Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am slowly getting serious about swapping in some upgraded transmission bits. Unfortunately I am running into way more options than I originally thought. I was very set on getting some PPGs in my 5spd box but the price kept pushing me away. Then I saw that the whole STi 6spd setup, while slightly cheaper was going to make up for that in install costs. So I would appreciate some pros/cons from the group for the different options I have.

One thing that I am absolutely doing is installing an R180 read diff, axles, and 04 STi hubs (so that I can keep my Forester STi wheels).

Options i have so far:

1. Replace stock gears with PPGs (1-2 SC, 3-4 HC, stock 5th)
2. Version 5 JDM non-DCCD STi 5spd 4.44 FD
3. Version 8 JDM DCCD 6spd
4. Version 9 JDM Spec-C DCCD 6spd

I have found some really good prices for the Version 5, 8, and 9 6spds and that includes everything i'm going to need minus the 04 5x100 hubs.

Can anyone tell me what the rations are on the JDM transmissions? If I go with a 6spd I will be keeping the internals stock. So I am looking for something that will be good on the highway. With my stock 5spd I cruise at 80mph at about 3,700 rpm.

Doing the PPGs or v5 6spd would allow me to upgrade the rear end at any time due to the 4.44 ring/pinion. The v8 or v9 would require that I install all the part at the same time but install seems like it will only cost about $1000-$1200.

So, the way I see it, I could get any of the setups I listed (minus the PPGs) for ~$5000 installed (plus 04 STi hubs)!!!! That's the same as just getting the PPG 5spd built and installed. That is the main reason why i'm going toward that setup. I just don't know much about the JDM v8 or v9 transmissions. I know that the 07+ USDM STi has nice ratios but they are much more expensive. Is it really worth it?

Please help!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
All I know is my friend's '07 STi 6-speed is awesome and I want his drivetrain in my car. 80MPH is at 3.2K RPM just as a reference.

Stan

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The V5 tranny won't be any stronger than your current tranny, but you will add DCCD and a nice front diff. Here is a good list of ratios.

JDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi Manual transmission ratio chart
Oops. Forgot to add that the v5 is a non-DCCD. I am not looking really for strength as my primary motive. Yes, if I am putting money into it, I am looking for something stronger but it does not HAVE to be PPG strong. My estimated maximum whp will be 350.

I am primarily interested in how it drives. Thanks for the link! I think for the price, out of the 4 choices, I am going toward the v8 or v9 6spd. Seems like I can get the whole swap installed for about the same price as the PPGs. With that setup i'll have a sweet from and center diff combine with the R180 LSD rear diff!!! Oh, and it will give me the option of adding DCCD. Unfortunately I do not have tranny codes to determine the ratios. I'll see what I can find.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok. More info. The version 8 6spd they have in stock is as follows:

Trans code: TY856WB4KA
1st: 3.636
2nd: 2.375
3rd: 1.761
4th: 1.346
5th: 1.062
6th: 0.842
Final: 3.900
Center Diff: DCCD (35:65)
Front Diff: A.P. Suretrac
Notes: automatic DCCD system

What does all that mean? Is it something I should be interested in?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Got any friends with an STi that would let you drive it?
If I had an 18g like you do, I would go the 6 speed route. Then you can crank up the boost and not worry about the tranny going boom. If you were using a VFxx, I'd probably do the V5/V6 STi tranny with DCCD. It is a lot cheaper option.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got any friends with an STi that would let you drive it?
If I had an 18g like you do, I would go the 6 speed route. Then you can crank up the boost and not worry about the tranny going boom. If you were using a VFxx, I'd probably do the V5/V6 STi tranny with DCCD. It is a lot cheaper option.
Unfortunately I don't know anyone with an STi. I would really like to go with the JDM STi 6spd but i'm not sure what the specs on the tranny really mean (what I posted above). From what I have always read, JDM transmissions have short ratios. I don't know how this specific one would compare to the USDM transmissions.

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
I absolutely hated my 1-3 '06 STI gear ratios, I love the long ratios on the Forester much better, STI required an immediate shift to 2nd when launching. I do miss the 6th gear low rpm at 80mph.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I absolutely hated my 1-3 '06 STI gear ratios, I love the long ratios on the Forester much better, STI required an immediate shift to 2nd when launching. I do miss the 6th gear low rpm at 80mph.
Hmmmm. Interesting. Cause this page on NASIOC:

The end all 6 speed swap information thread - NASIOC

shows that the JDM STi trans i'm looking at has the same 1-4 and the MY06 USDM 6spd.

How much better is a .756 6th than a .842 JDM 6th if both are 3.90 FD? I have no idea how to calculate the RPMs.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An online RPM calculator shows 3400rpms @ 80mph. That not much of a decrease. The Forester STi 6spd looks like a huge decrease. Too bad I can't get one of them.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
You got to remember a lot of the JDM trannies were designed for the high revving 2.0L motor, so the gear ratios are generally shorter to take advantage of the 8k redline.

If you want a long 6th gear, why not go with a Spec B 6 speed?

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Isn't Vinny pretty close to you? See if he'll hook you up w/ a ride.

The feel of the shifter between the two is different in my opinion as well. Granted it's a small nitpick and you'll get over it after a bit, but just more food for thought.

May I ask what has you dead set on the R180?

For the 6spd you'll need the stubs from an '04 sti to mate to the half-shafts. Otherwise the hub/knuckles stay the same.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You got to remember a lot of the JDM trannies were designed for the high revving 2.0L motor, so the gear ratios are generally shorter to take advantage of the 8k redline.

If you want a long 6th gear, why not go with a Spec B 6 speed?
The reason that I am so interested in those particular ones is cost. For between $3k-$4k I can get almost everything I need for a swap. Add $1000 for the labor and i'm in the same as if I got a 1-4 PPG set. But with the 6spd I get a DCCD, better front diff (what is an A.P. Suretrac?), better center diff, and LSD rear diff.

Isn't Vinny pretty close to you? See if he'll hook you up w/ a ride.
Good point. I forgot Vinny went from the PPG to STi 6spd.

May I ask what has you dead set on the R180?
I am dead set on the R180 for the Brembos. I want to get rid of the brackets/special rotor. In order to mount up 04 STi hubs I need an R180 unless I get hybridized axles which cost a fortune.

For the 6spd you'll need the stubs from an '04 sti to mate to the half-shafts. Otherwise the hub/knuckles stay the same.
Are you sure that is the same for a JDM STi 6spd? I remember reading something about that but I wasn't sure if that applied to only the USDM STi. Also I have read that that was changed mid year so I am unsure exactly what trans i'd be getting. But if the trans code I listed implies anything along those lines i'm like to know.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Hey Todd, don't know if he's sold it by one of our club Subie techs has/had a Ver6 transmissio for $1800CDN. Either way he's always got one for sale ever other month. His name is Rocky and he's well known and trusted. Both my wife and I have had work done by him and its top notch. He fixed my Legacy after the timing belt went and smashed the heads.

Several guys have had transmissions installed by him. As for your question about JDM ratios , one of the guys who bought one said while the 1-4 were agressive, the 5th gear was like an overdrive and was great for crusing on the highway.

If I was putting in a 6 speed I'd go 5x114.3, yes I realize you want to keep those nice wheels but ther's always the option to find the 114.3 version of the Forester wheels that came on the WRB SEMA demo Forester. The bearings are just so much better and 114.3 opens up a whole world of wheel options us 5x100 folks never get to touch.

version 6 sti transmission and rear diff 1800$
kit included
rear diff lsd 4.44 r-160
transmission sti 5 speed non dccd
axles front
axles rear
starter
driveshaft
shifter sti

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Todd, don't know if he's sold it by one of our club Subie techs has/had a Ver6 transmissio for $1800CDN. Either way he's always got one for sale ever other month. His name is Rocky and he's well known and trusted. Both my wife and I have had work done by him and its top notch. He fixed my Legacy after the timing belt went and smashed the heads.

Several guys have had transmissions installed by him. As for your question about JDM ratios , one of the guys who bought one said while the 1-4 were agressive, the 5th gear was like an overdrive and was great for crusing on the highway.

If I was putting in a 6 speed I'd go 5x114.3, yes I realize you want to keep those nice wheels but ther's always the option to find the 114.3 version of the Forester wheels that came on the WRB SEMA demo Forester. The bearings are just so much better and 114.3 opens up a whole world of wheel options us 5x100 folks never get to touch.

version 6 sti transmission and rear diff 1800$
kit included
rear diff lsd 4.44 r-160
transmission sti 5 speed non dccd
axles front
axles rear
starter
driveshaft
shifter sti
ORLY? PM me his info please and i'll see what he's got.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Only have his phone # from the forum which I'll PM you right now. I'll PM him as ask for an email. He's a good guy to talk to and knows his stuff. He'll tell you straight up what you need to get it done. He was a Subaru tech for many years, did so much work on the side he decided to open his own shop .

1 - 20 of 97 Posts