Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I think a slightly lower profile on the 17 inch 06 XT).
I've read all the posts on their handling in the dry (not so great and noisy) and their off road crossover ability. Im interested in off the line performance on a wet tar road.
Still learning and waiting for delivery.....
Maximus

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
To quote "Modern Motor " magazine in their revue of the XT on Geos.- "downright dangerous in the wet"

T

·
0 Posts
I just replaced my standard Geos with some Yokohama C-Drive. These are MUCH MUCH better in the wet and still do unsealed roads just fine. I don't do any 'proper' off-road, so can't comment on anything other than your typical unsealed variety.

·
Registered
285 Posts
tyagi said:
I just replaced my standard Geos with some Yokohama C-Drive. These are MUCH MUCH better in the wet and still do unsealed roads just fine. I don't do any 'proper' off-road, so can't comment on anything other than your typical unsealed variety.
Same here, and I feel the same way.

H

·
0 Posts
Max,
The standard Geo's were ok on my n/a Foresters in the wet as long as you drove to the conditions, in other words, sensibly. On the XT with considerably more power it may well be another story - I never had any problems but I didn't have them on long enough to find out. Please note I never go off road so I can't comment on the Geo's in that environment at all.

Regards
Ron.

·
German tech
MY16 Audi S3 Sedan DSG 6 speed
3,563 Posts
Have been in the wet with the Geo's a few times now - drive to the conditions as another poster said.

They do fine. If you are going to be an idiot, no tyre is going to stop you losing traction.

As in the dry, the Geo's let you know well before they let go. Other tyres hold on and all of a sudden lose all grip.

They are a multipurpose tyre and master of none.

I'll stick with them until they wear out and then look around for replacements.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
If you want safety from the Geos, keep the car parked. ;-)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll take your approach Candy esp. given the big outlay to buy the car in the first place.
Maximus

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
It was a damp road that convinced me to ditch the Geo's.

I was turning onto a 4 lane road, taking it easy, when the back-end broke loose and I started rotating. I overcorrected, and spun a bit back the other way, then overcorrected and spun a bit the other way, then got control and proceeded at a snails pace in the direction I wanted to go.

There was nothing progressive about the Geos in the wet. The only other time I have ever been that out of control in any car was when I hit a patch of diesel (in the wet) on a long sweeping corner.

I traded in the Geos the very next day, and have never looked back.

It's a sad fact that you won't really understand how bad the Geos are until you have either lost control while taking it easy, or until you have replaced them.

It's also unfortunate that Subaru went to 17' for the 06. It has made it a lot harder(much less choice) and more expensive($100 a tyre more) to upgrade.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Your results may vary... As much as I thought the Geos were crap, well so is the stock suspension. Since I never had any real intentions of off-roading my XT I was looking for 18" wheels out of the gate. Unfortunately, I had to wait almost a year for the wheels to come in and in the process racked up enough miles where I had to replace the Geos. Knowing their limitations and the limitations of the stock suspension, I never felt they were dangerous.

In fact, I actually had my coilovers on with the Geos and never felt they were dangerous. Of course the same caveat applied and I drove with that in mind. I think it's not a matter of how bad the Geos are but how much better other tires can be. It's really the combination of the stock marshmallow suspension and dual purpose tires that make for mediocre tarmac performance and not the tires alone.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
soobdo said:
There was nothing progressive about the Geos in the wet. The only other time I have ever been that out of control in any car was when I hit a patch of diesel (in the wet) on a long sweeping corner.

Rob.
Despite trying to make them loose grip in the greasy road this morning they held well (2nd gear, right turn, pedal down). Some spin but all correctable.

I guess if they let loose I may reconsider but they do OK for me now. Drove a demo on advans (have mentioned before) and whilst they did less in terms of noise on the corners I felt the steering was heavier and felt no more secure on them than the Geo's.

All depends how hard you push your car I guess.

No one shoe fits all eh :)

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
This is a fine example of "None so blind as they who will not see"
In spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, someone persists with stuff like "I drive it and the car didn't fall over"
Just let 'em go I say, and hope they aren't going to lose it on a wet highway when you and your family are in the vicinity.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
FourXTer said:
This is a fine example of "None so blind as they who will not see"
In spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, someone persists with stuff like "I drive it and the car didn't fall over"
Just let 'em go I say, and hope they aren't going to lose it on a wet highway when you and your family are in the vicinity.
and your post is a fine example of one who places far too much confidence in a piece of rubber. Over confidence is always the killer on the road. :buttkick:

There is no such "overwhelming evidence".

Any tyre will lose traction - it is the driver that determines the ability of the tyre and vehicle to maintain traction. :drive:

I've had more than 20 runs on skid pans with professional trainers (company requirement) and I am more than comfortable knowing my limits and that of my vehicle (tyre included) :poke:

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
Maximus said:
Are you picking another fight Candy?
I'd suggest the first punch was well and truly thrown by Mr turbo badge :cool:

I just threw up a well timed block

·
Registered
2006 XTA
551 Posts
Well I'm enjoying our chat anyway.....
Further comment?.. you are in fact placing all your confidence in a piece of rubber everytime you drive, like it or not. About 150mm x 10mm on each corner of the car. If you think about it , you'd want that to be good rubber. Or whatever they make 'em out of.
Your vast skidpan experience may help you handle the inevitable skids of the Geos, Candy,and that's good!
Point is ; while it is good to practice on a device that is designed to force skids, your tyres should work towards preventing those skids in the first place.
Enter good tyres , exit Geos. Sorry.

Cheers :cool:

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
FourXTer said:
Well I'm enjoying our chat anyway.....
Further comment?.. you are in fact placing all your confidence in a piece of rubber everytime you drive, like it or not.
Cheers :cool:
I'd strongly suggest you go spend at least $5,000 on the best possible tryres you can find (you might also want to upgrade the brakes, suspension etc. In fact you would be much happier probably in a purposely designed car, not a crossover vehicle like the XT) :tongue:

You do want to be as safe as possible don't you ?

Until there are definitive tests demonstrating the superior ability of the Advans on the XT, I'll stick with the Geo's as they have not failed me despite being pushed in wet and dry and mud.

Yes, they complain but I know exactly what is going to happen with them and I can use driving skill to manage that behaviour - it is predictable.

That is unlike a tyre that grips and all of a sudden lets go with no warning.

I know you are happy with your Advans - good stuff.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
For me, the difficulty was in making a 1mph turn in a parking lot and having everyone looking at me like I was a kid doing donuts or something.
Yes, the Geos are sufficient for what they are, but they make too much noise and will wear quickly anyway.
Ultimately, the end came for mine at 15k miles when I ran over something on the turnpike and gashed the 2 right side tires beyond repair.
Tread depth on the remaining 2 was less than half so I got 5 new Bridgestone Potenza G009 in 225/60/16.
The tread width is a full 1.5 inches wider than the Geos. It's a whole different car.
Now there's no more squeal and I'm much more confident in the corners, rain & ice.
The slightly larger diameter tire looks better on the car too.
When the time comes, you can get a better tire for the same $$ as the Geos would cost.

·
German tech
3,563 Posts
We are talking the 17 inch Geo's here btw.

I've talked to two local owners that got more than 40,000 km out of there Geo's so time will tell.

Here in NSW we can't legally put wider tyres on the car. In fact, you can't put any tyre size that is not listed on the placard (only one).

When the time comes I'll look but based on the few km's I have done so far, I'd replace with Geo 17's if needed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts