Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SF 2.0l Auto S-Turbo
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 2000 2.0 turbo AT.

In slow bends or small roundabouts the steering feels like I have a flat tyre. I get a sort of resistance which then gives way and then car continues to turn.

It's particularly noticeable if accelerating slightly say as you swing round a roundabout preparing to exit.

As I say if feels like a flat tyre or if you ran one wheel onto a sliver of ice on the road. That kind of "the tyre is going somewhere different to the rest of the car" feeling

The car tracks true in the bend, no need to correct a line or anything, just a weird sensation. I've never driven a Subaru AWD before so maybe this is normal?

Hard to describe. Pumping the PSI up to 33 on all tyres exacerbates the problem.

OBW

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
When you turn the wheel stationary you will find a 'knee point' where the assistance changes non linearly (by design) is this waht you are feeling on the road?

Alternatively, perhaps you have a slipping PAS belt and you are getting a cycling of assistance/reduced assistance?

Simon

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
I am curious if a set of sub-frame lock bolts will cure what ails you and the car. As soon as I get back home, I will be installing some. I have read posts where people say the firm up the rear-end quite a bit. There are a few manufacturers but the one I know of off the top of my head is KartBoy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked the fluid and levels are Ok but I'm going to replace all fluids this weekend anyway, AT, diffs front and back, power steering and lastly brakes if I've time.

I'd guess the steering is at the 1 o'clock position when this happens maybe 2 o'clock so 30-60 degrees of movement induces the feeling.

I'd forgotten about the variable steering, but I'd have thought that started gradually rather than being a sudden transition?

Lastly I'm thinking maybe the steering rack bushings are toast or ball joints on the track rod ends. Difficult for a layman to evaluate with out just replacing with new and comparing the differences.

After that I'm looking at alignment, tracking and after that it all starts to get expensive. :icon_frown:

OBW

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
On 99/00 the 'variable' steering is actually high and low.....

Tracking/alignment/Bushes won't cause the feeling you have, it has to be something in the PAS to have that much effect.

As for subframe bolts, not a hope.

Simon

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Replace the steering rack bushings. As to how you describe it, it sounds an awful lot like the steering issue I was having (where the steering felt like it was holding the road, then gives a little, then grabs the road again). My steering rack bushings were absolute toast. Replaced with Whiteline bushings, and it hasn't come back yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
............ it sounds an awful lot like the steering issue I was having (where the steering felt like it was holding the road, then gives a little, then grabs the road again). My steering rack bushings were absolute toast. Replaced with Whiteline bushings, and it hasn't come back yet.

Yep that's exactly how it feels.

Can I inspect the bushings without removing them or do I just do a replace anyway

OBW

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Yep that's exactly how it feels.

Can I inspect the bushings without removing them or do I just do a replace anyway

OBW
This sounds like a problem I am having. I will watch this post to see how you resolve the problem.

When I turn the steering wheel back and forth at slow speeds, it feels like it catches, than goes easy and than catches again... I also have vibration in the steering wheel at all speeds...

I thought that mine just needed to have the tires balanced and aligned, maybe it is something else like the bushings.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Easily, drop the undertray off and drop the lower cap off and check them out, about a 20 minute job, mine were toast, although it only made the steering feel imprecise (You could see the polished section of rack that shows the rack was moving about 5mm each way).

Simon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts