Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Are My Approach Lights Working Correctly?

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  rojabus 
#1 ·
I have owned my '14 Forester XT with auto dimming outside mirrors for 23 days. In the beginning I clearly recall that when I approached the vehicle I couldn't get closer than a good foot or two away from the driver's door handle before I would see that the approach lights had come on. As long as I had the keyless entry fob in my pocket it was literally IMPOSSIBLE for me to touch a front door handle BEFORE the approach lights would have already come on. By the time I would get physically close enough to touch a front door handle the car would invariably have already turned the approach lights on.

But a week ago the approached lights behavior reversed 180 degrees. Ever since then, no matter how close I get to the car, as long as there is no physical contact the approach lights do NOT come on until AFTER I touch the car (usually a front door handle).

This is the exact opposite of how I remember it was in the beginning, so my question is which way is normal: the way it is now or the way I recall it used to be?

:icon_confused:

#4 ·
It should work as it did at first. They should illuminate when you (and your key fob) are within ~ 4-6 feet from the front door handle.

Mine do this, but I think I had some instances where it did not illuminate. It is probably sensitive to the key fob location... if it is next to your phone or wadded up in your pocket, there might be some issues with the signal.

#12 ·
I agree with GMAX here, it defeats the purpose of the approach lights if they don't come on when you approach. My 2017 comes on when within a few feet of the door, as yours did originally. I'd take it in to get looked at.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.