Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
If you're referring to removing the one-piece upper grille from your MY08, there are clips holding it in place at the top, and the grille itself clips into a lip in the bumper cover at the bottom. If this is the lower section you're referring to, a quick pull on the lower section of the grille away from the front of the vehicle should pop it free...

If not, please elaborate.
sorry if I'm coming across rather harsh

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
There is also a slight difference between the 03 and 04/05 grills. They are interchangeable, but the 03 grills are a single aluminum piece, where as the 04/05 Grills are molded ABS with a detachable chrome trim ring.

When I blacked out an 03 grill a few years ago, I sanded it down and you can actually sand off the stock gunmetal paint and polish the grill up real nice if that was your thing.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,366 Posts
But you can swap the entire front end of an 06-08 with an 03-05 correct? Lights, surrounds, grill, bumper, etc.
It's doable, Maestro did it, but it's much more intensive than just body panels. There are underlying supports and brackets that need to be swapped as well.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
There is also a slight difference between the 03 and 04/05 grills. They are interchangeable, but the 03 grills are a single aluminum piece, where as the 04/05 Grills are molded ABS with a detachable chrome trim ring.

When I blacked out an 03 grill a few years ago, I sanded it down and you can actually sand off the stock gunmetal paint and polish the grill up real nice if that was your thing.
Do you have any pictures of this? Are the points where the clips that mount the grill to the car made of aluminum as well? I broke some of the plastic bits and a friend has a beat up 03 forester that would trade grills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.