Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2014 XT. Im mostly happy. Although after driving a 2006 for a number of years. It's is certainly much cushier. I want to take the automatic hydraulic out entirely. I'm happy to open and close the lift-gate myself. Is this a possible scenario or I'm I setting myself up for a world of hurt?

Please weigh in. Thanks

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,739 Posts
@8lackie you now have your own thread, as it didn't fit in the thread you posted in. :wink:

I'm going to guess that could be too much trouble to remove the automatic lift gate system? :confused:

I'd recommend living with it for awhile to see if you get used to it or you could be a "trailblazer" & be the first to do this modification!

Oh yes, congratulations on the new Forester purchase! :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: 8lackie

·
Registered
2018 Fozie XT
73 Posts
Follow. I am wondering if there is a fuse or some electrical to disable it. Its slowness to open drives me insane.

I could use that fuse for other mod. ;)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,745 Posts
Just press the button on the outer trim panel for more than a few seconds and you can open all on your own.

Or psuh the button on the key fob from a fewfeet further back so you're still walking while it opens.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses. This is a lovely car, but feels bloated after buzzing around in my 2006 Forester. Yes Bobby, you're right, Ill live with it for a while. Trail blazing may still be in the future. :)

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boom!

Subaru Outback.org: Convert power lift gate to manual in 3 steps

I've yet to determine if this is my solution. But I'm going to investigate. I noticed on the Forester and Outback forum people with broken, or always breaking, lift gate issues. What a clusterfap! I will keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
Convert power liftgate to manual liftgate?

Wife and I are finding the power liftgate to be more hassle than it's worth... it's slow, glitchy, and the screw/lift assembly rattles on certain roads.

Is it possible to convert the car to manual liftgate? I was thinking of removing the lift rod that connects the hatch to the screw knuckle, and perhaps disconnecting the wire harness to the screw motor. My only concern is that the system is more complicated than I'm imagining and would freak out if I start modifying it.

Do I need to purchase the manual liftgate hatch latch? Will it work with the wire harnesses in the liftgate designed for the power liftgate latch?

Any ideas? :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ryan_calif Check my previous post Ryan, it has a link to an Outback owner who describes removing the automated part of his liftgate. It may get you on your way.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
20 Posts
I'd definitely be curious to hear how this works out if you do it. I'm similarly annoyed by the slowness of the hatch. Plus, people who don't know how it work pull on it and it starts going, but they don't know that, so they pull harder, and it's not good. The only benefit is being able to open it from the driver's seat while someone is approaching with their hands full. It can also be nice to press the button to close, then grab a load of stuff from the cargo area quickly and let it close on its own with full hands.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@lmoore8 Well a month on, I'm living with it but I,m not loving it. Slow, as you point out and too easy to torque, if you forget, or someone isn't used to it. I'm waiting for the weather to warm again, and then I'll look at removing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts