Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there aftermarket clutch replacement parts "better" or "more durable" than OEM???

My '14 Forester has 99K miles and the throwout bearing is making noise. If I'm going to replace the clutch, I'd like to use the best parts I can. Advance, Autozone, NAPA & O'Reilly's are the 4 stores available to me. Thanks......

·
Registered
2014 Premium M6
334 Posts
My '14 Forester has 99K miles and the throwout bearing is making noise. If I'm going to replace the clutch, I'd like to use the best parts I can. Advance, Autozone, NAPA & O'Reilly's are the 4 stores available to me. Thanks......
Did you start the job yet?

I pulled up the manual and am having second thoughts of whether I want to do this fun job... versus the $1400 for the dealer to do it.

In one other thread a kind soul did post the TSB that Subaru redesigned the throwout bearing.

Not sure this helps longevity or just the "noise during cold soak" as the TSB describes it. Mine at 140k has went from chirping when cold (unloaded) to a whizzing sound with the clutch in and the bearing loaded. Limiting use now until I fix or get fix as to not have it grenade on me and take the input shaft or case or fork with it.

Another kind forumite said the fork does not have any device to return it. Noise when cold and the clutch out would indicate that it's still hitting the pressure plate even when unloaded. Perhaps this preload is causing the premature wear. Dunno.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
418 Posts
I'm not sure I really trust the "redesigned" throwout bearing. Subarus have always had weak throwout bearings, I don't expect an improved one to actually be any better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts