Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I discovered that my Forester's built-in hotspot had become inactive. When I logged into my AT&T account, I saw why: AT&T changed the prices and the $20 / month unlimited plan is no longer available. If you have an old $20 / unlimited Subaru plan, expect it to automatically terminate at the end of your current billing cycle.

Here are the new AT&T Forester hotspot plans as of 11/27/18:

$10 / month = 1 GB, renews every 30 days
$25 / month = Unlimited, renews every 30 days. This is a 25% price increase.
$250 / year = Unlimited (effectively $20.83 / month), does not renew. This is effectively a 4% price increase.
$450 / 2 years = Unlimited (effectively $18.75 / month), does not renew. This is effectively a 6% price decrease.

I love having the hotspot built into the car, but you are locked to AT&T. If AT&T's coverage or speed isn't good where you're going, you can't switch to Verizon / Sprint / T-Mobile. With these new prices, it's cheaper for me to just add a hotspot to my T-Mobile account and leave it in the center console.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
Very true, always confuses me why the automakers keep trying to limit our choices. Major fail with the radio/infotainment systems, now this.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring Automatic
245 Posts
My hot-spot is supposedly activated on the trial plan, but I've never been able to see or access it. I suspect I will just rely on my cell phone, anyway.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
822 Posts
You need the access point that plugs into the ODB2 port for wifi service; I believe it is entirely separate from Starlink.

·
Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
610 Posts
What he said. Sprint also has Sprint Drive.

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm okay without either. I was running up against the limits of my 6 GB T-Mobile plan, and adding the $20 Subaru / AT&T hotspot was cheaper than bumping all my lines up to the next T-Mobile plan. At $25 / month, I'll just learn to use less mobile data instead. It's a nice feature and I can see it being incredibly useful for families or long road trips with a car full of people. But at $25 / month, it crosses over from "huh, that's neat" to "nah, I can live without this".

·
Registered
2019 Limited CVT
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My hot-spot is supposedly activated on the trial plan, but I've never been able to see or access it. I suspect I will just rely on my cell phone, anyway.
Try going into your infotainment system's settings menu. You'll see the option to turn on your hotspot in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts