Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my funky-fresh, super-sweet subaruforester.? calander ( 8) ), I see that the first weekend in May is the 6-7th. :D
Y'all know what that means!!! Time to get the ball rolling.

This will now be a joint venture between subaruforester.? and offroadsubarus.com as there are some ORS.com members in the area who drive non-foresters. However, I'm thinking follow the same May meet format and keeping the meet in Pisgah and the off-road to the gravel roads with a pavement option so that none is left out. :D

Of course, I'd like to get y'alls input. :wink:
Edit: May 6th to April 29th.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BenMara said:
ill have to see if im takin class this summer durin those dates
Just so's you know, in the past we haven't done anything on Sunday. In the past, I've been trying to get folks to off-roading on the Sun. after the meet Sat., but so far I've had no takers. :( Maybe this year things will be different. :twisted:

Thanks for the 'sticky' (whoever did it???). :wink:

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What, deviate from the first weekend in May?!?!?! Just so Laurie can join us, Y'all must be crazy!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

O.K., I'll give in. :roll:

This is why I post this up with plenty of time to make arrangements. :D

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Alrighty, the first weekend in May has been shifted to the last weekend in April the 29th. Sun., the 30th wants some 'real' off-roaders, Brown Mountain, Heck Creek Rd., Hurricane Ridge anyone??? (lowered cars, need not apply :wink: )
Edit of date happening NOW!!!

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
pleiad7 said:
September should work, I think... :) I don't think we have any other plans yet.
Come on over, and I think I speak for everyone around here, your welcome anytime meet or not. 8) Then again, it would be safe to say that if you were to show up a meet would be arranged. :D

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Escher said:
I'm gonna have to see if I can make it. But I'd really like to join in on any off-road part, especially knowing that Carl has already done the recon on some good runs.

On the upside, now that my car is damaged, I might as well start to do some real damage to it off-road. :twisted:

Escher

PS: Carl, to you still have one of those old-style ORS.com stickers that you offered up some weeks/months ago? Now that I finally have my Fozza, I can't find the ones I got from TonyW anymore. :?
I only need one more off-roader to get the ball rolling. 8) Hope you can make it.

I think I can help you out with a sticker, e-mail or PM me your addy. :wink:

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Time to get down to some serious buisness...:D

I'm proposing a couple of changes (since we're deviating a bit already;)).

First; meet at the same 10:00am time at the Sycamore Flats picnic area and have an early lunch. Since we hang out in the visitors center parking lot anyway, why not eat while we're at it???

Second; split drives, gravel crew and 'lower' life form tarmac crew (need a trip leader volunteer). Since we've had lunch already, we've got more time for driving. We could plan the routes to take about the same amount of time and converge in the Asheville area for dinner, say around 4:00pm. Lots of options for tasty places to eat, choosing could be tough.

Third; I wanna' go off-roading!!! Sunday, weather permitting, I'm thinking Brown Mountain. Brown Mountain is about an hour and a half east of Asheville. This is for serious inquires only!!! I think that all six miles of trails may be do-able in a Subie. I've gotten in about 1/4 of a mile but the weather was getting ugly and I was by myself so I had to bail out. A sump guard is highly reccomended, you will get under carriage scrapes, body scratches are likely, and I'll be carrying recovery gear.:cool:
Here's a few pics;

None of this is set in stone, I'm just looking for ways to make it better and more fun, so any and all input is greatly appreciated.:cool:

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
MountainBiker said:
Now that sounds like fun! I hope you don't scare everyone away. :eek:
Looks like I scared everyone away:rolleyes:, why don't you come out and join us, I know you ain't skaired.;)

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
RubasuGirl said:
Now, where's this Fish Rock Road?:think:
Fish Rock Road is out in the SF Bay Area somewhere, a bit of a drive for us.:drive:

Sorry we'll miss you in April, but sometime this spring/summer/fall, Brown Mountain, and Trail 4.:cool:

Now, where is everyone else :?::?::?: Every time I try to solicite some input, everyone runs and hides.:-? I'm gonna' have to do some of this :buttkick:, or this :poke:, or maybe even some of this:Banane36:.

Hello!?!?

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
foresterxtguy said:
ok now your not answering me
Apologies, I normally answer pretty quickly.:oops: Got a bit busy, the family and I just got a house:D (well, almost, closing Mar. 29th).

As far as the tarmac part of the meet goes, it's still somewhat up in the air, waiting for a volunteer to lead it out. There are plenty of super fun twisty roads around here. I don't think the 'real' off-road is going to happen, but I will be driving the gravel at the meet.

As it stands, we will be meeting at the Sycamore Flats picnic area at 10am Sat. April 29th. The picnic area is located on Hwy. 276 just outside of Brevard NC in Pisgah National Forest, you can pack some picnic goodies or pick something up in Brevard, there are quite a few choises just down the road from the picnic area.

foresterxtguy we would certainly love to have you along.:cool:
Boca and Mrs. Yid, sounds like your in, it will be great to meet you.:D

Everyone else, it's roll call time:eek:mgwtfbbq Please sign in.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Boca_Yid said:
Last June we did a little gravel roading around Cass, WV (the other side of the mountain from Snowshoe).
One of my most memorable vacations as a kid was in Cass, WV. We rode the old train with all the switchbacks up the mountain, and checked out all these radio telescopes at some facility. Do you know if that train is still around??? I'd love to take my kids up there.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
yelnats_J said:
Carl, we are planning to arrive early in the day on Friday so how about we get together for a bite to eat. Do you think you guys will be able to do that?
We could certainly grab some grub Fri.:-D I get off of work at 3:30 so we should have plenty of time.

Thanks for the Cass,WV info and pics Boca and Fitz, brings back memories, it was sometime in the mid-70's that we went there, so it's been a while.

So far we have for sure:
Boca and Mrs. Yid
The yelnats crew
The j family (thats us)

Waiting to hear from:
The SuperRu crew
foresterxtguy
anyone else who wants to join us, all are welcome.:wink:

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Confirmed:
SuperRu Cru
yelnat's family
Mr. & Mrs. Boca Yid
The Jay's

Possibile:
Jason & Kat (we would love to meet your lovely wife:grin:)
foresterxtguy and GF

WHOOHOO!!! Things are looking great.

Please note new meeting place, Sycamore Flats Picnic Area (on the left side of 276 before you get to the visitors center, we'll eat and socialize here, then wing the rest of the day. If anyone wants more detailed directions, let me know where you'll be coming from and I'll post 'em up.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Boca_Yid said:
Any plans for Sunday?
I'm trying to decide on 2 or 3 nights hotel.
At this point, no plans for Sunday, but your welcome to stick around if you want.:D I'm sure we could come up with something.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Escher said:
I'd love to drive down for the Sunday off-road part.

BTW, Carl: I forget, you have a sump guard already, right? You got the ORS.com one? I'm about to order one of the last remaining from SubaXtreme, so at least I'll be ready from the protection side.
I've got no takers for off-road Sunday:-(, so you won't be missing out on anything. You are more than welcome to visit anytime.:grin:

I do have the ORS sump guard, but the SX one should suit you fine, better get it while the gettin's good.:wink:

Best wait on the sticker till it'll stick.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
foresterxtguy said:
ok i dont know if i am going to be making the meet. :sad: my clutch is done
Make it to the meet or not, we're all pulling (and, hopefully your clutch) for you.:grin: This is an on-going bi-annual meet, usually the first weekend in May, and again, sometime in the fall (off-road edition, however, all are welcome), so whenever you can make it we are here.

Good luck with the clutch, hope to meet you soon.:cool:

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Escher said:
Update: I definitely won't be able to make it this April.

I will hopefully have managed some off-road practice out in the Shenandoah/West Virginia.
:( We'll miss you, but hopefully you can make it down in the fall. Thanks for the update.

Make sure to well document any West Virginia adventures, I really want to make it up there sometime to do some exploring.:grin:

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
wdfarmer said:
Don't think I'll be making trips to Pisgah - that's a looong ways from here. :icon_frown: But raise a glass for me at your next meet, and have fun. :smile:

-- Wayne
Howdy Wayne,:grin:

Yeah, I guess MN to NC would be a bit of a drive for you, we'll miss you, but we'll give you a toast.:cool:

Hope all is well for you up there, and the new job has made the move worth while.

· Registered
2001 Outback
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
KUicehockey27 said:
But if there are any upcoming a tad closer im in!

Ryan
Howdy KUicehockey27!!!:grin:

I don't think this meet will move any closer too you, but it has been on going, once in the spring and once in the fall for two years now (this will be year three :cool:), so if/when you can ever make it down here we'd love to have you.

Boca, what time do you think you'll make it in Fri.???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts