Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
It makes the transmission start in 2nd gear so you have a chance to get grip on ice.
The US version don't have this switch. There you put the gear selector in 2nd and it starts in 2nd. Does the same trick.

·
Registered
99 stb
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also theres a little black "button" just above the gearstick to the left,is this for anything?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
also theres a little black "button" just above the gearstick to the left,is this for anything?
little black button. Not sure what button you talk about. got a pic?

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
It makes the transmission start in 2nd gear so you have a chance to get grip on ice.
The US version don't have this switch. There you put the gear selector in 2nd and it starts in 2nd. Does the same trick.
Are you sure about that Elmy?

I've only used it once....I was starting on a hill that I could hardly stand up on, but it certainly didn't feel like it was pulling away in second

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Are you sure about that Elmy?

I've only used it once....I was starting on a hill that I could hardly stand up on, but it certainly didn't feel like it was pulling away in second
Ofc I never driven one but that's what people here are saying. :shrug:
Or you meant the winter switch?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Now I see your from UK I bet you meant the switch. It does make the car start in second. Notice how much gas you must give before the car starts moving....
The power switch and the AT hold switch aka winter switch can't be on on the same time just so you know.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
HOLD/SNOW button ? POWER button on UK AT gearlever means later changes when right foot mashed to floor and possibly earlier gearchanges down but unsure on last point.

Does ANYONE ACTUALLY know about teh POWER button?!!!

(???) As Adam Ant sang "it's a mystery"....

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
Mines a rocker switch it has three positions (2005 car)

Normal AT (middle)
Hold ( snow flake symbol)
Power

If i put it into power, power lights up on the dash....if i move the shifter to sports mode the light on the dash goes out, so i guess that the power mode is similar to sports mode

As for the hold, as I said, it doesn't feel like the cars in second, but I'll try putting into second to compare

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
HOLD/SNOW button ? POWER button on UK AT gearlever means later changes when right foot mashed to floor and possibly earlier gearchanges down but unsure on last point.

Does ANYONE ACTUALLY know about teh POWER button?!!!

(???) As Adam Ant sang "it's a mystery"....
The power button I think is meant for more agressive gearing. so earlier gear change yes.
The AT Hold/snow button is for slow start, meaning it starts in higher gear.
So to get going the engine needs a higher rpm then normal.

So because of the intended use of these 2 switches, it's no wonder they can't be used at the same time.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Mines a rocker switch it has three positions

Normal AT (middle)
Hold ( snow flake symbol)
Power

If i put it into power, power lights up on the dash....if i move the shifter to sports mode the light on the dash goes out, so i guess that the power mode is similar to sports mode

As for the hold, as I said, it doesn't feel like the cars in second, but I'll try putting into second to compare
For european cars you normally can't just put it in 2nd gear like that. It will still start in 1st.
I only heard about the US edition that does start in 2nd when 2nd is selected as they lack the hold switch.

Edit: Yours is different then mine. I got 2 switches for this operation. Maybe yours is broken?

·
Registered
2011 Volvo XC60 Auto
554 Posts
Edit: Yours is different then mine. I got 2 switches for this operation. Maybe yours is broken?
to be fair, mine's a bit later and a 2.5, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the hold would work the same way on both

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
the little black button is there so you can move the gear selector when there is no kney in the iginition.

Press it and you'll see.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
the little black button is there so you can move the gear selector when there is no kney in the iginition.

Press it and you'll see.
If it's the button on the gear selector it would also function as a lock while driving to prevent the gear selector to hit reverse or something. Mine atleast locks out 1,2, P and reverse when it's in D or 3rd. Need to push the button in first.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
When foot is mashed to the floor the Power button makes no difference; the gearbox will let the engine redline with or without the button. It makes a difference on medium throttle openings, but not a dramatic difference. E.g. 3000 shift point for a medium throttle opening might change to 4000 rpm. I've driven cars where it did more. And it correspondingly makes part-throttle downshifts require less pedal travel. I have read that it's supposed to make the shifts harder too, but I can't feel it.

What it doesn't seem to affect (and IMO should) is the reluctance of this particular transmission to drop down to first gear when coming to a near-halt on a closed throttle. So when you get back on the gas hard at 5mph it tries to take off in second, bogs, hesitates, downshifts and then all hell breaks loose :-/

-- Steve

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts

Press it and you'll see.
be carefull when you push the little black button!

make sure you are sat in the drivers seat with foot on the brake pedal, or have the hand brake applied.

i broke down in a petrol station and needed to push the car out of the way... (nobody helped... everybody just stared at me like i had two heads!)

i pressed the button and put the car into neutral (whilst stood outside of the car)

i didnt realise how heavy the forester was..... too heavy to push alone!

it rolled back and almost hit the car behind.

it was only then that the guy behind me offered to help!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts