Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
381 - 395 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
@StopSign

But what "exactly" does this wiring harness do? Is it some sort of resistor or does it short wires? And if it is this simple, then further more what is it dropping more resistance or shorting wires to? The one with the electronic relay is straight forward, I know exactly what is going on.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,559 Posts
If you want the absolute finite explanation on the “innards” of the Startstop Eliminator, I’d suggest you email the Eliminator manufacturer. I doubt anyone here has actually disassembled one. It does as advertised, nothing less, nothing more.

I’ve had one going on a year now installed on my 2019 Touring, and it works flawlessly, with no observed “side effects” at all. If you’re looking for a 5 minute or less install time, with easy plug-n-play installation, it will be quite difficult to improve on their unit. And, it can just as easily be uninstalled if you decide, for whatever reason, you don’t like it.

If you have the time, desire and capability, you’ll find instructions how to make your own in threads on this forum. They most likely operate in a similar fashion...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium
106 Posts
@StopSign

But what "exactly" does this wiring harness do? Is it some sort of resistor or does it short wires? And if it is this simple, then further more what is it dropping more resistance or shorting wires to? The one with the electronic relay is straight forward, I know exactly what is going on.

Thank you.
Like FelineFreddie, mine has worked fine. From posts here and elsewhere, the device apparently just sends the autostop off command onto the CANbus. On one of the other Subaru forums (Outback, I believe), one of the frequent posters had done some testing for the developer, who is available via email.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, I'm miffed now...my very first post was a reply to only a 5 or 6 reply thread in which I reference how the OP made it clear what his electronic relay was doing and he provided pretty clear instructions, even where to buy the relay and in-line fuse power pigtale. Now where did that post go. I got a notification in my inbox that the original thread was merged etc. Can someone please point me to that original thread discussion?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,640 Posts
It sounds like you’re referring to the post by member Triangles. It uses a $5 time delay relay to mimic the act of pressing the button after starting the car. No Canbus, nothing complicated. Here’s a link.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too went from Honda to a 2021 Forester limited. I did "Triangles" mod very easy if you can do simple soldering. The relay module fits very easily behind switch panel. The relay module can be found on eBay or amazon.
The original poster "Triangles" provided a Aliexpress model (size 2) here: 4.31US $ 31% OFF|1PCS Multifunction Digital Time Infinite Delay Switch Timer Relay Module Dc 5v 12v 24v|Relays| - AliExpress and the micro fuse add-a-circuit here: 1.22US $ |12V SMALL MEDIUM Car Fuse Add a circuit TAP Adapter Micro/Mini/Standard ATM APM Blade Auto Fuse holder|auto fuse|fuse holder12v fuse - AliExpress

Can you or someone link to suitable ones from amazon or ebay?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester Sport
84 Posts
Ok the only thing I dislike about my 21’ Forester Sport is the auto start/stop function that automatically turns on each time you start your car. The gas you save is at most 10-20 bucks a year but at what cost, the engine constantly turning like that can’t be good if you live in a city where you are always stopping and going. I try my best to remember to manually turn it off each time but I don’t always remember. Someone either posted it on here or on the Subaru Forester Reddit about it and mentioned this. I just installed the Auto stop eliminator from Autostop Eliminator - The only no-compromise solution! it’s is an easy install and can be removed easy if needed. It works like a charm and It’s well worth $99. Here’s a video showing how easy it is

On a side note I had to remove the nuts from the module like mentions in the video, a 10 mm ratchet does the job

·
Registered
2019 Subaru 2.5I-s Forrester
6 Posts
My comment is addressed to "Gizmo" who posted a comment on this thread. What was the item that you fitted to cut out the engine stop / restart feature. I have a 2019 2.5I-s Forester and would love to remove this feature?, I find it nothing but a pain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I want to find the best way to eliminate this Automatic Start Stop system. I get anxious every time it stops my engine while I'm waiting to turn left in traffic. Sometimes it's two or three times at a long green light in traffic.

Thanks to people here who provided links to the vendor of the eliminator.

I had a quick response from the vendor that sells the autostart stop eliminator.
I can order from their website
I get to pay for shipping; it's not much. Of course there's tax and duty at the border.
Cost in Canada will be substantially higher than in the USA. Oh well

I shall decide whether to go this route; I know which version to buy. (it's mounted under driver's seat)

Our Jeep had this feature too; after 1-1/2 years of driving I never remember to turn the switch off.

·
Registered
2020 Fozzie Sport
36 Posts
We just hit 1 year of ownership of our 2020 Forester Sport this past August. Also, 1 year since I installed the Auto Start Stop Eliminator as of yesterday. We currently have just a bit over 25,500 miles and we haven't touched that evil start/stop button in a year, ZERO ISSUES!

381 - 395 of 395 Posts