Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fitted yesterday, 12 way adjustable AST coilovers.
Steering response and handling have been transformed.

Still got a bit more work to do with spring lengths to sort out a slight knocking, possibly to do with the helper springs.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
317 Posts
Thats a beautiful machine you have there..

Those coilovers.. 12 way adjustable? ... by chance are they revalvable/rebuildable?

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
And I can testify to the fact that it does indeed handle fantastically :D :D

....starting saving now ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, 12 way adjustable, can be rebuilt and maintained.

Good to meet you today Pete, did you get on the rollers?

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Likewise :)

'fraid not - ran out of time unfortunately...will have to wait until come back in a few weeks for the remap etc..

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
969 Posts
I just observed a very strange phenomenon while sitting at the computer.

My browser, which is equipped with all sorts of anti-spyware and anti-popup features, on a machine that is regularly swept for malware, had somehow quite spontaneously found its way to Powerstation's website, and their telephone number was up on the screen.

Then, even more strangely, my credit card, which normally resides in my wallet, had somehow worked its way out and was on top of the desk so I could see the numbers. It was right in front of me.

Lucky they are closed at night...

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
These are available stateside through Racecomp Engineering in Maryland.

As an alternative, the Whiteline Group4 coilovers are based around an AST damper but further customized and sorted for Subaru applications.

Oh... and these have a single 12-position adjustment. They are a single-adjustable damper, as opposed to 2-way, 3-way, or in esoteric applications 4-way damping. A typical 3-way damper has adjustments for rebound, high-speed compression and low-speed compression. The AST's adjustment primarily adjusts rebound damping, though it does have a slight change to compression damping through the adjustment range.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
karma mechanic said:
I just observed a very strange phenomenon while sitting at the computer.

My browser, which is equipped with all sorts of anti-spyware and anti-popup features, on a machine that is regularly swept for malware, had somehow quite spontaneously found its way to Powerstation's website, and their telephone number was up on the screen.

Then, even more strangely, my credit card, which normally resides in my wallet, had somehow worked its way out and was on top of the desk so I could see the numbers. It was right in front of me.

Lucky they are closed at night...
:spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley
Funny how seeing someone else buy something can coerce us to buy something we want and not what we need sometimes. The internet is evil in that way.

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
Porter said:
These are available stateside through Racecomp Engineering in Maryland.

As an alternative, the Whiteline Group4 coilovers are based around an AST damper but further customized and sorted for Subaru applications.
The important diference here is that the AST's on Simon's car are not Impreza ones, they are designed for the longer strut requirement of the Forester. They are related to the ones used on the Type-25 Impreza, but longer.

I don't think there is a Whiteline Group4 offering for the Forester at the moment, unless the owner wants a considerable reduction in ride height as well. For me, the height on Simon's looks ideal.

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
NahdaDamdyke said:
:spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley :spinnasmiley
Funny how seeing someone else buy something can coerce us to buy something we want and not what we need sometimes. The internet is evil in that way.
Not want, need... :)

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Simon,

I know it is maybe too soon after the fit for an 'in use' review the AST's.

And you will no doubt be thrashing that car all over the place for days & days :drive:

But, when the dust settles.

Could you possible post the spec. for these Forester specific coilovers. Spring rates front & rear
Range of ride height adjustment - max/min Front
Range of ride height adjustment - max/min Rear

Regards,

Ian

·
Mr. November 2008
969 Posts
Either Simon is too busy enjoying the car, or more likely the AST setup isn't yet complete. I'd expect that the final version of the valving is still dependent on the road testing of these, the first ones actually fitted to a Forester. Getting them just right might take a few sessions.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.
All those who have driven the car feel it has made a very positive improvement ( myself included ).
So far the biggest benefit has been to steering repsonse, any vagueness has now gone and the steering now has much more weight to it.
I am probably running my car as low as you would want to go, i am back at Powerstation on Wenesday morning to fit a new set of springs all round, these will be correct length so no "helper springs" should be required, the new springs will also have a greater spring rate.
I will post more feedback after wednesday. If anyone is around Tewkesbury on Wednesday morning give me a call if you want to have a look.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Simon,

Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to the hearing your thoughts once the ASTs are fully sorted. Sounds very promising so far!

Ian :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, new rear springs fitted today and then re-alignment.
No more bottoming from the rear ( there must be a joke there ) , suspension i feel is now sorted but need to get a few more miles to be 100%, but so far there are all pro's and no cons.

Very very little body roll, massive improvement in handling, fully adjustable and in my opimion better looking with reduced ride height.
If you have any technical queries probably best to call Curtis @ Powerstation - 01684 296675.
Now we move onto the turbo - GT30 hybrid :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts