Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of you may have seen my post in my journal thread about my little worn ring/low compression issue. I was planning on tossing in a rebuilt shortblock this summer, but I've since heard about this auto-rx stuff. Any opinions? Here's my UOA. I did a compression check and it seemed a little low across the board (I can't recall the actual numbers, but they were below spec).

Auto-Rx Internal Engine Cleaner Sludge Remover, Transmission Motorcycle Diesel. Reduces Emissions

Think it could help? I mean, I'm willing to try if it can make things better and I can postpone the surgery (so that I can gather my supercharger goodies and go to STI internals during the process... don't have the money or time to do it and get it tuned this summer). If it could give me a year or two to get my crap together, it would be awesome.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*bump* Mods, maybe move this to the engine/exhaust forum? I wasn't sure which it belonged in.

·
Registered
2003 forester
7 Posts
I don't want to rain on your parade, but a "over haul in can"? Sounds too good to be true and when things sound to good to be true, they are usually not true. You have low compression and need new rings at the least.

Still, with the engine this far gone, what have you got to loose....just the money out of pocket for the AutoRx. If it works, I suggest you also buy a hand full of Lottery tickets while your luck is in full swing!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
218 Posts
Auto-RX is some amazing stuff when it comes to sludge and poor maintenance in the oil dept. If you rings are worn due to mechanical wear than I wouldn't expect much out of it. If they are stuck because of lack of oil changes then yes you may see benefit.

The one thing you will get is a cleaner engine either way. So yes do it.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ Yeah, I'd thought about doing it anyway to clean up the heads before the new shortblock goes in.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but a "over haul in can"? Sounds too good to be true and when things sound to good to be true, they are usually not true. You have low compression and need new rings at the least.

Still, with the engine this far gone, what have you got to loose....just the money out of pocket for the AutoRx. If it works, I suggest you also buy a hand full of Lottery tickets while your luck is in full swing!
:lol: Was not expecting an overhaul in a can (but wouldn't that me marvelous?). I'm currently rebuilding a Chevy Small Block... I know that won't even fit in a can! :biggrin:

I was looking at it as more of a temporary band-aid. Ah well. I'll probably buy some and run it though just to see what happens. I've heard some pretty incredible things about it's cleaning abilities. It has had regular oil changes at 4-7k miles all it's life, but it was done at the dealer with the cheapest stuff they could find.

The whole idea was to get it to last another year, then overhaul with STI internals, and put an Eaton M62 blower in. I can still do the M62 later, but will have to be more careful with the boost without STI internals. The hurdle is not obtaining the blower, but obtaining the TMIC, and mainly, the hood. Have to source one from a Baja Turbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.