Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to start a new topic but I have searched and asked the question in other threads.

Is any procedure required when installing an auto tranny filter?

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Other than spinning the old one off and new one on, not that I can think of. Treat it like a motor oil filter and put some clean oil on the gasket. I'd prefill it with fluid but I'm not sure that's needed.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than spinning the old one off and new one on, not that I can think of. Treat it like a motor oil filter and put some clean oil on the gasket. I'd prefill it with fluid but I'm not sure that's needed.
OK..thanks. Hard to prefill since it is horizontal. Might be possible to partially fill it.

·
Premium Member
None FXT i exploded 4eat one good 4eat
803 Posts
Also, good work in not just throwing an oil filter on there.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
When you remove the old filter, you'll lose about another quart and a half of oil.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
When you remove the old filter, you'll lose about another quart and a half of oil.
Agreed it does. Also, I'm currently using a WIX tranny filter I picked up at O'Reilly's. Was actually shocked that they stock it. And I know it's not necessary, but I replace my tranny filter each time I drain the fluid as I can get a good 6.5 quarts out of it that way.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Agreed it does. Also, I'm currently using a WIX tranny filter I picked up at O'Reilly's. Was actually shocked that they stock it. And I know it's not necessary, but I replace my tranny filter each time I drain the fluid as I can get a good 6.5 quarts out of it that way.
I don'[t know how you get that much out. I have done multiple drainings on two 2008's on level ground. Only 6 oz. under a gallon ever comes out. So if you are getting 6.5 quarts out.....................

Also I would be leary using a non Subaru filter as they have (to my understanding) a much higher flow rate and less filtering ability than engine filters. I wonder if Wix takes that into account??

But thanks for the info. I'll look into the WIX and may do as you are doing.
Late breaking news:
WIX lists both filters Engine and transmission as "51365. So I would absolutely not use the WIX filter on the transmission.

WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well BlueFox, you were right. Got about 2 quarts 4 oz out of the tranny (including guesstimated filter oil volume). Obviously its draining down part of the TC when replacing the filter. So maybe 6 gallons or so draining the pan and changing the filter (assuming 2 quarts drain down from the torque converter.

Oh yea $32.95 + tax for the filter. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,830 Posts
Also I would be leary using a non Subaru filter as they have (to my understanding) a much higher flow rate and less filtering ability than engine filters. I wonder if Wix takes that into account??

But thanks for the info. I'll look into the WIX and may do as you are doing.
Late breaking news:
WIX lists both filters Engine and transmission as "51365. So I would absolutely not use the WIX filter on the transmission.

WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up
The WIX Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM & the Nominal Micron Rating: 21. What is the factory/OEM filter rating so we can compare? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Automatic
43 Posts
The WIX Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM & the Nominal Micron Rating: 21. What is the factory/OEM filter rating so we can compare?

I just swapped out the tranny filter for a NAPA Gold engine filter. After taking apart and inspecting the OEM tranny filter it can certainly hold a large amount of debris and does some fine filtering. This is definitely a bypass filter with a fairly small micron rating well beyond any full-flow engine oil filter.

Not sure if I'll get an OEM one to replace the engine filter I put on as I might be using an Amsoil EaBP filter instead. Also, I stacked the transmission with 14 fairly high-power magnets after I pulled the pan (for cleaning) so I think it'll be fine for the next year or so.

Would love to have some flow & micron ratings for the OE transmission filter. The dealer wants $44 CDN for it and I can get a high-efficiency EaBP110 for that money that'll filter below 2 micron.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,830 Posts
My trusted Subaru dealership shop serviced the 4EAT on my '03 X & my '07 FSXT last Summer & the filter wasn't replaced. They consider the filter to be permanent & it's never replaced. I believe the filter was removed (deleted) on the later models. The next time I'm going to request they be replaced. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
782 Posts
According to what i've read in the FSM, the filter is not replaced during any of the xx,xxx mile services. I've read online that the only reason to service the filter is if you suspect that it's not filtering. Like you said, they removed it on later models entirely.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
On the same thought. The dealership would make money changing the ATF filter, so if they don't, there must be a reason that overrides profit. :wink:...
The filter would only be changed when the ATF is either drained or flushed. There is little profit in the filter itself, even if the dealership should carry such a part that is never specified to be used. Which some owners can read.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After tearing mine down I can say that it was in definite need of being changed. The media was saturated with black particles / oil. I had flushed through 20 liters of Valvoline MaxLife ATF and was wondering why is was still getting dark.

Answer = Filter

Now, I wouldn't recommend changing the filter at a cost of $40 - $50 unless you are doing a complete flush and the oil is dark. NAPA had a replacement for $24 and it did look similar (internal bypass screen), but who knows what kind of media it is.

I would say that changing it out every 100k km, 60k miles, 5 years would not be a bad idea. $50 for five years isn't too bad.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... I believe the filter was removed (deleted) on the later models...
Halfway through the 2008 MY, the filter was replaced by a bolted cover plate.
For the 2009 MY, a new transmission housing replaced the bolted plate, with a smooth blank cast face at that site.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Halfway through the 2008 MY, the filter was replaced by a bolted cover plate.
For the 2009 MY, a new transmission housing replaced the bolted plate, with a smooth blank cast face at that site.
Tis a shame ... now the only access to the tranny fluid for extra filtering would be the cooler hoses. :(

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
After tearing mine down I can say that it was in definite need of being changed. The media was saturated with black particles / oil. I had flushed through 20 liters of Valvoline MaxLife ATF and was wondering why is was still getting dark...
You were flushing if you had a BG flushing machine. In which case 10 liters of new fluid would completely replace 10 liters of old fluid.

If you were draining and replacing, you were serially diluting old fluid with new fluid, 4 liters or so at a time, and even with driving between each draining, it would take more than 20 liters to completely clear the mixture.

Black particles trapped in the old filter media are not going come out and make the new fluid dark. Those particles are trapped and cannot make new fluid dark.

Did you actually cut open your old ATF filter?

If after sequential changes using 20 liters of ATF, if you cut open the old filter, you might have seen dark media. But Subaru may not have used media color to determine saturation and end of life.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts