Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 Miata
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's maintainance time for my 04 FXT 4EAT- time to change the transmission fluid.

I drained a couple quarts of reddish fluid from what I am pretty damn sure is the transmission drain plug-- black pan which sit behind the bellhousing. That is the transmission drain plug right?

Anyways, I start pouring in fluid into the dipstick hole and when I get to quart 4 it start to pour all over the ground. I am like, ok, no problem, and I unscrew the plug and almost nothing comes out. I start the car, let it run for a bit, then unscrew the plug again and a bunch of fluid comes out. I walk around to the front, but there is still fluid topping off the dipstick hole!! I repeat this procedure twice, draining what seems to be a few quarts more but the dipstick hole is still full of fluid.

I try to put the transmission in gear and it just slips, probably because it's massively ovefilled.

really! is going on here? Is this transmission chambered or something? Why won't the fluid level go down on the dipstick plug even after I drain fluid out of the drain plug hole?

This is my daily driver so tears are being had right now.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have drained the transmission and filled the front differential. Do you have an owner's manual for locating which is which?

Edit:

According to Haynes, the dipstick for your trans in either on the left rear of engine compartment or near the center of the engine. If you filled the one on the passenger side, you filled the front diff. You will now need to go buy some diff fluid and a t70 torx to drain it! Walmart is still open.... Hurry!:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,071 Posts
Transmission dip stick(fill tube) = drivers side

Front diff dip stick(fill hole) = passenger side

You are not the first.

As said the drain for the front diff will be a T-70 and can be had found at most Autozones. A t-60 can be used in a pinch but must be done so carefully.

·
Registered
03 Miata
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Righteo guys. The dealer actually told me that the diff and tranny shared the same resivour so blah.

Unfortunately I'm not finding a T70 anywhere sooooo I'm going to drive the car to the store now and get a suction pump, try to suction as much of the tranny juice out and refill with diff fluid.

Leaving now..

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Try your local AutoZone for a T-70 like this one from Great Neck. Here's a pic of what they look like hangin' on the tool display rack.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
03 Miata
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the fluid pumped out of the diff, at least I got a bunch of it. I put a quart of cheapo diff fluid in there. T70 socket will be coming into NAPA for me in a day or so. Ugh. That was quite a cruddy waste of $45 of good Amsoil ATF.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Share the same reservior?
In MT-equipped Subarus, the transmission and front differential are in a combined unit (transaxle?) that shares the same gear oil. I suspect this is what was meant by "same reservoir".

The AT-equipped models' front diff is separate from the AT, and each has its own sump, fluid, and drain plug.

HTH

·
Registered
03 Miata
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In MT-equipped Subarus, the transmission and front differential are in a combined unit (transaxle?) that shares the same gear oil. I suspect this is what was meant by "same reservoir".

The AT-equipped models' front diff is separate from the AT, and each has its own sump, fluid, and drain plug.

HTH
Righteo.

NAPA cannot get the T70. Ugh. Gonna have to order it from the webternet. I think I will replace the blasted T70 plug with a regular plug. Anyone know what the replacement plug type would be?

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
You may have done so already, but you may want to double-check which drain plug is actually installed in your front diff. The switch from a regular ol' hex-head bolt to the T70-head was apparently made in '04...

BTW, I found my T-70 bit at my local AutoZone, hanging behind a T-60.:huh:

HTH,
Jim

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
Some autozones have 'em, some don't. When I went to do mine, I called all the autozones in my area and the biggest one they had was a T60. I went to one just recently and they had a bunch of T70 sockets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts