Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Being a drummer, it's hard for me to find a car to fit my gear. Coming from a PT Cruiser, a Forester was a shoe-in for my next vehicle....and the fact that I was the ONLY one in my family with out one.

My question is, how many of you are musicians and how do you use your Forester?

I'll start....I'm a percussionist....self explanatory!

Cheers!

J.

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
I play guitar. The Forester with the seats folded down can take an amp (or two or more) and a few guitar cases very easily. Even with the seats folded up, a case fits perfectly on the rear seat. Extremely easy to haul gear in this car.

That being said, I very rarely actually use the car for that. More often its hiking, camping, or mountain biking gear.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
One of these:

plus one of these:

plus a few basses in hard cases, sometimes other stuff too. Can still carry a passenger in the front.

Our drummer used to have a PT Cruiser a while ago. He has a Jeep Commander now -- that thing fits alot of stuff.

Stan

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
My name probably gives it away... but if not, I'm a bass player (in England). I can usually fit a bass in gigbag and a 4x10 Hartke bass combo in the back with the seats up and load cover closed so it's not noticeable from the outside. I used to carry a double bass with the back seats down and a small combo but since I got a Stagg EUB, I can put that across the back seat with no problem and use my Hartke.

I really think the Foz is a great gig car.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Carrying heavy equipment in the back actually helps handling and gave me the idea of going after a stiffer suspension setup :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
I'm a bass player but also a videographer with a full mobile production studio in road cases that pretty much FILLS the Fozzie and leaves me with only enough room for my suitcase. The only issue I've found is you need to be careful HOW you load all that weight if you're going to be driving on the highway after dark because the suspension "gives way" easier than my '99 Cherokee did and I get "flashed" a lot by oncoming traffic if I have the weight too far back...

I too like the feel a bit weighed down although the brakes are a little weak for my tastes fully loaded.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
51 Posts
I play guitar. The Forester with the seats folded down can take an amp (or two or more) and a few guitar cases very easily. Even with the seats folded up, a case fits perfectly on the rear seat. Extremely easy to haul gear in this car.

That being said, I very rarely actually use the car for that. More often its hiking, camping, or mountain biking gear.

Are you hip to Nick Curran?

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I just got my Forester and don't have a gig until next week, I haven't tried to pack my drums yet. I usually only bring out a 4 piece out with me. Only rarely do I bring an extra rack or floor tom. It really depends on the gig.

My issue as always is going to be my hardware case. The thing weighs a ton. It's partly my fault for being partial to DW hardware, however they are the most rugged damn things I have ever used!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of these:

plus one of these:

plus a few basses in hard cases, sometimes other stuff too. Can still carry a passenger in the front.

Our drummer used to have a PT Cruiser a while ago. He has a Jeep Commander now -- that thing fits alot of stuff.

Stan

You're spoiled! My bass player (and best friend) used to carry around his Ampeg 4x10 in a HYUNDAI ACCENT! He uses one of those small Markbass heads so that didn't take up much space.

I know at least 5 drummers with PT Cruisers. They do there job man. I don't have a bad thing to say about my old ride!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bass player but also a videographer with a full mobile production studio in road cases that pretty much FILLS the Fozzie and leaves me with only enough room for my suitcase. The only issue I've found is you need to be careful HOW you load all that weight if you're going to be driving on the highway after dark because the suspension "gives way" easier than my '99 Cherokee did and I get "flashed" a lot by oncoming traffic if I have the weight too far back...

I too like the feel a bit weighed down although the brakes are a little weak for my tastes fully loaded.
So are you saying it drives like a truck when loaded with gear?

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. I JUST found this multi-quote button...silly me!

:Banane35:
I am also a drummer

Cheers!

The turbo can't hurt hauling that bass gear. My car fully loaded up feels heavy and slooooow.
Strong Island Represent! I was born there! No turbo here....should be interesting!

I play percussion and tuba. Also (in a past life) worked as an audio engineer at a TV station.
You need a Ford Excursion like two of my Tuba buddies... heh heh!

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,786 Posts

You need a Ford Excursion like two of my Tuba buddies... heh heh!
I'm an old rock and roll guitarist and my wife is a singer. I no longer play thru huge amps like I did in 1969... The Foz works great for all sorts of musical instruments but when I need Max Room I still have my 2002 Ford Econoline van...which has way more room than an Excursion. I just checked the specs and the Excursion maxes out at 146 cubic feet, like a big minivan, whereas my E150 has about 250 cubic feet. (A Foz is about 67 cubic feet as I recall.)

I've got buddies who play upright basses and their typical vehicle is a minivan, which they drive with no shame (and when my E150 goes away, I will probably get a minivan as well). But the Foz definitely gets ya places better in bad weather.

George

·
Registered
2006 Forester
28 Posts
Howdy everyone, while my guitar and amp rarely leave my house, I DJ/MC a bit on the side. The Forester, albeit with the passenger seat pushed forward, fits my two stacks, console, amps, laptop case, and usually an odd box or two with some CDs or lights or prize wheels. And I still have room for my lovely wife, who luckily is short enough to squeeze into the passenger seat.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTL
94 Posts
I'm a bass player. I've got a 2x10 cabinet and a 1x15 plus a 6-space rack bag that fit well in the back with 2-basses in the seat.
The 'squared-ness' of the back gate helps soooooo much for the cabinets.

My last 5-door had a round gate that was useless space for my cabinets.

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm an old rock and roll guitarist and my wife is a singer. I no longer play thru huge amps like I did in 1969... The Foz works great for all sorts of musical instruments but when I need Max Room I still have my 2002 Ford Econoline van...which has way more room than an Excursion. I just checked the specs and the Excursion maxes out at 146 cubic feet, like a big minivan, whereas my E150 has about 250 cubic feet. (A Foz is about 67 cubic feet as I recall.)

I've got buddies who play upright basses and their typical vehicle is a minivan, which they drive with no shame (and when my E150 goes away, I will probably get a minivan as well). But the Foz definitely gets ya places better in bad weather.

George

Please tell me your van has a porthole window! Thats true rock and roll right there!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring (CDN) CVT
121 Posts
In my pre-Foz days, my buddy and I had a little duo that would play some of the local pubs. I just sing (well, I also play the Newfie Ugly Stick, but that's beside the point), while he would play guitar and share vocals. I would have loved to have the fozzie in those days, as we'd carry the guitar, mics, two speakers, mic and speaker stands, plus gear bags, in the back of my gf's Corolla... ahh, this would be luxury.

On a side note, regarding the PT Cruiser. I joked with my bandmate that we should have gotten one, as we called our little duo "Toulouse Cruise" (aka Two Loose Screws), and thought the name of the vehicle would be perfect... then again, maybe we wouldn't want a "Toulouser Cruiser"... Two Loser? or worse, Too Looser??

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,786 Posts
Please tell me your van has a porthole window! Thats true rock and roll right there!
Naaah....it's a nice factory-like conversion with dark tinted factory glass all around. White and nondescript.

We have had four full size vans since 1986 (one after the other), and had the old 1986 GMC conversion redone with semi-shag carpeting (on the walls as well as the floor), which really was the best possible material to have for moving stuff around...

George

1 - 20 of 45 Posts