Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with Ferodo's DS3000 pads on the street? i ask because about 2 weeks ago i picked up a used set(for the front of course) of ap racing four piston calipers, 2-piece rotors(he said they are 305mm and they seem to be a bit larger than oem) and Ferodo DS3000 pads. at the time that i picked them up i knew that the DS3000 were more aggressive than the DS2500 but i didnt know that the DS3000 are for track only... the dude that sold them to me told me that they are only ok until they warm up but once they do they are nice. of course i figured that would be the case with aggressive pads...

well i put them on and because i knew that they were quite aggressive i was somewhat careful on the street until they warmed up some. to my surprise they weren't bad at all until they warmed up or at least what i considered warmed up. after braking a couple of times they felt really good. the pads and rotors look to be in really good shape considering that he said they have about 10k of use on them... my only complaint is that there is A LOT OF BRAKE DUST!!! mind you i dont have a problem with brake dust i'm not a show and appearance kind of guy when it comes to my cars but they are REALLY bad! these pads are definitely not recommended for anyone who loves their rims or doesnt have time to clean rims often...

oh btw, the guy says that the kit was originally from kvrperformance.com apparently they go for about $1999 on their website. the two selling points for me were the price he sold them for and that it fits under the oem rims. i'm trying to keep the XTs as stock looking as possible so that is why i want to keep oem rims but "ap racing" is written in yellow on the calipers, DOH!

anyway, the real reason i'm posting this is to see if anyone has used Ferodo DS3000 pads on the street. they seem just fine to me on the road. i did search both this forum and nabisco. the best i could get was on nabisco, some guy said that the DS3000 are for track only but that they were not bad on his rotors. since these pads have lots of life on them i was thinking of just leaving them on and swapping them out with DS2500 pads when these are used up... any personal experiences? what do you guys think?

aaannnddd some pics...

Attachments

· Premium Member
2021 Forester Sport
2,238 Posts
Those look sick. I was recommended some ferrodo pads but I don't know which model the were. What price did you get on those pads? I was quoted around $230 for all 8 pads

· Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,280 Posts
The DS3000 are considered track pads because they require a minimum operating temperature to work properly. It would suck if your brakes cooled down too much while putting around the city or highway and couldn't stop you in an emergency braking maneuver.

Get a pad that is designed with a higher cold friction coefficient. The DS2500, or any other aggressive street pad, seems to be better suited for your needs. You can always store the DS3000's and bed them in just before a track day if you get the urge.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, yeah, i think i will fork over the cash and get the DS2500 and just store the DS3000. kinda sucks to spend more money but like you said Northwest Tan, what if the brakes cool to much during some lite city driving... not worth the headache...

filibence, i actually paid $800 for everything. calipers,rotors and pads all came together. i picked it up from a guy about an hour from me. although, i think i saw about $170 for the wrx front Ferrodo DS2500. dont quote me on that but it should be around that...

· Premium Member
2021 Forester Sport
2,238 Posts
thanks guys, yeah, i think i will fork over the cash and get the DS2500 and just store the DS3000. kinda sucks to spend more money but like you said Northwest Tan, what if the brakes cool to much during some lite city driving... not worth the headache...

filibence, i actually paid $800 for everything. calipers,rotors and pads all came together. i picked it up from a guy about an hour from me. although, i think i saw about $170 for the wrx front Ferrodo DS2500. dont quote me on that but it should be around that...

· Registered
none none
8,710 Posts
The biggest problem you'll have with the 3000 is after long highway driving. You'll goto stop at a tollbooth and nothing will happen. Just curious, do those calipers use the same pads that a more common OEM caliper uses, or are there specific pads for them?

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, i just talked to terry from kvrperformance in canada. very knowledgeable guy and super nice as a bonus. if anyone ever has any brake questions call him up...

anywho... the pads are are for THIS ap racing caliper specific so:

caliper part number is: CP5100
Ferodo DS2500 brake pads part number for this specific caliper is: FRP219-H
Ferodo DS3000 brake pads part number for this specific caliper is: FRP219-R

if anyone cares...

he said that he had asked ap racing specifically to provide a caliper to work under 16" rims...

just bought a set of Ferodo DS2500 from them- $150 shipped to me in illinois. so there you go pretty cheap, in my opinion.

· Premium Member
2018 Forester XT 6spd/8spd/Many Gears CVT
1,384 Posts
That kit was designed for Group-N rally guys. They can only use a certain disk size.

As far as pads, 3000s will eat up your rotor very quickly when they are cold. Once they are hot, they will not be soo bad. Wow, I have not seen the AP5100 caliper in such a long time. That kit was only used in Europe and never really sold here. AP has updated that kit to the 5200 caliper, I believe, need to double check.

DS2500s are what come with all the calipers from the UK because they are the street rated pads.

We are working with a company to look at the possibility of making a 4piston kit to fit under 16inch wheels for rally cross guys.

Pads that come with the AP Calipers are either shared from another caliper or are specifically made for that caliper.

We only use AP Racing kits for all our cars street or track.

Regards,
Gary

· Registered
99 RS
74 Posts
For 8 hun, I'd buy those in a heartbeat too.
Good score on the MONSTER binders.

In the mean time I'll have to keep my eye out for some cheap used wrx 4 pots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts