Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

are OEM tires made differently?

('14-'18) 
18K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  coach1moon 
#1 ·
I just replaced my OEM Geolandar G91s after only 30,000 miles as they were all, despite regular rotation and proper inflation, worn to the nub. The guy at the shop said that OEM tires wear earlier because they are made softer than other tires of the same, exact model, to make a softer and more pleasant test drive for potential buyers. Not sure if I buy that, or not, but these did need replacing much earlier than they should have. Curious if that sounds plausible, or not.

FYI, with snow season coming, I could no longer wait to see if Yokohama would introduce a 225/60/17-sized G015, so went with the AT-S.

#8 ·
Sorry! For some reason, I missed the page! :icon_redface:

----

ckimmerle, as the other members have written - and as regajohn picked out very specifically - yes, the OEs do spend some resources to work with their selected tire manufacture to tune the vehicle/tire combination to suit their desired characteristics.

Exactly what those traits are, however, I do not know in terms of our Subarus, and I am truly not sure if any "technician" at the level of can really say. All that I can relate is that I saw/felt first-hand the differences that this OE-level of tuning did on the Dubai Autodrome, in high-end performance vehicles driven hard by factory test-drivers who each was specifically assigned to tune that specific tire for the vehicle manufacturers' desired performance traits.

Whether these differences can be seen or even generalized accurately in a general vehicle service bay? That I cannot say......

#3 ·
What tire dealer told you is true. OEM tires are crappy in most of the cases. Simple Google search will tell you that regardless of which car and model you read about. Look closely on tires. You will see treadware number and performance rating. The lower the treadware number, the lower life of tire is. You have made good decision of changing the tires. Trust me, you will feel lot confident with non OEM tires in snow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I wouldn't be surprised. Auto manufacturers buy a single model of tire in massive quantities. It's not like they buy them off the shelf. They buy them from (in this case Yokohama) at a price point and with requirements for pressure, ride quality, load, etc. The price trumps everything, though. OE tires have a lousy reputation for a reason.

Like the Bridgestone RE92 that came on the GD Impreza that everyone despised. Cheap, performed poorly in most conditions (including dry) and wore quickly.

#6 ·
#7 ·
My last car was a Honda, that put Continental tires on the car at the factory. These tires lasted 19 to 21k miles on every car noted on the Honda forum. A really soft tire to impress new owners of the quiet ride. I have a 2011 Subaru Forester that has Yokohama OEM tires with 23k miles on them, and they are good until next Fall. I park my 2015 Forester with 15k miles on it next to the 2011, and see that the tread wear is only slightly less on the 2011. Not bad. Still, I'm putting Michelin's on when I finally get new tires.

#11 ·
I wouldn't be surprised. Auto manufacturers buy a single model of tire in massive quantities. It's not like they buy them off the shelf. They buy them from (in this case Yokohama) at a price point and with requirements for pressure, ride quality, load, etc. The price trumps everything, though. OE tires have a lousy reputation for a reason.

Like the Bridgestone RE92 that came on the GD Impreza that everyone despised. Cheap, performed poorly in most conditions (including dry) and wore quickly.

Okay, so if I go to a dealer and ask for a new set of OEM Yokes (Geolandar G91s), are they going to put their own Yokes on the car or the same model Yokes (Geolandar G91s) that are sold at tire stores?

#12 ·
The OEM Geolandars on my Crosstrek were at 7/32's out of 10, on my 40kmile Crosstrek when I sold it to get the Forester. Sounds like your alignment was off, or you didn't regularly rotate per spec. They are extremely long lasting tires...

What tire dealer told you is true. OEM tires are crappy in most of the cases. Simple Google search will tell you that regardless of which car and model you read about. Look closely on tires. You will see treadware number and performance rating. The lower the treadware number, the lower life of tire is. You have made good decision of changing the tires. Trust me, you will feel lot confident with non OEM tires in snow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
OE tire are usually harder rubber. Brake less, grip and hold the road less. But are quieter (consumers like on test drives), and lower rolling resistance to get better mpg ratings (to help with that advertised figure, and CAFE). That's the general consensus and has been the case with my last few cars from Honda/Acura/Subaru.

#14 ·
The OEM Geolandars on my Crosstrek were at 7/32's out of 10, on my 40kmile Crosstrek when I sold it to get the Forester. Sounds like your alignment was off, or you didn't regularly rotate per spec. They are extremely long lasting tires...
I would not assume that. After reading a bunch about tires here and also on the Crosstrek forum, I have noticed a trend with regard to tire life reported:

Folks who drive in flatter areas, with less curvy roads, less severe rain and snow (like the above person from Atlanta) report high tire life. Those of us who drive in mountain areas, carving canyons regularly, live with snow or rain, etc report less tire life.

IE. I'm in the Pacific NW and can tell you for sure the roads around town (and of course in the mountains) are much rougher than what my family in ATL drives on. We get so much rain here, our roads are made rougher for traction. Also other small issues like the road crown is sloped more, most roads are curvy/twisty, even in the metro area, etc all wear down tires quicker.

Then of course there is driving style.

But anyway, getting 30K out of the Geolanders isn't bad, considering the driver is in Wyoming.

#13 ·
I'll throw my $0.02 in the ring on this subject:

I work for a major vehicle manufacturer. One of my colleagues used to work for Goodyear, one of our suppliers. As he tells it, you will never find a tire sold in the aftermarket as nice at the set that came on your vehicle originally. This is because, in many cases, the vehicle manufacturer paid to have these tires designed for their specific application. As the tires are produced, only the nicest tires (the ones with fewest defects) are sent to the vehicle manufacturer, since they are the ones most concerned with initial quality, warranty reduction, etc.

That's not to say that vehicle manufacturers always pick the best tire for an application (Potenza RE92, anyone?), but in that case, the RE92s that were sent to Subaru would probably have been just a bit nicer than the ones you bought to replace that original set.

#15 ·
Do these tires have markings on them that they were specially made to car manufacture's specs? And do they have different compound or even tread possibly?

Example: on my 2011 2.5X, if I take the OEM Dueler HT 687 and compare with a Dueler HT 687 at discount tire, am I going to see differences (excluding the DOT number)?

#17 ·
The original G95's on my 2011 Forester did not have temp, traction or treadwear indicators on the sidewall - even the full size spare with stock G95's (which were not bought with the car, but added later on - these were bought from Tire Rack and not as a new OEM wheel take-off) did not have it either. This probably means they are not rated the same so it is not expected to last long.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.