Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'll be going back for a tune tweak on 11/7, I'm thinking of adding an APS 65mm CAI before I go (currently on stock box) and get my tune adjusted for it. A few questions:

1. How much of a gain can I expect to see?
2. How much of a noise increase can I expect? Will it sound the same as a snorkus delete?
3. Is the APS filter media decent? Are there filter options for use with this intake?

TIA for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Since I'll be going back for a tune tweak on 11/7, I'm thinking of adding an APS 65mm CAI before I go (currently on stock box) and get my tune adjusted for it. A few questions:

1. How much of a gain can I expect to see?
You're on a VF, right? 10-20whp, but more importantly, around 500 rpm quicker spool (that is what I saw on my WRX over the stock box with a K&N, snorkus delete)
2. How much of a noise increase can I expect? Will it sound the same as a snorkus delete?
It is a bit louder, but I personally like to hear my turbo
3. Is the APS filter media decent? Are there filter options for use with this intake?
Its fine, but usually gets beat up in the fender if you are buying used. You can buy a K&N cone filter to replace it if you have to.

TIA for your thoughts!
^^See my responses in bold. I would absolutely upgrade. You can pick them up on nasioc for $150. Worth every penny...

·
Registered
2010 rod nocker auto
1,709 Posts
hey I have one that I never got around to installing, and I'm about to go back to stock. I bought it used so I'd give you a good price. I wish I could have gotten it installed and back in for a tune. PM me as I don't look in here much anymore.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
How much louder the snorkus delete was than stock, this is that much louder again than the snorkus delete. At least, that was my take after doing them about 2 weeks apart.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
hey I have one that I never got around to installing, and I'm about to go back to stock. I bought it used so I'd give you a good price. I wish I could have gotten it installed and back in for a tune. PM me as I don't look in here much anymore.
You don't need a tune for the 65mm...just FYI...

For a bit of clarity, we tuners beat on the fact that when you change any, absolutely anything on the turboback exhaust that you need to get it tuned. If you change a turbo, you need to get it tuned.

Why? Because you have changed part of Subaru's boost control system. The 16-bit ECU weren't too sensitive to that based on how its logic is structured, but the 32-bit ECU's are. Make drastic changes to the TBE, your boost control systems starts to act like a red-headed step child...

If you are tuned right today, and you change one thing like the TMIC, intake, uppipe, put on P&P'd manifolds, or something like that, you probably don't need a tune. Your loads and your trims shouldn't change all that much (they will change, but if you were tuned right before, your ECU should have the necessary room and range for adjustment).

Now, if you were to change two or three or more of those things, I would suggest that you get retuned. You might have shifted load enough that its worth looking at again. Or you might have pushed into a MAF cell that isn't calibrated perfectly. Timing might need to be tweaked a hair.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
2010 rod nocker auto
1,709 Posts
Yeah sorry I didn't clarify. I had a lot of trouble when I went in for a tune after changing to an 18G and 750 injectors and STI IC. After that I installed a perrin turbo inlet, turbo blanket and DP wrap, TXS top mount and had bought the intake to round out the mods. I didn't install the CAI because I was a bit confused as to if it would cause any problems. I was waiting for the tune just because I know I was going to go back to take advantage of the other upgrades that fixed the problems we had on the dyno.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts