Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I've been looking into getting one of these to keep in my car.
Auto LED :: General Use Lights :: Coast LED Lenser Lights :: Discount LED Lights & Knives

I read one review that said an Outback owner couldn't get it to fit properly in his cigarette lighter. He said it fit in the slot, but not deep enough to make contact and charge. Anybody have one or have any experience with them in a Subaru Forester?

Thanks.
I have no first hand experience with that particular light, but I have seen similar models and IMHO they are no where near worth $20 (closer to $2). The light output is so pathetic.

Another issue to consider is that the Subaru cig receptacles are only active while the key is turned on. This will limit the time the light has to charge to only when you're in the car.

I ended up buying a 3-pk of Husky mini LED aluminum flashlights (from Home Depot SKU#975-462; I got mine on sale for $5/per 3pk) and put one in the glove box, one in the trunk, and one in my kitchen "crap" drawer. Gobs of light for cheap.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I use one of these when tinkering in dark places around the house and in the Forester, they leave your hands free for whatever, they are also good for working inside computers if you don't have extra bright lights in the house.

Also I use Lithium batteries in mine to reduce battery drain when not in use.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited Auto w/nav
898 Posts
I bought one of those auto lights for my Prius. It also did not fit the recepticle. One would think that these things were standard sized, but evidently not.

I regret buying it. What works better is a Home Depot rechargable solar flashlight. I just store it where it can catch some rays (Prius has a seat back pocket that works greaet) and it is always charged up. The flashlight also has a battery back up. Nice sized too.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,082 Posts
Watch the coupons and you can frequently pick up a 9-LED light free at Harbor Freight.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
A friend gave me one of these as a gift:

Amazon.com: Nebo Highbeam Rechargeable Flashlight 35 Lumens(Colors may Vary): Electronics

I didn't think much of it at first but I gave it a shot. Believe it or not I use it a lot more than I thought I would. This one is pretty bright. It fits fine in the power port of my new legacy and in my wifes Tribeca. It has a dim red LED that shines when charging but you can also turn that off (but it's not charging then) I have a gray one and it matches the dash well enough.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts