Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you live where old man winter serves up a hefty dose of the below zero and your Foz is older, keep an eye on the hoses in the engine bay, especially the fuel lines.

Smelled gas in the car today. It's the first night/day here where we saw below 0 ambient temps.

A small hose joining the fuel lines together was leaking (steady drip) onto the intake manifold. The cold must have done it in (2001 Forester with 90K miles).

I have fuel hose to replace it with and will do this first thing in the morning. It looks like its in a real bear of a place to get to, so this three inch hunk of hose will probably take an hour or more to replace.

Did I mention my garage is unheated? :icon_cry:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Did I mention my garage is unheated? :icon_cry:
Lowe's is selling a kick-*** space heater for $40 bucks that I'm currently using in my garage for the dogs (we have an indoor kennel in the garage). Warms the entire 3-car garage quick!

Good luck on the repair. At least only a hose broke with yours, my entire windshield cracked while I was driving from one side to the other last winter. I'm still waiting to see what this winter will bring. Fingers crossed. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I smell gasoline everytime the car is cold but I think it's smelling from the exhaust. It's running lean I guess when it's cold. Can't see anything under the hood that indicates a leak but I could always hope. thirsty thing that is.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
I had this issue with my 02 WRX.Local dealler replaced gas lines under warranty.

joe r

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed my issue by replacing the OEM band type hose clamps on the leaky line with some worm drive hose clamps.

It seems the band type clamps were loosened up by repeated hot/cold cycling, and the sub-zero temperatures had them not even hand tight any more.

The rubber hose itself is OK.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
I'm going to check under my hood . I have also been smelling fuel as or recently when it got cold. I thought it might be the exhaust, but now I am concerned about a broken fuel line....I will post if I find anything.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just confirmed.....leaking fuel from fuel line/clamp connection.
Did you replace the clamps?

It's not a terribly hard task, even if the clamps in question are in an awkward spot. For me the biggest problem was doing this in an unheated garage (no way I was going to fire up the "Big Buddy" space heater with gasoline all over the place).

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
^^^^Aww....what a wuss.

I like the OEM hose clamps on the fuel lines and would rather keep those than the worm type that tear the hoses up when you have them on and off as much as I do.

Just keep an eye on them, check them when you're under the hood for anything else.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^Aww....what a wuss.

I like the OEM hose clamps on the fuel lines and would rather keep those than the worm type that tear the hoses up when you have them on and off as much as I do.

Just keep an eye on them, check them when you're under the hood for anything else.
Fire bad. :evilatyou: Safety good.

The OEM clamps seem fine except at the extreme cold end of the temp range. For certain they prevent crushing the fuel lines (both the rubber and metal hose).

But the worm drive type shouldn't tear up the hoses the way you describe, unless they are overtightened?

My preference for a worm drive clamp is based on 30 years of motoring experience and owning many beaters - I mean, fine pre-owned vehicles.

Your mileage may vary....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts