Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... one of my major gripes...

I did the mod, which attaches a PC fan to the end of the sensor tube, sucking air...

it seemed to be an improvement right after I finished the mod, mind you the weather was getting warm at that time..

this time, in the dead of winter, the hvac just sucks lards... when the car first starts up, the system blows HOT HOT air... waaaay past the set temperature... often I have to open the windows cuz it's so hot... it's probably a good 5-10C over the set temperature...

then after awhile, prob. 30min, it gets COLD, prob. 5-10C colder than the set temp... at which point, I usually have to manually override and increase the temp cuz it's so cold...

this seems to be even worse than OEM.. I checked the fan, it's still spinning, and it's still connected to the tube...

WHAT'S GOING ON ?

Anyone shed some light ?

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Try disconnecting the fan for the winter...mine is working fine in AK...I do a remote start, and within 10 minutes, it's within a few degrees of set temperature, seats are waiting for some weight to trip the switch that lets them heat up, and away we go!
-Quick

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Here are some winter usage tips from samiam_68's website:

Winter Usage Tips and Tricks

The CC-Fix kit will start to regulate and even out the temp pretty quickly, but there's nothing I can think of that can be done to completely eliminate the initial blast of heat that lasts about a minute or so in very cold weather - that's just how the system reacts when the sensor is very cold.

To minimize this initial heat blast and warm up the sensor quicker, I recommend CLOSING the outside dash vents almost all the way (3/4 or more). This will reduce the hot air to your face and hands, and direct more to the floor - that way it will reach the sensor quicker. (If you look closely, the little "grille" slats on the sensor cover are slanted downward - it draws air predominantly from below rather than from above).

I keep my outer dash vents partially closed all winter, and it makes a difference.
http://www.geocities.com/samiam_68/SubaruCCS/SSC_Fix.htm

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I'll try that and see what happens...

but instead of the initial 1min blast, it seems to last like 10min...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,967 Posts
This is really weird. Seems to be a big case of YMMV. The HVAC system in my 2003 XS merely suxx in the summer, but it suxxxxxx really big in winter.

Installing samiam's fix is on my list of stuff to do come springtime when I open up the panel and do stuff deep inside there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help with CCFix Kit please

Fan helps airflow and improves temperature adjustments, but the fan runs all the time. I would like to hook it up so that the CCFix Kit runs only when the HVAC fan is running. Can anyone help me identify where I should make the electrical connection to accomplish this.
Thx.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,967 Posts
Good idea. Connecting to the blower itself would not be wise as its speed is controlled by a resistor. However, the entire blower assembly is controlled by a relay, so connecting the fan across the relay coil (contacts 1 and 3) looks like it would work fine. See diagram.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not too familiar with physical locations of things from the wiring diagrams.
Is it possible to get pics of what you are talking about?
Thx

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,967 Posts
I've studied the wiring diagram more carefully and I've got to back off of my suggestion regarding the blower relay. It turns out that the relay is always on.

I got fooled by what appeared to be a wire from the relay to the AC control module labeled GB in the diagram, but on further reading I fond out that GB turns out to be an abbreviation for Body Ground. This means that there's always electricity at terminal 1 of the motor. With terminal 5 of the motor going to ground, this appears to say that the remaining terminal 2, which connects to some inscrutable place in the AC control module, is what actually controls the motor speed.

Backoff position: follow Peaty's advice and leave it as it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When the HVAC is running, it masks the noise of the fan. But I run HVAC less than 1/2 the time. So the fan is noticeable and a bit annoying. I am going to see if i can get used to it.
Thx.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
My XS must be the odd Forester out here as I have no problems whatsoever with the ACC in any situation.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
problem tends to be more prominent when it's below 0C outside... being from Australia I suspect that you have more exposure to above 0C conditions than below...

I did try the suggestion of shutting down the side vents, forcing more air to the floor..

it does seem to help a bit..

I also noticed the following:

Problem only occurs when I'm travelling at 100km/h on the highway... in this context, it appears I need to increase the temp 3-4 degrees to compensate for the more colder air coming in via the side dash vents

In town, my system works fine..

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
twg said:
problem tends to be more prominent when it's below 0C outside... being from Australia I suspect that you have more exposure to above 0C conditions than below...

I did try the suggestion of shutting down the side vents, forcing more air to the floor..

it does seem to help a bit..

I also noticed the following:

Problem only occurs when I'm travelling at 100km/h on the highway... in this context, it appears I need to increase the temp 3-4 degrees to compensate for the more colder air coming in via the side dash vents

In town, my system works fine..
You are more than welcome to the bloody cold mate!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts