Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been reading this forum and found tons of useful information. I haven't posted much and decided to share what I've done with my Forester over the last few years.

First I upgraded tweetters - Genuine Subaru H631SFJ100 Tweeter Kit. It cost me $94 on Amazon
The sound improvement were very noticeable and I started to hear sounds in the music that I've never heard before.
Then I upgraded speakers - Genuine Subaru H631SSG000 Speaker Kit. $192 on Amazon. The sound improved quite a bit. The base became more clear and deeper. However with all of the twitters in the front and on all of the 4 speakers, highs were overpowering everything. I tried changing equalizer settings (including "secret" settings) to reduce highs. However, every time I tried to do this I lost a lot of other sounds I didn't want to lose. So I removed tweeters from the front completely and only left 4 speakers in the doors. The sound was a lot better than the stock 6 speakers, but clarity in highs dropped.

My next step was to add subwoofer - SSL LOPRO8 Amplified Subwoofer 600 Watts for around $110. Reading reviews I knew it wouldn't shake my car, but it should be enough to round up the bass nicely and I hoped that the one I bought wouldn't break too soon (so far 3 years later it still works). I added PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter for $10 on Amazon and used BOSS AUDIO KIT2 20 ft. High Performance RCA Interconnect to set up my subwoofer which I connected to the front speaker outputs behind the HU. Subwoofer was placed under the front driver seat. It is not sitting there flat, but rather a bit diagonally. I had no issues with vibration, movements etc. I also did not use anything to tie it down, it just lays there. After some tinkering the sound improved quite dramatically for my personal taste. In fact I could turn up the music and a rear view mirror would start to shake.

Next on my upgrade list was insulation. I bought some Noico Black 80 Mil X 36 Sq Ft Self-adhesive Foil & Butyl Sound Deadening Under Carpet and Mat, Replace Oem, Automotive Audio Deadener & Dampening Insulation for Cars & Trucks for $64 on Amazon.
I installed it in all of the doors, the bottom of the trunk and I have plenty more left (I plan to use it for engine firewall someday). My forester didn't have much insulation and the doors sounded like an aluminum can before installation of the Noico. Now closing doors sounds a lot nicer and the road noise has reduced somewhat (not dramatically, but it was worth it for me).

The next thing I did was change those terrible (in my opinion) tires to Michelin Premier LTX from tire rack (also sold at Costco). That was the biggest reduction of the road noise and I started to hear wind noise (which was drowned out by road noise before).

The most recent upgrade was to buy Pioneer AVH-2440NEX from Newegg for $330 (I bought 2330NEX, but the sent me 2440NEX, which to me seems like the exact same thing). I also bought 20-pin Subaru/Nissan Headunit/Radio Wiring Harness with Steering Wheel Switch wires for $18 on Amazon. PAC USB-TY1 toyota/Lexus OEM USB Port Retention Cable for $11 on Amazon. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface for $48 on Amazon. Metra 95-8905B Double DIN Dash Installation Kit for Select 2012-Up Subaru Impreza Vehicles (Black) for $10 on Amazon.
APPS2Car Parking Brake Bypass Video in Motion Interface Module for Select Pioneer Stereo Radio DVD Receivers - fits All Pioneer AVH AVH-P AVH-X MVH DVH and NEX Video Units for $9 on Amazon. And a AUX retention 16-pin harness from Auto Harness House for $16 including shipping costs which I have yet to install.
I bought soldering iron kit from Amazon to solder all the wires together and bought Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ Microphone for Car DVD Receivers for $20 something to use auto EQ. I installed twitters back, removed PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter and connected subwoofer directly to the HU.

The resulting sound is amazing. I can hear all of the sounds loud and clear. The bass is nice although I never expected it to be comparable to what a proper big subwoofer would produce. The look of this stereo is nice, not quite the OEM look, but close to it, and better than before. The colors match. I have Waze on my headunit and no need for phone holders. USB and Aux ports under the central arm rest still work and all of the steering wheel controls work perfectly well. And I am finally happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts