Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 X AWP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was the first real taste of autumn/crap weather driving in my fozz. I have the OEM Dueler 684 H/Ts on, and had a scary moment going round a wet roundabout, turning the wheel, and for a moment the car going straight!!
Now the speed wasn't high, and when i got to work there was no sign of oil/diesel/crap that might have caused a slide, and there was no sign of anything on the road.
This is not the first time it has happened, although it is the worst!
Anyone had any issues with the OEMs?

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
The Yoko geosquealers on my SF5 are SH*TE, got the new ARB on the back and new drop links and the car still feels horrible in the wet. Looking forward to the new Falkens :)))

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I had geo squealers (thought they were OE on the SG's as well?) and they were aweful with a 20mm rear bar and Michelins on the front, squealers on the rear it handled like an RS2000 - very tail happy if easily controllable and a lot of fun!

Modless on squealers and I used to resort to the handbrake for wet roundabouts, it really wasn't interested in turning (like the Blue lady I guess - LOL)

Simon

·
Registered
2004 X AWP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the Duelers are the OEM. before me it had 1 old bloke owner, who took it to the same main dealer for everything. Also read that they are/were the stock tyres for my SG.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
I had geo squealers (thought they were OE on the SG's as well?) and they were aweful with a 20mm rear bar and Michelins on the front, squealers on the rear it handled like an RS2000 - very tail happy if easily controllable and a lot of fun!

Modless on squealers and I used to resort to the handbrake for wet roundabouts, it really wasn't interested in turning (like the Blue lady I guess - LOL)

Simon
LOL. You mean "You turn if you want to. The Forester on Geosqueelers is not for turning".

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,976 Posts
When it's been dry for ages then you get a little rain the road gets really slick and I mean really. Needs a proper downpour to clean it.

Having said that they tyres are still ****e.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
LOL. You mean "You turn if you want to. The Forester on Geosqueelers is not for turning".
That's the one....

I don't know the duelers, but sound rubbish like most 'neither fish nor fowl' tyres, if your a road driver, get road tyres!

Simon

·
Registered
2015 2.0 DXC
14 Posts
I have to say I actually found the 684's pretty good in the wet. They're not just getting worn?

Seems like I am in a minority though, going by the above comments.

The chunkier 694's I have fitted now are not so good on a wet road, but are a good all round compromise while looking quite good on the car also...

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
402 Posts
Im due to change mine but not sure what to get because I sometimes take the foz offroad, not all the time, but occiasionally take it up into the local hills on the dirt roads.

Is there a better version of the geolander available?

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
402 Posts
General Grabber AT2 seems to be the choice tyre. It's what i'll choose for the next set.
That looks like its more for offroad than on. I do perhaps 90/10 with the majority onroad, but just want something that can handle the ofroad as well.

This is also for spain, where 90% of the time its very dry, but when wet its ultra slippy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Is it you....?

Dueler H/T's here in the States, they have about 5000km, I've driven in plenty of rain w/out any issues at all. Kind of liking these tires, I have to say. Keep in mind that on a roundabout (rotary, we call it here), your vehicle is exerting tremendous centrifugal force on the contact patch of the 4 tires, which is all that keeps you glued to the road. If the road's wet, and you push the same force, well...sometimes even not too fast is too fast.
Steve
09 2.5X AT (Bridgestone Dueler H/T's)

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,976 Posts
Just put 2 Falken 452s on the front. Made me realise how crap the budget things that came with my wheels were - even thought the Falkens are not much more expensive than the 'budgets'. Went shopping to Milton Keynes land of the roundabout. Fronts gripped and stayed hold no worries - suddenly the back started trying to overtake the front. Never had that before (it was wet and greasy) so I guess it's two more Falkens on the back. Hurts to throw away less than half worn tyres but....

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,976 Posts
Just put 2 Falken 452s on the front. Made me realise how crap the budget things that came with my wheels were - even thought the Falkens are not much more expensive than the 'budgets'. Went shopping to Milton Keynes land of the roundabout. Fronts gripped and stayed hold no worries - suddenly the back started trying to overtake the front. Never had that before (well not without trying) so I guess it's two more Falkens on the back. Hurts to throw away less than half worn tyres but....

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
Just put 2 Falken 452s on the front. Made me realise how crap the budget things that came with my wheels were - even thought the Falkens are not much more expensive than the 'budgets'. Went shopping to Milton Keynes land of the roundabout. Fronts gripped and stayed hold no worries - suddenly the back started trying to overtake the front. Never had that before (well not without trying) so I guess it's two more Falkens on the back. Hurts to throw away less than half worn tyres but....
Ditto for me, replaced the fronts on mine with falkens and for the price I cant fault them, paid £86 each for mine.

Went for the Falkens as there what my mate has on his 550bhp Evo

225 45 18 Falken NEW CAR TYRES FK-452 2254518 95Y | All New Tyres

Will be replacing the backs shortly.

·
Registered
2004 X AWP
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dueler H/T's here in the States, they have about 5000km, I've driven in plenty of rain w/out any issues at all. Kind of liking these tires, I have to say. Keep in mind that on a roundabout (rotary, we call it here), your vehicle is exerting tremendous centrifugal force on the contact patch of the 4 tires, which is all that keeps you glued to the road. If the road's wet, and you push the same force, well...sometimes even not too fast is too fast.
Steve
09 2.5X AT (Bridgestone Dueler H/T's)
I believe there are many different H/Ts made by Bridgestone. The 684's are rated very poorly on sites such as tyretest. Dont think it's the driving, i've managed to keep my advanced driving ticket for a few years now :icon_biggrin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts