Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the aero roof rails and a pair of the Subaru/Yakima bike racks. Unfortunately my parking garage ceiling is a few inches too low to drive in with almost all of our bikes on top because of some overhead pipes. I'll just have load and unload outside of the garage.

1) aside from removing my factory cross bars and putting on round bars and a fork mounted roof rack is there another fork mounted rack that'll fit the aero rails.

2) how do you guys keep the down tube holder from bouncing when you don't have a bike mounted?

3) where are the correct positions of the cross bars. Mine look like the pictures but that's Marketing.

4) what's the correct way for a 5' 5" guy or gal to mount and dismount a bike?

5) is it ok to mount one of the racks so 1 bike is pointing backwards? The front tire isn't as solid on this type of rack so it'll move side to Side in the wind probably at speed.

6) my big mtb tireo get cinched down nicely with the straps but what about non aero road wheels? My ksyriums with 23c tires barely make it past the edge of the top of the tray sides so the straps don't strap well.

7) the directions say to mount 2 bike racks as close as possible but that would make it much harder for short people to safely negotiate bikes. And that means no accessories (box) or cargo in between :huh:
I've used and loathed hitched mounted so don't go there.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
19 Posts
bump. i don't have your answers, but i can tell you this. I have Yakima rrack, and use bungee cords if i feel the need to add some extra support. I would check rackattack.com for solutions. As for question #4, im only 5'9 and me and my wife ride fixed gears. i have a collapsable "camping" stool that i use to get up there. Even though the cars not the tallest thing in the world fork mounts are hard to do up there without dropping the bike on your roof. I have a Cobra Mount that seems to be easier because of that problem.
If i were you, (and use it often?), i would maybe look for rear mount bike racks. I think that the aero cbars were made more for cargo baskets and whatnot.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Brandon. Right now my process to put the bike on the rack is to:
0) Open the rear driver's side door and Open the moonroof all the way to shield the glass from the bike
1) Lift up the bike over my head like I just won a MTB race and I'm on the podium
2) Put the front and back wheels in the tray
3) While holding on to the bike, step up onto the rear door's ledge
4) Move the bike backwards in the tray to clear/swing the downtube holder into place, mildly tighten
5) move the bike forward into place, turn wheels, etc. and strap the front and back wheels down
6) fine-tune the downtube holder's grip and tighten and lock it.

I need to adjust where the hardware is on the rack to minimize moving the bike in step 4 & 5 but i've got a gaggle of road, mtn, hybrid, flat bar road, and folding (yes, folding) bikes to contend with.

I used one of those computer velcro cable straps to hold down the downtube holder. You'd think they'd cover the area that it comes in contact with the tray with some rubber and use the clamping mechanism on the downtube holder to clamp to the tray (and then use the lock in a meaningful way). Maybe REI will have something for me.

Someone needs to invent something to lock the forks/bars to the frame so it's solidly rigid when on a rooftop rack. I use a rubber band from the presta valve to the downtube bottle holder when my road bikes are hung up in my living room.

Maybe bikeforums.net will have more insight :)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 x LTD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I returned the Subaru/Yakima racks. Now I'm trying to figure out why the factory installed the cross bars in a different position than the accessory PDF says to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts