Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

321 - 340 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Premium
6 Posts
Unless they call it something different in Canada I'm guessing you have the Premium trim?

Yeah, there is a nifty harness / module that you can buy for $100 USD from a company called Autostop Eliminator but the caveat is that it requires that you have the RAB (reverse auto braking) feature. Unfortunately, our Premiums don't.

I would let go of any hope that Subaru will do anything about it. If anything there may come a time when the option to turn it off is even taken away from consumers.

Personally, my hopes are with the aftermarket industry coming up with a plug and play solution for us.
I got tired of accidently poking the wrong nearby button to inhibit auto start/stop. A bit of fuzzy velcro just below the button allows me to find it by feel. As a feature: meh.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah, that off button is in a bad spot. I usually have to lean over to look. I have black hook and loop tape. I thought about putting a little piece on the button itself just below the "off" text.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,512 Posts
Yeah, that off button is in a bad spot. I usually have to lean over to look. I have black hook and loop tape. I thought about putting a little piece on the button itself just below the "off" text.
If the Forester switch/button panel is anything like Crosstrek, it looks like it's pretty easy to re-arrange the buttons. Start viewing at 1:25 into this video:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
@ForesterBill

Thanks for that. Yeah, i have the fog lamp kit in the way this week which I'll be installing. Obviously, part of that it putting the new switch in so it may be something I'll check out. .....but I'll check with my wife first since it's her car. I'll need to make sure it works for her.

·
Registered
495 Posts
For what it’s worth here is an update. For the sake of science I tried letting autostop activate during my commutes at lights. I prevented it from activating during stop and go type stuff, only red lights... A is current fuel tank, B is lifetime, computer is reporting 29.3 for fuel economy on trip A, this is typically around 2 mpg higher than actual. I will fill my tank tomorrow and see if that’s right.

·
Registered
2020 Forester 2.5 CVT base model
265 Posts
@lgmauibeachgirl
With the Reverse Braking system you have the option of purchasing a patch harness that takes care of the Auto stop/start.. The module is under the drivers seat and easy to get to.
Never done it, but it looks like a 5 min job.

·
Registered
2020 Forester - Base
18 Posts
Recently purchased a 2020 Forester with a-s-s. I have modified my driving to accommodate the system by pausing after releasing the brake pedal to allow the engine to completely restart rather than going direct from brake pedal to gas pedal. This seems to smooth out the driving but one time the guy behind me honked his horn! My only complaint is that in order to maintain the a-s-s in stop mode I need to really press hard on the brake pedal. If I apply my “normal” brake pressure the engine does not turn off at stops. I’m not impressed with the mpg that my Forester gets so I gladly try to use the a-s-s to get better mpg.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
237 Posts
There are two ways to permanently disable the auto stop/start system discussed on the site here. It should not be a deal-breaker, especially since it's already present on most other new cars, too.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forrester touring, Magnetite Gray metallic
28 Posts
Notes on S/S (start/stop)
Not sure it’s worth the wear and tear on parts but it is nice and quiet at some stops.
(slamming on the brakes hard at the very end seems to engage the S/S)

It took;
2 h 03’ 20” to save 1.000 gallons
1624.2 miles
so at 25 miles/gallon .:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There is an extensive list of reasons the Auto S/S will not engage listed in the manual. In my wife's car it maybe engages 1/2 or perhaps 1/3 off the time. ......which is simply a reminder for me to turn it off.

Yesterday, I was trying to merge onto a busy street with a blind corner which is normally not a problem as the car will accelerate "ok" under normal circumstances. However, I didn't realize the auto stop had engaged and there was a delay when I hit the gas. .....to the point where I had to abandon my attempt (as a car rounded the corner). Most times its an annoyance. ....that time it was close to being a safety hazard which has convinced me even more to buy the Autostop Eliminator

I was able to deal with the situation but I'm not so sure how my wife would have coped in a similar scenario. I'm worried she may have continued to merge after the hesitation. ....now that concerns me.

@lgmauibeachgirl
With the Reverse Braking system you have the option of purchasing a patch harness that takes care of the Auto stop/start.. The module is under the drivers seat and easy to get to.
Never done it, but it looks like a 5 min job.
They recently began offering an alternative for the rest of us without RAB. It taps into the Eyesight harness accessible under the overhead cover. Same price, just a different place it taps in to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is an extensive list of reasons the Auto S/S will not engage listed in the manual. In my wife's car it maybe engages 1/2 or perhaps 1/3 off the time. ......which is simply a reminder for me to turn it off.
I hear what you are saying there! No disrespect to our wives driving ability, but those situations ,as you described, need split second decisions.
The Autostop harness alternative interests me a lot. Not sure how to see if it is available here in Australia. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Looks like you might have to contact them about shipping internationally. I don't think they use distributors.

Also might want to ask them in regard to potential differences between versions from your country and the U.S. .....although I would imagine they would work on both.

I'm currently not aware of another company offering a similar product for our cars unfortunately.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,512 Posts
There is an extensive list of reasons the Auto S/S will not engage listed in the manual.
Which is why it is a very complex system. Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks like you might have to contact them about shipping internationally. I don't think they use distributors.
I got on to the Autostop website and it seems like the product is compatible with our models and can be shipped overseas.
The demo video shows the Outback fitting process as the Forester video has not yet been completed. The Outback has studs and clips where my Forester appears to have clips only to hold the Eyesight cover trim in place. They did mention that the process was nearly the same , but not exactly.
If anyone has had a 2020 Forester Eyesight cover off I would like to know. My experience with plastic covers and clips is breakage unless the correct manner is followed.
That would seem to be the hardest part of the operation for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The cover on my 2019 US Forester came off easily, not requiring any real force. I removed the screws (hidden behind the easily removed black plastic switch surround), while keeping the cover supported. Next I unclipped the front by pulling down lightly with my finger tips on each side, and then lowered the cover. The 2020 is likely similar. Basically, just be gentle. I found that cutting a black plastic wire tie that was holding a few wires made it easier to tuck the Autostop device and attached wires out of the way.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
962 Posts
I purchased one immediately afe they became available several months ago (RAB version) and installed in immediately.

Its worked flawlessly ever since installation. I highly recommend it!

321 - 340 of 380 Posts