Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hi. Been a member on here for ages, used to have a N/A Forester a few years ago but upgraded to a older GT about 18 months ago. Never added a journal on here so I figured I might just do that.

Please note these next few posts are all past posts on Welcome to OzFoz.com so it's not all happening now, i'll date each one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Foz GT (manual)

ENGINE
* Tuned at 212hp/331nm @16psi with wastegate issues
* TD04HLA-19T twinscroll turbo (from JDM 04 Legacy)
* JDM Legacy equal length headers & catless up-pipe
* 3” TBE system – Diff back in HiTech twin tip, rest is Xforce modded to suit turbo flange.
* Silicon intake & SFB
* 02 WRX TMIC with GFB plumb back BOV
* Blitz EBC – not setup at the moment until car is tuned.
* Twinscoll sump, dipstick etc.
* Walbro 500hp fuel pump
* K&N filter
* PMD blanking plate
* Resonatorectomy
* PVC in guard intake (used a 90mm>10mm coupler instead of flaring the end)

INTERIOR/ICE/ELECTRICS
* Upgraded alarm
* DLS 6.5" splits with Dynamat in doors
* Ghetto spec Kicker amp & Kenwood 12" Subwoofer
* Repainted interior stereo, aircon, cluster etc. to match body colour (silver metallic)
* Carbon fibre 60mm triple gauge pod with boost & narrowband A/F ratio
* JDM V6 STi RA front seats

EXTERIOR/SUSPENSION/DRIVELINE
* ozFoz (green) decal
* PMD Performance decal
* Dark tint (5%?)
* 22mm RSB with alloy mounts
* Debadged, with 'FORESTER' decals from doors adorning the rear over the 'SUBARU' (& holes), silver vinyl dots over 'Forester' badge holes.
* Blackened headlights
* Lowered on WRX suspension with (unknown) springs
* JDM Rear spoiler
* Stock 16” wheels repainted in satin black leaving silver lip
* Relocated rear number plate...moved up an inch (can post pic how if wanted)
* XT front calipers & rotors
* Short shifter

TO BE INSTALLED

* Custom coloured 'F' badge being painted for front grille
* Phenolic gaskets
* 2007 WRX front bumper modified to fit...in progress, see here: OzFoz.com • Login

Planned Mods:

* JDM STi Type M bodykit...hopefully
* Larger STi scoop (considering)
* Few nicks & scratches on the body so maybe a respray at some stage.
* Might swap for KYB shocks & lowered springs for comfort....or coilovers, screw the comfort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATEST PIC (May 2010):

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
29 December 2009

JDM STi V6 RA seats installed. (rims also recently painted satin black with silver lip left)

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
24 January 2010:

Picked up the twinscroll package yesterday...itching to get it all on now...

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
17 April 2010:

Day 1 of install:

Really only did 4 hours work today, spend alot of the morning sucking up to the missus.

Well all I can say is thank god for the rattle gun, did the majority of bolts in 2 minutes flat. The headers went from installed to off in 30sec flat. Bloody heavy things the are!

Rounded off one bolt but it was between the dump & mid-pipe which makes no difference to me anyway.

Got the hacksaw to the mother freakin inlet pipe. No idea how I'm going to get the other one back in

We did end up jacking up the engine (& undoing mounts) to get the back few bolts on the oil pan, used a universal joint & it was fairly easy...all off in about 20 mins. (Sorry no pics)

Basically stripped the car, cleaned gasket surfaces & checked fitment of the brackets etc. today, tomorrow is install which will take not long at all (aside from the inlet pipe). Welding up the dump & grinding down the turbo bracket in the morning too.

Was planning on doing lots of pics but got too involved (& dirty) to remember to take pics. I'll do some tomorrow though before I get into it again. Will get some TD04 v. TD04HLA-19t comparison pics.

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18 April 2010:

Day 2:

F*cking silicon intake!!!!11ty

5am start, pretty nice actually to be up that early doing stuff. 2 hours later the intake piece is on. Fark doing that again!

Started like this...

Got bascially everything done, but had some issues with the coolant & oil lines for the turbo. We're making a custom one at the moment, may get the OEM ones later on. All headers, sump, up-pipe is done. Silly brother used a cleaner for the headers which half stripped the paint. All thats left to do now is weld flange onto the dump pipe, install exhaust & TMIC etc, fill up with fluids & go for a (sensible) blast.

Some pics during & after:

Had to modify the turbo bracket, cut off one corner (wasn't needed as there was nothing to bolt on to in the Foz)

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
25 April 2010

Day 3

No luck, after sorting out the dump pipe a couple of hours later - everything was installed....but then there was a few minor clearence issues, then a few other small problems.... Once the dump is welded up we have 1 nut that will not go right to the base because some weld is in the way. Think we are trimming the flare off the bottom of the nut in the morning & see how it goes.

At the moment everything is on & ready to go, but Neil is worried about the wastegate because it is slightly twisted. He wants to basically take it all off, take it apart & move the bracket up slightly....

I would get pics to show you but I'm in the doghouse with Brooke at the moment for now taking 3 days to do what I said should take 1. Usual women stuff. Right now I'm using the iPhone on the [email protected] to type this

Getting up early to have another crack. Wish it was on already

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
26 April 2010

Welding new dump:

99% done:

As you can see its a tight fit to the firewall, ended up having to remove all the studs from the turbo & install THEN put them back in. Neils did a good job of 'welding the f*ck out of it', doesn't look pretty but I was beyond caring.

Looking at the Legacy dump, it basically falls away from the turbo nearly straight away, this (Xforce) dump goes back for a few cm's then drops which caused the biggest clearance issue. We could have cut off a few cm's to make it sit right but then there wouldn't be enough length at the other end to join to the rest of the exhaust. Sits off the MBC & I'm not sure if the excess heat would be an issue. No hitting on the steering knuckle though!

Turbo itself sits in a very different spot compared to TD04/VF's etc. Trying to find a good comparison pic but it looks like this sits alot closer & lower to the block. There is a small rubber knubby thing just in front of the compressor outlet which I have to cut down so my Y pipe fits ok.

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
26 April 2010...continues...

Spent about 2 hours this morning lining up the TMIC, brackets etc. Had to trim the Y pipe that many times it's not funny. Managed to pop it in place & screw down, then had to work all the silicon on. Wasn't easy as you can imagine. Got worried when the coolant line wouldn't let us move the TMIC any further but used Chris' bracket extension & bent the stock bracket just enough.

Starting the engine again was scary, Neil was almost certain we would have an exhaust leak somewhere but none at all. He freaked out when the engine started smoking & smelling really off...until I told him I used almost a can of WD40 on the underside & the coolant spilled was all just burning off. Took a few goes to kick over but when it did everything was sweet. Kicks over fine now...if not a little better than before?

Exhaust sounds so nice, it's not deep at all, barely hear it on idle but it really barks on higher revs. There is a slight boxer burble at idle but once revs rise its not really present. I imagine it will get a bit deeper after driving for a bit, we kinda burnt off the 10cm thick layer of carbon that ol'Sooty left in there. I'll get a video done next weekend, not time now & it's getting dark. It's fairly similar to Burke (XT43)'s Perrin headers video but less raspy?

Driving was great, resisted giving it a boot but did do a few mild-boots. This thing looks like its about 9-10psi stock? Pretty responsive but obviously it's pointless commenting until it's all tuned.

Enough from me....pics.

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
19 May 2010

Car packed up, ready to go to Perth (400km's away) for a reflash of the ECU.

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
20 May 2010:

Ok sorry for the delay, been a very long day & to add to it my phone died on the way home so I had to take the long way home. But I wasn't complaining. But I also was because I was well & truely rooted from the days shenanigans.

Got 212hp at the hubs (about 159kw), 331nm torque & all at 16psi. Not what I was expecting so I was a little disappointed, but at the same time numbers don't mean anything. It pulls like a train.

Had a small issue with the wastegate...with all the customising done to fit it, the arm sits a little short. When tuning it kept going all over the place (wavy lines in the graph), he backed it off as much as he could to smooth it out but it definitley needs attending...either throw in a few washers to sit it back a little or replace (better option - AVO one rated to 13psi is going to be purchased soon). Once this is remedied I'll be looking at another 8-10kw without retuning. I may also be able to get retuned for a higher psi easily (next visit).

Luckily I was able to keep use of the EBC, now have different settings for whatever I feel like. Obviously the tune is at the highest setting.

At the higher rpm I can feel it "choking" a little & the boost gauge fluctuates - this is all from the wastegate & will be easily fixed.

But with the new clutch & tune I've made a mental list of new things that need replacing...shifter bushings, tranny/engine mounts.

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And that brings me up to today...

Few little things I've bought to go on, haven't fixed wastegate yet because it's only noticeable on high rpm & I only putter around town at the moment. Plus I'm broke.

I'll throw up some pics if I find some.

Here's one from the skidpan 2 days after tuning:

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why the twinscroll vs a vfxx series, just out of curiosity.
but looks awesome anyways
You mean why go twinscroll over a VF34/22 etc.? To be different :icon_cool:

It's essentially a TD04 but twinscroll & slightly bigger specs. Plus the responsiveness & extra torque isn't doing any harm. This engines done 160,000km's so I'm not keen to slap on a big turbo, up the boost & wait until she pops, need to nurse this one for a bit until the business takes off then I can look at building a better engine. It's still a daily driver too so it's basically all I need.

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
I'm not keen to slap on a big turbo, up the boost & wait until she pops, need to nurse this one for a bit until the business takes off then I can look at building a better engine. It's still a daily driver too so it's basically all I need.
understood, but you consider a vf22/34 big!?!?!??!!:eek:

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No no, just meant I got something other than the usual setup you see on our cars & WRX's.

Could have easily spent the conversion money on a bigger turbo for more superfunhappytimes but opted not to due to the engine being old & not exactly the best one for it (EJ205). If I build a 207 however...

·
Registered
2002 GT
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TBH I was thinking of throwing a H6 in :D

Don't know which way I want to go yet, still a year or so away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts