Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring auto
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 Forester and wanted to buy a few OEM accessories and wanted some feedback. The accessories I want are:
1. the front bumper Brush Guard (to protect the bumper in NYC parking)
2. the Moonroof Air Deflector, the Rear Differential Protector
3. the Rear Window Dust Deflector.

Question: Are any of these worthwhile or are they unneccesary crap? Do these external add-ons hold up in sun and cold weather?? I would appreciate some first-hand experiences.

Thanks in advance. FYI... the cheapest place I found to buy Subaru Accessories is SubaruPartsPeople.com. On almost every item their prices beat everyone - especially my local dealer's.
Also does anyone have a photo of a 2003+ Forester with the Bumper Guard on?

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
With the exception of the diff guard I would say if you like it, get it. Those are exterior add ons.

The diff guard OTOH, do you off-road or rally-x at all?

If not I would say skip it.

If so I would suggest Primitive racing.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
All worthless for the city.

If you offroad, get the diff guard and definitely pass on the Brush Guard. That thing decreases the already poor approach angle.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
MountainBiker said:
All worthless for the city.

If you offroad, get the diff guard and definitely pass on the Brush Guard. That thing decreases the already poor approach angle.
The brush guard is a piece of plastic bling, a small tree could remove it fairly easily :lol:

·
Registered
06 XSL Automatic
382 Posts
abbyw said:
Don't know this one.

Would this not partially obscure the roof when you look up?

Would've thought this would only be handy if you're travelling at speed, but then won't be that useful once your rear window is already building up dirt.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
What we put on our 2003...

abbyw said:
I just bought a 2003 Forester and wanted to buy a few OEM accessories and wanted some feedback. The accessories I want are:

Question: Are any of these worthwhile or are they unneccesary crap? Do these external add-ons hold up in sun and cold weather?? I would appreciate some first-hand experiences.

Thanks in advance. FYI... the cheapest place I found to buy Subaru Accessories is SubaruPartsPeople.com. On almost every item their prices beat everyone - especially my local dealer's.
Also does anyone have a photo of a 2003+ Forester with the Bumper Guard on?
I considered all the accessories available for my wife's 2003 Forester XS....we wanted functional items as well as ones that added to the overall appearance. We went with the hood protector, armrest extention (worth it's weight in gold) & Subaru wheel locks.....we will also be putting on a quality tint to enhance the Platinum Silver monotone paint. ;)

We were not a fan of the moonroof deflector (it has a built in deflector already & the size of the add on was a little gawdly imo....we also took the roof rack cross bars off to help improve fuel economy). Same goes for the brush guard......not practical for us, does not look nice & adds unecessary weight & was not cheap. The rear dust deflector just didn't look right at the back end on the 2003.

J

·
0 Posts
I can't believe that the Subaru dealer's brush guard is plastic. I've never heard of a plastic brush guard. If it IS plastic, its a disgrace. All brush guards I've seen are made of steel. They protect against brush, not against accidents or hitting something like a deer. Even a minor collision in the front will damage a brush guard. You might as well damage the bumper. And anything other than a very minor collision in the front is liable to also push the brush guard against other front end items and damage them anyway. In addition, aftermarket brush guards are very expensive for what you get, like about $400 and up. And they get in the way when you wash and wax the car. I'd not get one unless you travel offroad through brush and/or really like the looks of one. If you get one, do a Google search for "brush guards" and see if any of the makers of them make one for the Forester. You'll find a variety of makers and styles.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
A few accessories that you may want to consider

Subaru all weather mats

Rear storage area protector

if you've got painted bumpers, the rear bumper protector

thats about it for me

J

·
0 Posts
I recommend the cargo tray. It covers the whole floor of the cargo area, is form fitted to follow the lines of the front, back, and sides, including the wheel wells, thick rubber (or maybe its a soft pliable plastic), comes in gray (and perhaps tan), has a lip about 3/4" high all around it, and gives excellent protection to the floor of the cargo area. I have one and love it. I got it from the dealer. I think its around $70, but its very high quality and worth it.

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the bruch guard, but the rear bumper guard and the cargho tray are a must have.

T

·
0 Posts
Accessories Galore

Ditto on the rear bumper cover and the cargo area mat - both of which have been well worth it for us. Big dogs and moving random dirty things have helped these products prove their worth to me.

I also like the center armrest extension for comfort, the splashguards to help keep the car clean, and the compass/dimming mirror to keep me from getting lost.

My wife and I bought the Subaru all weather floor mats with Subaru bucks and wish we wouldn't have done so. They fit fine in the back, but they kinda stink for the front.

Also, the Subaru square cross bar rack system works well. Although, I wouldn't have bought it without Subaru bucks since it is more expensive than the similar Thule.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
OUr FXT had the rear spoiler on it when we bought it, but if it had not I would have purchased the dust deflector and had it installed. We had one on our 99 Forester, and it was great. Meanwhile, I had nothing of that nature on another wagon I had at the time, and my rear window was always full of crud. If I had it to do again, I'd definitely get the dust deflector. HPH

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
A lot of people here say the brush guard is useless. If you park on the street in Manhattan like I do, it's worth every cent. I don't know how it stands up to brush, but it's perfect for parallel parking in the city, where people park by "feeling" the car in front and behind.

I for one loaded up on the adhesive strips. But my car is black and so are the strips, they look like they belong there.

subarugenuineparts.com seems to have good prices.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
Brush Guard

You should see the 06 version of the brush guard, chome-colored plastic below the bumper. Pretty, but useless. I have one on my 06 only because it came with it. I actually asked them to remove it because I did not want to pay $350 extra for it. The just left it on the car. It's cosmetic for sure - more visual than protective. I like the old brush guards on the 98-2002 Foresters better, but they don't fit the newer models.
Since we are towing our Forester behind our RV, I am designing an attachment to the towbar so I can mount lights and a shield to protect the car from all the debris kicked up by the RV.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
ogopogo said:
I installed these floormats. Easy to clean and they hold a lot of gunk. I had a set in my other car for 11 years. No cracks or wear.

http://www.huskyliners.com/floorliners.html
I went with the Weathertech all weather mats personally (Grey for the Forester & beige for the Lexus).......the Subaru mats are only available in black........in the winter....with all that salt? No thanks.

·
0 Posts
I agree with the rear cargo from Subaru, great deal. Our car came with rear spoiler which in my opinion just pushes the dirt and crud down onto the rear window. Thank goodness for the rear wiper. The cargo nets are kind of "iffy", at least they way they attach. I don't think they'll hold much weight.

The Subaru floor mats are another thing. We had them thrown in on the car deal (both front and rear) but I quickly threw them out! They're nice and thick but way too small to cover the entire floor. We put Huskyliners in front and back and they're great. I've had them in nearly all of my cars and trucks. If youe see the Huskyliners you'll know why they're called "trays' and not "mats".

Anyone interested in purchasing a set of black Subaru mats with little or no use? They're just sitting in my shop in the way.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
The cargo nets are actually quite handy, and hold what they are meant to hold, I believe. They are especially useful for quick trips to the grocery store when you only have a few bags and plenty of cargo room for them to roll around in, if it weren't for the nets. I use them all the time for picking up take-out, and never have to worry about something tipping over and spilling. ;)

As others have said, the cargo tray is an absolute necessity, as is the bumper guard (and splash guards) if you've got a painted bumper.

I've installed the diff protector on mine as well, as a "just-in-case" measure as I do occasionally get a wild hair to head off the beaten path. I haven't heard it scrape yet, but at least I know it's there, and it cost me much less than a new differential would. Most of my friends have larger 4wd trucks and SUV's, so I never know where I might end up when weekend-trekking with them.

And of course, if you ever want to do anything other than play cds with your stereo, save up for an aftermarket head-unit with DVD, Nav, satellite radio, or at minimum an aux-in port for your iPod.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
polaris said:
You should see the 06 version of the brush guard, chome-colored plastic below the bumper. Pretty, but useless. I have one on my 06 only because it came with it. I actually asked them to remove it because I did not want to pay $350 extra for it. The just left it on the car. It's cosmetic for sure - more visual than protective. I like the old brush guards on the 98-2002 Foresters better, but they don't fit the newer models.
Since we are towing our Forester behind our RV, I am designing an attachment to the towbar so I can mount lights and a shield to protect the car from all the debris kicked up by the RV.

I thought thats what Rockblocker is for. Excellent FULL TIME paint protection, even when your Forester isn't being towed behind the RV.

Tell Chad you're from www.subaruforester.org, and you'll get a special deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts