Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 Forester touring. The engine shuts off when stopped at a light. If I don't want it to do this I have to push the button each time I start the vehicle. I generally do that. My question is how long will the starter last if I continue to let the car restart at lights? Has anyone had enough experience with this or is it new? Thanks Larry

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,797 Posts
@lalkie welcome to the forum from Oregon!

You might also be interested in this thread:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring CVT7
268 Posts
I have a 2020 Forester touring. The engine shuts off when stopped at a light. If I don't want it to do this I have to push the button each time I start the vehicle. I generally do that. My question is how long will the starter last if I continue to let the car restart at lights? Has anyone had enough experience with this or is it new? Thanks Larry
Starter was redesigned to support it and Subaru been using Auto Stop/Start System for 6+ years, so it is not really new...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
No offense but the starter concern was essentially covered in this thread several times. I'll just say there is a fair share of speculation but if you;re looking for assurances of not encountering premature wear on components like these, you'll be disappointed. Having said that, the feature is not really "new" and I haven't heard of any kind of widespread issue with the starters on these cars equipped with auto s/s.

@oil dripper , Thanks for the additional pics. I may be looking to install this for the wife at some point since the feature is proving more of a PITA as time goes on. ......when we forget ot disable it.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
29 Posts
I just don’t see the big deal. We have AS/S on the Crosstrek too. Get in the car, leave it on or push the button and turn it off. It’s one button. That’s it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't want to permanently disable that feature. I guess I will live with it. It is a very nice car and I can shut it off when I want. Thanks for the reply Larry

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
@lalkie
That's the thing..... You're not really "permanently" disabling it with that Eliminator. You're simply turning the existing temporary toggle button into an on/off switch.

You can turn it back on with a push of that button and it will remain on. Turn it off and it remains off just like your fog lamp switch or similar.

.....so you don't have to just "live with it" those times that you don't want to.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X, 5 speed stick shift
25 Posts
I test drove the new Forester Limited. Leather and everything. Its very nice. I have to say I don't like the fact that the engine turns off/on automatically if you stop for 5 secs. The boxer is not a vey smooth engine, so you can clearly tell when it restarts. Plus if you are waiting for a break in traffic to make your turn with the engine shutoff... Not very reassuring...

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
9 Posts
I test drove the new Forester Limited. Leather and everything. Its very nice. I have to say I don't like the fact that the engine turns off/on automatically if you stop for 5 secs. The boxer is not a vey smooth engine, so you can clearly tell when it restarts. Plus if you are waiting for a break in traffic to make your turn with the engine shutoff... Not very reassuring...
I know many people complain about the auto so feature but for me it has worked flawlessly. Immediately when I take my foot off the brake it re-starts and ready to accelerate by the time I hit the gas pedal. If I happen to feel I want to be raring & ready to go, I just take my foot off the brake for a second, which causes it to restart and it will not auto stop again at that intersection.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did not check, but wonder if it can be disabled

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,512 Posts
I did not check, but wonder if it can be disabled
Yes and no. There is a button to disable but it only remembers "off" for the remainder of that trip. You have to remember to push the off button every time you start the car. However, there is a $99 aftermarket device (Auto Stop/Start Eliminator) that you can install that remembers your off or on preference until you push the button again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thank you. I didn’t know that device like that existed. But it would take care of my big issue with the new one.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
25 Posts
Started out with an 2002 Outback - brand new - the first one in the family. The old girl is still chugging along after 18 brutal PA salt brine winters, but even with the acute maintenance that I have done all myself - we would end up putting quite bit of money on her to keep it on the road. So when my wife retired last year - the plan was to upgrade her vehicle with a new Subaru. Of course we have seen the new Subaru's around over the years and my parents have an 2015 Forester Limited so we knew what we were in for. I am not a fan of any of the new safety features like EyeSight, the touch screen setups and especially this Auto Start Stop thing (which I know is not just Subaru). The bunny huggers in CA and in other parts of the world have pushed this feature down all of our throats, unwillingly in the name of protecting us from ourselves and to save the environment. They could care less what we think and just figure that we will get used to it over time - but at least we will be saving some miserable gasoline and cutting down on the smog - my rearend. So Auto Start Stop eliminator to the rescue on the 2020 Forester Premium that we finally decided on. I couldn't get my wallet out soon enough to buy one after watching a few videos and reading some the on line instructions. I cut the very nice and polite Subaru salesman that worked with us, off short when he started the safety feature lessons. He just covered how to temporarily disable each of them for the ride home and that was it. It is just a shame to have to spend $100.00 to fix something like this Auto Start Stop that should not have been tampered with in the first place. Our Club Car golf cart does the same thing - but it's a golf cart - not an over the road vehicle.

The Subaru dealer that we bought from has been in the Subaru only (he deals with no other brands) business over 50 years. I was talking to the owner and he asked me what made us want to buy a Subaru? I told him the story about our 2002 Outback and when I told him that if we could buy exactly the same vehicle in a 2020 version we would have bought it without hesitation, he was truly surprised by the look on his face. He replied that many of his repeat, loyal Subaru buyers almost all agree that the new vehicles are much safer and have advanced technologically - but shared his responses from many of his other customers that the government induced over-the-top safety features were something that they could live without and would not pay for if they had an option. Of course he couldn't agree with me and still be a politically correct new age Subaru dealer - but the wink he gave me was that he agreed with me wholeheartedly on all points. He suggested that a number of these "advances" have been brought on by the increasing high number of accidents due to younger people being fixated on their smartphones and generally having their heads up where the sun doesn't shine living their lives in an emotion filled world where drama and hiking the Himalayas before they are 30 are the rule of the day.

I will also be disabling by tape, black plastic bag, cardboard or physical removal of any and all safety equipment related to EyeSight and also TPMS monitoring at the first opportunity. I have managed to eliminate or disable it all on my 2020 Honda Accord with their Sensing system and don't have to reset anything after turning off and restarting the vehicle. Now I'm not advocating that others follow my lead, I am not trying to persuade others to not wear a seatbelt or disengage safety equipment. However, I do feel that there are ways around anything. If it gets to the point where it is no longer possible to do what I say I will do above - I'll go out and buy a restored older vehicle and take my good old chances - just like in the good old days. The tree huggers are going to win out eventually - but the rest of us are going to lose in the long run too. I've heard it said that if this is the future - then I don't want any part of it. Sorry for the initial rant on my first post here - but I hope to learn quite a bit and do the best I can to get my 2020 Forester to 2040 safe and sound. Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Be sure to disable the headlights, too. Don't want any of them new-fangled technology advances.

In fact, best just walk everywhere. Those horseless carriages are the work of the devil!

·
Registered
2020 Forester
25 Posts
I just disable the ones that I don't want and keep the rest. I don't drive at night anyway. You keep the ones that you do - how's that sound?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are two ways to permanently disable the auto stop/start system discussed on the site here. It should not be a deal-breaker, especially since it's already present on most other new cars, too.
I'm new on the forum. Where should i look for those 2 methods?
I've searched--and found this string of posts near page 17....

Dave
2019 Forester (CDN car)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The cover on my 2019 US Forester came off easily, not requiring any real force. I removed the screws (hidden behind the easily removed black plastic switch surround), while keeping the cover supported. Next I unclipped the front by pulling down lightly with my finger tips on each side, and then lowered the cover. The 2020 is likely similar. Basically, just be gentle. I found that cutting a black plastic wire tie that was holding a few wires made it easier to tuck the Autostop device and attached wires out of the way.
Interesting....I'm following this thread. Ours is 2019 but a Canadian Forester.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,797 Posts
361 - 380 of 380 Posts