Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using the search function, but came up empty.
Well, my 2002 Foz with 110,000 I think finally needs a new exhaust system. A few questions....the noise seems to be coming from the Catalitic converter, so if they replace this, do they have to replace everything it is tied into?
Also, any idea of the appx cost to replace the cat and piping to the muffler? (Not doing myself, shop is $70/hour)
Just wondering how much I am gong to need to shell out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
I tried using the search function, but came up empty.
Well, my 2002 Foz with 110,000 I think finally needs a new exhaust system. A few questions....the noise seems to be coming from the Catalitic converter, so if they replace this, do they have to replace everything it is tied into?
Also, any idea of the appx cost to replace the cat and piping to the muffler? (Not doing myself, shop is $70/hour)
Just wondering how much I am gong to need to shell out. Thanks.
You can just replace the catpipe if that's where the problem is. An OEM pipe will cost a lot of money, or you go for a highflow cat pipe, or buy a cat and have it welded in. You should not have to replace other sections of the exhaust unless you want to.

FYI, "cat back" refers to the exhaust after your catalytic converter (midpipe and axleback).

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
There are bolt-on high-flow cats available online for under $250. You'll still need new gaskets, obviously, but you could do the labor yourself with a bolt-on. Are you sure the noise isn't just a heat shield rattling loose? No need to spend for a new cat if the internals are still good.

·
Registered
2002 Forester
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke to my subie repair guy, and he said most likely my issue is that the resonator pipe has a hole it in. (Sounds like I have cherry bombs on the exhaust) The car seems to run fine, and there is no CEL/code...so he is thinking that the catalitic converter is ok? Looks like I may just have to replace the pipe and muffler?

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Spoke to my subie repair guy, and he said most likely my issue is that the resonator pipe has a hole it in. (Sounds like I have cherry bombs on the exhaust) The car seems to run fine, and there is no CEL/code...so he is thinking that the catalitic converter is ok? Looks like I may just have to replace the pipe and muffler?
If the only problem is your resonator, you can get away with just replacing your midpipe. No need to replace your muffler/axleback as well unless that too is rusted out or something. Depending on the size of the hole, you may be able to get the hole on your resonator welded closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts