Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
08 X
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heh heh ;-}

Heard the saying? 'For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, no explanation is possible'.

·
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!
2003 XT 2.5 AT
1,836 Posts
'For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, no explanation is possible'.
Recognising the truth of that, I predict that after reading the test I'll either be agreeing wholeheartedly with its results or thinking it's a load of rubbish.

BTW, when did the dancing banana turn into a dancing phallus? Or is it a hot dog? No, wait, the dancing banana is still there. :bacon: Oh, it's supposed to be dancing bacon!

·
Registered
2008 Forester
65 Posts
Well the final table pops up if you use this link... Australian 4WD Monthly dedicated to 4WD, 4x4, SUV, Truck, 4 wheel drive and off road community, loaded with tips, tests, reviews, travel, gallery and forum

The result was that Pirelli Scorpion is the pick of the bunch.. but then this post in the forum section Pirelli Scorpion AT tyres - Australian 4WD Action Online Forums - the 4WD, 4x4 and offroad truck community. Get the latest tips, news, reviews, images and video clips. doesnt seemed to reflect to the testing...

The BRIDGESTONE DUELER D694 or 693 seems to get quite a few good feedback via exploroz forum.

What do you guys think with the 694 or 693 on a XT that mostly sees seal road with the very infrequent dirt or sand?

·
Registered
my09 Forester XT
293 Posts
I think the choice of an off road oriented tyre will compromise the on road performance significantly for no good reason. If you do as you say and rarely go off road, buy a good road tyre, and put up with poorer off road performance. This means don't buy any of the tyres in this test as they are all off road oriented.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
^ +1 Go for something like the Bridgestone Adrenalin - Unbelieveable on the road and they have survived trips to Birdsville, Innamincka & Flinders Ranges on mine. Sounds like you are like most of us and spend 95% of your time on sealed surfaces and the stuff you seem to be looking at will really compromise that.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
65 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I was almost in the process of calling up tyre places for the DUELERs... Is there a particular term I should search for that will lead me to some review on options?

Bridgestone Adrenalin is on the list and another one is Toyo TEO Plus so far.

Oh and I notice the size could be an irregular size? mine is currently 215x55xR17....

·
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!
2003 XT 2.5 AT
1,836 Posts
The result was that Pirelli Scorpion is the pick of the bunch.. but then this post in the forum section Pirelli Scorpion AT tyres - Australian 4WD Action Online Forums - the 4WD, 4x4 and offroad truck community. Get the latest tips, news, reviews, images and video clips. doesnt seemed to reflect to the testing...
Now that I can see the final table (thanks for the working link) to easily compare the results, I do have a few more questions. What do the results actually mean? How are they weighted? Does a stopping distance result of 4.5 mean it took more than twice the distance to stop? Why are there so many typos and coding errors? (For example, "Geolander", or the Michelin gravel climb score.) Was that lack of attention to detail present in the testing as well?

What steps did they take to avoid any hint of confirmation bias? (In other words, thinking a certain brand did the best in subjective testing because they already liked it.) They don't really say. Was it all blind testing? They don't mention the actual test data much, just that they were collecting some. It gives the implication it was mostly subjective assessments backed up with a little bit of test data, like how long it took to climb a hill.

I'm left to conclude it may or may not have been a good test but it's a poor write-up. I suspect driver ability will make a bigger difference than tyre selection.

The BRIDGESTONE DUELER D694 or 693 seems to get quite a few good feedback via exploroz forum.

What do you guys think with the 694 or 693 on a XT that mostly sees seal road with the very infrequent dirt or sand?
I bought the D694 after reading many many reviews of many different tyres, including here in the US, where it's called the Revo. (I see they have a Revo 2 there now. The tread pattern seems less open than the Revo.) I note that most of the tyres there are very very close in their total review scores, with the Pirelli of the Aussie test in 15th place. Of course, a lot of the results on that site could be just due to marketing, confirmation bias, etc.

In my view the D694s are very comfortable - more so than the previous 60 profile tyres I had - and are very good on road, although I sometimes wonder how their rolling resistance affects fuel economy. They're slightly noisier on some road surfaces and when pushed hard around corners, but not as bad as I'd been expecting and I soon got used to it. On sand I reckon they like digging, which makes me a little surprised at the Aussie test result, but they ran theirs at lower pressure than I like to have mine because on the local beach there's lots of high speed driving on firm sand. My size (215/65R16) doesn't have the same extra-reinforced side walls as the larger sizes. I've heard them referred to as "rock chuckers" for people following behind on gravel roads but haven't managed to confirm that; the last guy I went off road farm driving with (a couple of weeks ago) had them on his Terrano but it didn't seem to kick up any more stones than usual when we were on the farm roads.

For the proportion of on:eek:ff roading I do I admit they're not the most sensible tyre choice. They're probably overkill for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
65 Posts
Thanks for the extra info sheepish. Have called a few places and seems the TOYO TEO Plus is the pick.. so have booked it in for first thing tomorrow morning. Slightly less than $1100 for 4 tyres fitted, balanced and wheel aligned... not too bad I guess.. Hopefully I'll get more than 58000K out of these new sets. :)

·
Registered
08 Forester x
1 Posts
Tyre Comparison

Hi guys just put 4 Toyo Teo Plus 215 60 R16 on my Forester
Paid $660 all up including $45 for wheel alinement at Tyre Power in
Rosebud Victoria. So worth shopping arround. Interestingly they sugested
running at 40 psi not the 29 subaru recommends supposedly that gives greater tyre life and better handling. Mind you the potholes feel bigger
may drop the pressures to 36 as a compromise. They are quiet running
and don,t squeal under spirited driving I am happy with them.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Oh and I notice the size could be an irregular size? mine is currently 215x55xR17....
Not in Australia as it is the size found on a few cars like Aurion, Mitsubishi 380, Mazda6 & others and most tyre places have them in stock. I even found one in Birdsville when I did the sidewall of one of my original crap Geolandars. The last Adrenalin I got in December only cost $189. However it is not the size you will find anything remotely off road in and to go into a different size on that rim won't fit under the Forester as far as I know. Anyone else found different?

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
Thanks for the extra info sheepish. Have called a few places and seems the TOYO TEO Plus is the pick.. so have booked it in for first thing tomorrow morning. Slightly less than $1100 for 4 tyres fitted, balanced and wheel aligned... not too bad I guess.. Hopefully I'll get more than 58000K out of these new sets. :)
Rather expensive - must have been about $260 a tyre. Be interested to see how they perform as I've now had 2 sets of Adrenalins and should really try something different next time. Anything will be better than what came as original fitment.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
65 Posts
Yeah sheepish, apparently the size+profile I needed was not "normal" to them, I did see they also have the same tyre but at a difference size for either 195/200ish each.

It ended up costing me all up $1031. The tyre were 239 each with the all wheel alignment costing 75 (they told me its 80 over the phone yesterday). Comes with a free wheel balance and rotate when 5k is up too. With the 3 places that is close to me that get this tyres, this mob works out to be a lil bit cheaper like 10 or 20 bucks so not much difference there.

Tommo: My tyre running tyre pressure now is 38, the guy told me to keep it at 38 or maybe 40 when I am towing. 45 being max.. Compare to me factory pressure of 32 normal with 36 during towing.. it is a big difference in PSI.. Driving back the tyre noise is quieter than me old tyre but wont really notice the full noise difference till I get to the highway. The car do feel "higher" tho...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts