Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 2.0xt
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home last night I noticed after a spirited negotiation of a roundabout I'd developed a nasty knock at the back of the car. I stuck my head under the back end when i got home and found the N/S ARB mount had come away from the chassis leg. I'd kind of been waiting for it to happen since I fitted the Whiteline, so rectification called. Seeing as my nearest dealer is nearly ten miles away and i'm teaching myself to weld I thought I'd have a go a glueing back together..

After welding the lugs back on.

A bit of reinforcement

Ready for a bit of paint. Suppose I'll have to do the other side now!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts
Nice job, the later OEM ones come with doubler pads spot welded to the lug area.

Should be as good as the H/D Whiteline mounts :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,975 Posts
Breaking stuff on your suspension is a badge of honour. Usually the drop link mount breaks before the ARB mount. What bar do you have on - DAF truck?:biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
i stick bits of steel together for a living and looking at your attempt i would say you are doing pretty good,keep up the good work

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Just curious, but why not just goto the sti swaybar mounts? They're shorter, but are incredibly well reinforced and designed. It also uses 2 bolts for the bracket instead of the slot and bolt system.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
105 Posts
Just curious, but why not just goto the sti swaybar mounts? They're shorter, but are incredibly well reinforced and designed. It also uses 2 bolts for the bracket instead of the slot and bolt system.
I would not recommend this, I have just taken off STI mounts and put the originals back on.

I've had problems with bending drop links, flipping bar over, bar moving and the bushes moving out of the brackets.

I'll report any problems if they happen as only swapped over this week.

I have a couple for sale though if anybody is interested!

Steve

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,564 Posts
Steve,

I think by MY05 Subaru beefed up (as mentioned in post above) the mounting points of the OEM mounts so you should be OK.(although Karma broke his)

The shorter STi mounts and standard suspension ride heights don't seem to go together.

Funkymonkey running "WRX suspension", so not a problem.

·
Mr. November 2008
2015 BMW 335d xDrive GT Auto
977 Posts
Yes, one of mine broke pretty much in the same place, I woudn't have said they looked any stronger than the pictured one.

The Whiteline part I ended up with was the Impreza version rather than the Forester version, so the bar would have fouled the fuel tank. Some pieces of drilled steel bar were employed as spacers and there is almost a fingertip of clearance now. The Whiteline parts are very strongly constructed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts