Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car are not heavily modified. Currently only have Catted Helix downpipe and stage 2 open source tune as the only engine modification. I might be stepping up to VF48 due to some concern with the current TD04.

I am considering basic AEM EUGO, Innovate MTX-L and if its wort the expense might jump on AEM Failsafe boost gauge & wideband combination.

Regular UEGO cost about $165 + you need about $30-40 of USB adapter to connect to PC. The failsafe UEGO cost bout $275-300 but its a combination of boost gauge and wideband. It also have build in datalogging capability and comes with USB connector already. Plus I do not like the clutter of multiple gauge. The build in boost gauge are more valuable to me for driving, AFR value are not really helpful for normal (non tuning) driving condition. AEM Performance Electronics Wideband Air Fuel Failsafe Gauge - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

So for $80-105 more you also got a lot more capable gauge.
Does anybody have any experience with this gauge?
Are they easy to install?
Are they worth the expense and trouble on VF turbo application?
Since Subaru are prone to boost leak and possible lean condition to occur down the road after the tune this might be the ticket to safe the engine.

Most seems to recommend connecting the failsafe to boost solenoid for Subaru application. A relay added to the circuit supposed to ground the solenoid and only would give spring boost pressure. Is there any other option that would work better?
Does it require cutting ECU wires to tap the tach signal?

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
All reports I've heard are that this is not going to work in its "Failsafe" way (pulling timing/boost/whatever it does when it senses a dangerous condition) with a factory ECU; only aftermarket like Haltech, MoTeC, etc.

As a dual gauge though, probably a good idea if you don't want two...

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I end up with regular UEGO since the failsafe does not work with Romraider yet. There a few people wire it to boost control solenoid or ground the diagnostic connector for the ECU. Its not proven it that really going to safe your engine or not in Subaru application.

I do not believe even wastegate pressure is safe to run in lean condition. ECU Limp mode are probably better but nobody find a sure way to trigger it with OEM ECU yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts