Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has been mentioned in another thread, but I thought I'd remind everyone to check the dealer's work...

Went in for the fuel valve recall yesterday. Besides a strong smell of gas after the service, it seemed they did a good job.

Fast forward to today...I went to put something under the rear floor and noticed the left Styrofoam storage area was loose. Turns out there was a fastener missing. No biggie, I'll get one from the dealer. This got me thinking about the rest of the service and, before I knew, it I took the whole cargo area apart. The left and right storage areas simply pop up with a little pressure since they are only held in place with small plastic fasteners.

From reading the threads on here, I knew removing the front cargo floor is a bit of a pain because it is held in place by much stronger fasteners. It is easy to break the Styrofoam and, upon closer inspection, that's exactly what my dealer did to remove the piece.

I included a couple photos to show what I'm talking about. I'm sure my car is not the only one with this type of damage. I'll admit the whole repair is a pain - flimsy Styrofoam, tough fasteners and reaching into the fuel tank of all things, but if Subaru is mandating it, the repair should be done properly without causing further damage. If I could, I'd probably just glue it back into place but the pieces they broke off aren't there.

Hopefully breaking the floor to remove it is not standard practice, but I will be stopping by first thing in the morning and politely requesting a new piece. I'll let you know what the dealer says...

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I have the floor removed, I opened the access panel and the top of the tank (fittings, seals, etc) were dry. There is still a faint smell of fuel, but I feel better knowing there aren't obvious signs of a leak.

Hopefully your dealer was a little better about removing the floor.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Since I have the floor removed, I opened the access panel and the top of the tank (fittings, seals, etc) were dry. There is still a faint smell of fuel, but I feel better knowing there aren't obvious signs of a leak.

Hopefully your dealer was a little better about removing the floor.
I just ran out and took the spare access door and tray out. I didn't take the hole floor out like you did. But every thing is in place I wouldn't really call it all tight its not flopping around ether.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if I hadn't found my left tray loose. The front piece wasn't really loose because it's sort of held in place by the stuff around it.

It's really about the principle...if you're making me take my car in for a recall don't break stuff trying to "fix" it.

This is why I don't like other people working on my car.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Auto
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got back from the dealer. Funny how they're never quite as receptive to you when you are discussing a problem.

The service manager agreed to find me a replacement off one of the used cars in the lot, but since I had to leave to go to an appointment we are going to address this next week. I spoke briefly with a tech away from the service manager and he said breaking the styrofoam is pretty much standard practice.

I wonder how they're going to get one out of a used car without breaking it when they couldn't do it with mine. This should be interesting...

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Here any thing yet about this? I want to know how it goes. I have a feeling they did the same thing to my car. I just don't want to rip every thing out of the back to find out.

·
Registered
2008 Forester LL Bean
8 Posts
Just saw this thread - ran outside to take a look and you can add me to the list for the broken styrofoam following the fuel valve recall fix.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
Now I have to check mine, I have notice a difference on my fuel gauge though, I used to be able to get 375mi out of a tank, but now I only get around 325mi. I was attributing it to Winter gas, but We will see.
Has anyone seen a drastic reductiion in fuel economy?

When I took my 2.5X into the Local Dealership (10 minutes away) for the 60k mi service, they didn't even close the Radiator valve fully, I found it leaking. Also they spilled antifreeze all over the Plastic skidplate. Dealer didn't think it was a big deal. On top of it I'm not sure the put the Same skidplate back on, "after cleaning" or if some of it is missing. I don't remember it looking so small/short before, but never paid much attention to it before. I will find out for sure when I take it back to the Dealer, where purchased (over an hour away)for the next service.
Oh, and did I tell you about how they were clocked going 65mph in a 35mph Business Zone. I have a GPS in my vehicle that transmits info by Ham Radio. I got a phone call from a friend at the Local EOC (911 center). I mentioned it to the service manager, his response was, Big Deal. I won't go there again, unless the dealer I purchased from, tells me, the Skidplate is wrong/part missing. Then I will go back for the replacement.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
Now I have to check mine, I have notice a difference on my fuel gauge though, I used to be able to get 375mi out of a tank, but now I only get around 325mi. I was attributing it to Winter gas, but We will see.
Has anyone seen a drastic reductiion in fuel economy?

I got the same problem. I don't drive the car on a daily basis as it's my wife's car but on weekends or when taking longer trips i've noticed it too.
Usually I was able to do about 200-220 on a first half and now we struggle to get 180.
The reserve light also came on at 300 yesterday, normally we could get at least 330 out of the tank.
Maybe it's the winter tires and gas.
We'll see. I'm starting to discover more an more negative things with this car.
And the worse is still ahead as tomorrow I'll be checking the head gaskets during the oil change :icon_eek:

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
why would you be checking th ehead gaskets????
It has nothing to do with the transmission but it was a side item that I decided to check after hearing all the problems other people have. Turns out i was right and there are leaks on both sides. Went to the dealer today and they confirmed. I'm scheduled to have this repaired next week. Thank god i had time yesterday and was browsing this forum as i only have 300 miles left before the power train warranty expires.

·
Registered
2005 Forestor
14 Posts
I checked the back after it was done and everything was nice and secure. Of course I mentioned to the tech that there were incidents of the other techs breaking the styrofoam!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
I pulled the styrofoam out of the back on 2 different foresters , '00 and '04 to install trailer wiring (running extra wiring to front for trailer brakes and aux power). Some of the fasteners are a little difficult. If you even halfway take your time and have the right tools it is possible to remove intact with little or no damage. Here is a tool like I have:

Another part of the job is wiggling the pieces after you think you have all the fasteners removed before just yanking them out. There were 1 or 2 pieces where I had to look more carefully and found another fastener I had missed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts