in "Sport" mode. Since Sport feature delayes the shift points in the transmission, is that better for the transmission then towing in "D". I ask this because I know for vehicles with "overdrive" your are not supposed to tow in the overdrive gear, instead you are to use the the "D" gear.

As for transmission coolers, what do you do in winter when temps fall far below zero (where I am anyways) - if there is no bypass mechanism to stop the flow throught the cooler, it may cause damage to the transmission as the coolant is being overcooled.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
32 Posts
I am a new owner of a 2011 Forester X, and would like to know if people tow in "D" or in "Sport" mode. Since Sport feature delayes the shift points in the transmission, is that better for the transmission then towing in "D". I ask this because I know for vehicles with "overdrive" your are not supposed to tow in the overdrive gear, instead you are to use the the "D" gear.
The main thing to avoid is "hunting". If you can pull a load and it is not contantly shifting down then up you are ok. Shifting makes heat! On grades find the gear in sport it can pull the load without shifting down and go for it. Hunting is the killer not OD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts