Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 forester gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
i have a forester gt 2000 model automatic i used to drive a manual car the only reason i chose the auto because of my girlfriend. its been a year driving the auto and still missing the changing of gears. so im starting to convince my gf to convert it to manual but dont have a lot of knowledge about it. so im hoping any of you out there can give me some points in what to look for or any place to get it done. ive asked some friends they said get it done by subaru but the question is the money, do i have buy the gearbox from them or any secondhand well do.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like to know this also. I'm looking into an 2004-05 xt and alot come in auto and wondered if I could swap to a 5 or 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,260 Posts
If you don't have the knowledge/skill to do it yourself it will wind up costing more than the car is worth.

I have been on a lot of auto forums where this comes up. I bet less than 1 out of a thousand go on to do it.

Do a search.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
This list is not all inclusive. I may miss a few things.

You'll need:
ECU
transmission cross member
transmission
clutch
fly wheel
new drive shaft
associated wiring for reverse switch, neutral switch and other sensors
probably a new rear differential to match the FDR of the manual
probably new half shafts, hard to say

It would be easier if you had a complete drivetrain. Piecing it together would be a PITA and you may miss something. If you have a complete drivetrain, it shouldn't be too hard, but it will be intensive. However, you should be able to disconnect the engine from the transmission and then drop the entire drive linkage from the body and replace with the new one. Then it is just a multitude of electrical connections.

It can be done, it won't be easy.

·
Registered
2000 forester gt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys well after reading all those seems already a massive job.
i guess il stick with it till i have more money to trade to a manual car instead.
thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
358 Posts
My RS came with a 4EAT. For the longest time I wanted to swap in a manual. Then people started swapping in EJ20s with ease. I figured I would wait and swap in a 2.0L engine and 5MT transmission when mine bit the dust. At 130K miles it is still running strong and I'm saving up cash for the 2.5L turbo block and matching transmission from a STi. It is just easier to swap the entire thing out that piecemeal it.

I had a link to a site that detailed the swap on an older Legacy turbo, but I'm not sure if it is still up.

·
Registered
2009 Ralliart SST
231 Posts
I would like to know this also. I'm looking into an 2004-05 xt and alot come in auto and wondered if I could swap to a 5 or 6 speed.
yes you can, on my 04 FXT i used:
04 sti trans, 04 front and rear diffs, 04 front and rear hubs, 04 front and rear sti brakes (but it just needs the rears). 04 sti ecu, brake and clutch peddle, master cyl, clutch and flywheel, forester manual trans cross member, DCCD pro, VSS harness...and a bada$$ tech :woohoo:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts