Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Need some help and assistance. We are heading into the interior to Uluru from Sydney in a 09/10 Forester (us) with friends ( 10 Outback) each towing a camper trailer and then thinking about heading back via the Plenty Highway.

We have researched this highway and although they say its ok and it can be achieved, we are not sure if they are meaning that the bigger 4x4's such as the Landcruisers and Pajeros etc are able to do it or whether the Fozzie can handle it.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Personally i think a Fozzie can handle anything but I'm biased LOL.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Get some General Grabbers on 'em both and you'll be amazed. Any other trip reports/web sites you could look at?

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
As I've done Cape York via the Old Telegraph Track; crossed the Simpson Desert; the Savanna run, then the Plenty should be possible. I don't tow anything of course but hey unless it rains you should be fine. We've had Subies towing in the outback quite regularly but generally with larger vehicles around in case needed. From the little I know about it, I think the the water crossings would be your main concern especially if steep entries or exits.

Have a look here: http://www.australian-4x4.com.au/the-plenty-highway-australia.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are Forresters tough enough

Thanks guys. Much appreciated and thanks for the link. Doing some further research it suggests that 2 wheel drive cars can get through but i think if it gets wet all bets are off.

Cheers

·
Registered
1998 Forester Limited
7 Posts
We had a guy in about 2005 drive Plenty in a stock 2001 Forester.

So just watch the road conditions sites for QLD & NT to ensure it is open, drive to the conditions & it should be OK.

So the Forester & Outback should be OK, but the trailers will need to be strong off road types.

·
Registered
08 X
209 Posts
Just a heads-up: if you're charging the CT battery from the alternator using an Anderson connector near the hitch, cable tie the connector together.

The halves can vibrate apart and at a min you'll be hunting far and wide for a replacement and at worse you can fry the CT electrics if the bare cable shorts.

(The CT side drops to the ground and the connector gets ripped off; you then have a bare +ve lead flailing around).

I learned this the hard way.

PS I've done most of the Oodnadatta Tk and also the Mereenie Loop towing a light off-road CT; no probs apart from the above.)

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
^ good point. Same applies to cig lighter plugs as well as they can loosen which causes arching then they melt! Again, personal experience too.

I use Anderson plugs now for the supply running off the second battery.

·
Registered
08 X
209 Posts
Don't know the Plenty Hway but if there are rocks half-buried or loose, you might also consider getting an alloy sump guard from SubaXtreme. Std issue guard is pretty light weight.

And yes, good tyres and adjusting them for the conditions will save you some grief. There are lots of posts about those matters. I fitted Dueller ATs in light truck construction, did over a 1000 km on the last trip on some pretty ordinary dirt roads (8000 km total) and had no dramas.

·
Registered
2011 Forester MY11XT Auto
43 Posts
Mate, I don't know about the Plenty Highway, but our MY09 XT groans, squeaks and rattles over the finest road irrugularities in suburban Melbourne. If I took it anywhere near a decent 4WD track I reckon it would totally fall apart.

Sorry, but their structural rigidity is rubbish. They feel light, because they're built light. Its a passenger car floorpan, not a chassis. They have less soundproofing than a skateboard, and the fit of the plastics and trims is woeful. I am absolutely serious in saying that our car is developing a new noise roughly every week. They're so numerous, its almost impossible to describe them all to the dealer. Its driving me nuts. There's so much flex in the body its a joke.

Sorry, but the worst quality car I have ever owned. Good engine that's ruined by a poorly built body. Personally, take it offroad at your peril. I'd rather walk.

Brent.

·
Registered
08 X
209 Posts
My experience has been different. 09 MY owned from new. On the 'big trip' last year we did well over 10,000km on corrugated dirt roads in SA and NT. Only rattle was btwn the dash and front pillar.

One thing I did learn, which may be relevant to you subiedownunder, is that towing is hard on the donk so I halve the oil change interval.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts