Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting one or the other, used, low mileage. I have an '05, so I'd especially like to know if you went from one of the older models to one of these if you're glad or sorry you did.

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
I got the '13 2.5 X base model. Nothing fancy. Put a few dollars in it (wheels and tires, window tint, exhaust, light bar, roof basket, etc) and I love it i wish it was faster (ie XT model) but I love it for what it is a dependable family car that looks good getting groceries.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,116 Posts
I've got a 12" premium with a few add-ons and I love it. I had a '09 and the '12 is much better.

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
831 Posts
I've had my rig for over a year now and other than consuming 1.3 quarts of oil total in the first 8500 miles driven, I've had no issues to complain about. I do feel that the manual 5 speed premium is the one you want to go with if you can find one.

·
Registered
2008 Outback Automatic
60 Posts
It's a great little car...

...you won't be disappointed. Looks good. Goes just about anywhere. And although it's not a race car, it'll get you there plenty quick. Enjoy!

:bananapowerslide:

·
Registered
2013 X premium 4 speed auto trans
41 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one or the other, used, low mileage. I have an '05, so I'd especially like to know if you went from one of the older models to one of these if you're glad or sorry you did.
I'm new to subaru . . . Came from VW, Honda, and currently still with toyota and chrysler.

I wanted and got the 2013 subaru forester for the following reasons;

-one of the last gear driven 4x4 transmission before the giant leap to cvt

- one of the last model year with traditional hydraulic power steering before the leap to electric servo motor assist steering

-and of course I want to get a hold of the new FB25 engine which looks a ton easier to maintain because of the simplicity/accessibility of engine components i.e. all on-top and very easy to work-on.

Oil consumption as long as not excessive and causing a compression blow-by is a given in my opinion.

Ton.G

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, everybody!

Is there much difference in the years '09-'13?

·
Registered
2013 X premium 4 speed auto trans
41 Posts
There's a difference in the years '09-'13. Subaru changed over from timing belt set-up to timing chain setup with the new FB25 engine.

ton.g

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5 Premium MT
50 Posts
Absolutely love my 2013 MT Premium 2.5. Fun to drive, no issues whatsoever...great car. Love the 2.5...less maintenance than Turbo, delivers plenty of power for me, bulletproof.

Not sure if you're looking for a stick, but I LOVE the fact that I could get a manual with the sunroof (can't get that combo in 2014)

Go for it!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Bought a used '12 Premium last year from a board member.

It's a noisy beast: still has the tinny body panels from the earlier SH years. Lots of rattles in ours. Comfortable seating, great visibility. Mileage has been... okay - not as much of an improvement as I'd have liked. Drives like a small truck, which we like. The only ergonomic gripe is that the seat heater switches are tucked down and away near the seat belt latch and somewhat under the armrest / cubby, so it's not an intuitive reach.

·
Registered
2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 5 MT
146 Posts
Absolutely love my 2013 MT Premium 2.5. Fun to drive, no issues whatsoever...great car. Love the 2.5...less maintenance than Turbo, delivers plenty of power for me, bulletproof.

Not sure if you're looking for a stick, but I LOVE the fact that I could get a manual with the sunroof (can't get that combo in 2014)

Go for it!
Exactly why I bought one...it's getting so you have to buy a base model on some vehicles to get a manual at all...I made sure I let Subaru know how much of an influence being able to get AWD with a manual was in my purchase decision...

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! I want an automatic transmission.

How do I get the FB25 engine? Is that standard from 2011 on? Or is it something I have to specially look for?

·
Registered
2010 Forester M5 M5
126 Posts
2010 2.5x, 5m, 67K, best winter car I've ever owned! Great all around car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts