Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get some ARB's for my '04 Foz? Do I need to replace both at the same time? Also, I have noticed there is a huge amount of lifting and diving when accelerating/braking. Whats the cheapest way to stop this from happening? Is it a case of new suspension? Sorry for the (possibly) dumb questions but I am a bike man and have limited knowledge of 4 wheeled stuff....!!!!

Cheers,

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Like your bike, the only way to stop lifting and diving is stiffer springs, combined with new struts(dampers) or not.

The Forester is front biased, so its usually fine to uprate the rear ARB to match the front as a first step, usually using and Impreza WRX take off part.

Simon

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a place where I can get some ARB's for my '04 Foz? Do I need to replace both at the same time? Also, I have noticed there is a huge amount of lifting and diving when accelerating/braking. Whats the cheapest way to stop this from happening? Is it a case of new suspension? Sorry for the (possibly) dumb questions but I am a bike man and have limited knowledge of 4 wheeled stuff....!!!!

Cheers,
Have a word with James at GRD if you want someone to do things for you - he does most of the Surrey boys' suspension upgrades and has done quite a few of our forum Foresters now..... Tell him I sent you :biggrin:

:: GRD - Greenwood Racing Developments ::

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys,I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, bikes have far more adjustability than car stuff and new forks are rarely needed although revalving and fitting stiffer springs are common for race stuff. I think I'll settle for some ARB's to reduce the wallowing at first and then look at fitting stiffer springs.

Again,

Cheers for your help,

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I have reduced the collection to one now

CCM R30

Whats yours Ben

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
ben,

rear anti roll bar will tighten the back end up but not as much as subframe locking bolts which are a sub £20 mod, check this out: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/rear-subframe-bolts-you-faq-32200/

If you need to replace the suspension and can live with a lower forester then see if you can get a set of STI struts off an impreza. This will definately stop the seesaw motion and wallow your getting now. But it will make the ride firmer.

Not really very cheap but £250 should get you a set of struts, and them fitted. A compitent mechanic will probably take 20-30 minutes a corner.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have reduced the collection to one now

CCM R30

Whats yours Ben
Well, I only race them. I race Supersport on a ZX-6RR, previously did some British Endurance on a ZX-10 and a ZX-6RR. Haven't raced this year as my missus has banned me since the birth of our daughter! Women eh.....

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ben,

rear anti roll bar will tighten the back end up but not as much as subframe locking bolts which are a sub £20 mod, check this out: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/rear-subframe-bolts-you-faq-32200/

If you need to replace the suspension and can live with a lower forester then see if you can get a set of STI struts off an impreza. This will definately stop the seesaw motion and wallow your getting now. But it will make the ride firmer.

Not really very cheap but £250 should get you a set of struts, and them fitted. A compitent mechanic will probably take 20-30 minutes a corner.
Cheers for that mate. Do you use these in conjunction with an ARB?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
In my opinion the rear locking bolts have a different effect to a rear ARB.

The subframe bolts stop the rear subframe moving under load giving a much more precise feel to the rear of the car, especially under 'S' manouvers.

The rear ARB stiffens the rear in roll, this reduces roll angles slightly and significantly reduces the inherent 'drives from the front' understeer feel of the standard car.

Simon

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
My advice would be to do front and rear ARBs and do the drop links (whiteline or whatever) at the same time. If you have dinero for front and rear strut tower bars (ebay cheapies are fine) do them too. Along with the subframe bolt kit (and some decent tyres) you can have a fair handling car (and a huge improvement over stock) for not much if you shop around. A performance alignment would probably help too.

I'm not a massive fan of impreza take off ARBs. Sure they're better than stock but are they good enough and if you end up keeping the car (as many do) will you simply put tougher ones on later?

I used to have a ZX6R. Loved it. Now I'm an old Harley guy. :shrug:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts