Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the passenger door lock solenoid/actuator has failed on my 05 FSTI. The local garage are being given the brush off by Subaru parts saying its an import.

Don't want to get stung by them telling me its got a much more expensive import only item when its exactly the same as the UK ones. Can't imagine that kind of part would be any different?

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,546 Posts
I don't see why this would be any different to the XT but without checking you can't be sure.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Try ForesterSpares.co.uk - they've probably got a 2nd hand one from an XT and will be a lot cheaper than a new one if it is different... Like fpan says, can't see why it would be though.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried Foz spares, but unfortunatley they don't have one.

Have done a couple of searches on the web and it looks like these may be a weak point on the Foz, seem to have been a fair few cases in the States..but not seen many here strangely.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
There appears to be two options for this.......
ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY -DOOR, LEFT FRONT
61100AE010 superceded by 61100AE011
or
61100SA010

The UK XT's come fitted with 61100SA010 (FOR SECURITY) which is probably because they have the "double deadlock" feature.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don, your endless knowledge is awesome and very helpful.

I wonder whether putting a UK style version with the deadlock feature on a central locking system without this function would create issues, or whether you'd just end up with a deadlocked passenger door!?

Any ideas on the difference in costs if such a part would have to be shipped in specially?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
Just to add the non double lock actuators have 4wire terminal plugs

The double lock actuators have 6 wire terminal plugs.

61100AE011 Actuators available in US for $73

Double locking doesn't appear to be used on EDM LHD vehicles.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don, do you know where in the States i can get this part? Had a look and didn't find any suppliers that would ship to the uk?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Your local dealer shoud be able to get the part. All they normally do with imports is send the VIN number to head office by e-mail and they tell them the part number. If they won't do this try another dealer.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have spoken to the local Scoob dealer and they want £150 for the actuator unit. Seems a bit steep compared to $75!

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
I have spoken to the local Scoob dealer and they want £150 for the actuator unit. Seems a bit steep compared to $75!
But what part number did they quote on?

Can see the double lock unit being more expensive than the norm.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Don, do you know where in the States i can get this part? Had a look and didn't find any suppliers that would ship to the uk?

Thanks
^As above
Try hodges subaru or subarupartsgirl.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eventually managed to get the actuator from the States and even with my limited abilities managed to fit in 30 mins.

Useful to know for FSTI owners as i've heard from US owners that these start to go regularly after a few years.

UK Cost: £150 for actuator plus £60 labour.
DIY: £55 inc postage and 30 mins basic maintenance.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Nice work, that man! ;o)

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Good work :)
Can you post a summary of how to replace to have as a reference for others to use?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
Eventually managed to get the actuator from the States and even with my limited abilities managed to fit in 30 mins.

Useful to know for FSTI owners as i've heard from US owners that these start to go regularly after a few years.

UK Cost: £150 for actuator plus £60 labour.
DIY: £55 inc postage and 30 mins basic maintenance.
Glad it all worked out OK :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 BMW 130i Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The actuator unit is a small cigarette packet sized black plastic unit with a white small rocker switch on the end that locks and unlocks the door.

To get to it, you need to take the door panel off. Really easy in the Foz. Just 1 screw under the internal door pul and then disconnent the elctric window switch when you pull the whole thing off.

The actuator unit in just in front of the latch mechanism and is held in by 1 screw. You need to take the 3 screws out of the latch and disconnect the door latch hanger. The whole unit is then loose. To get it out, you need to take metal brace out that seems to be there to keep everything structurally secure. It is held in by two more bolts.

Then its literally a case of taking the electric plug out of the old actuator, remove two screws that hold it to the latch assembly and pop the new one in. Reverse the process and hey presto.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts