Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is a question for those who have Forester with auto on/off headlights feature.

I have a 2019 touring and when I set the light control switch to off, the headlights will come back on when I shift into drive when i'm in a low lighting area and then shuts back off when im in an area where it's bright. Ex. going from a garage to outside.

It's seem like i'm still using auto. So I'm not sure why they have an off feature if I can't always have my lights off(other than DRL).

any of you have the same experience? The owner's manual wasn't helpful on how the off feature suppose to work.

Thanks,
subbier.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
47 Posts
My GAWD! I've been searching all this week for someone experiencing the same issue. Noticed it the first morning of ownership.

I need to call or visit the dealership again because this is concerning to me.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
293 Posts
My 2010 Jetta had the same headlight feature. Nice when entering a dark parking garage.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,449 Posts
Hi. This is a question for those who have Forester with auto on/off headlights feature.

I have a 2019 touring and when I set the light control switch to off, the headlights will come back on when I shift into drive when i'm in a low lighting area and then shuts back off when im in an area where it's bright. Ex. going from a garage to outside.

It's seem like i'm still using auto. So I'm not sure why they have an off feature if I can't always have my lights off(other than DRL).

any of you have the same experience? The owner's manual wasn't helpful on how the off feature suppose to work.

Thanks,
subbier.
Are you sure you're not seeing your DRLs going on and off? On my 2018 my DRLs do not come on until I shift into drive.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
160 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, but i thought the new Subaru has the C shaped DRLs now, why did it become a halogen?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you're not seeing your DRLs going on and off? On my 2018 my DRLs do not come on until I shift into drive.
My DRL are the c shape lights (unless subaru thinks otherwise), i can see it on all the time.

when i put the car into gear, i can see the led headlight/bulb comes on while the c shape headlight remains on.

Once the ambience sensor detects brightness it will then turn off the led headlight/bulb and the c shape light remains on.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
On my "17 XT with the auto feature if the switch is set to 'off" the headlights will not go on at all. Switch set to "Auto" the lights come on in low light conditions and off in daylight. The sensitivity is selected through a settings function. If the switch is set to the 'on" position the headlights will come on as soon as the key is placed in the ignition. The key just has to be in the ignition not turned just in. So if you leave the key in all the time as some do in the garage the headlights will be on and a dead battery will result.

What you describe should not happen unless the switch is different and the auto feature is a 'default" or that's the way the "19 Is set up. You owners manual should explain this in detail.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
47 Posts
My experience shows this to be a safety feature. When in the off position it does go on but only until it hits sunlight. The thinking may be if you're in a garage and forget to turn on your lights it would be unsafe. By doing this they increase safety. It is different from the auto on/off lights because it seems once off they stay off until you stop/start the ignition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts