Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 FXT that I just had to replace the turbo. I installed a VF39 and full 06 STi exhaust. I still have the stock air box, tmic, and fuel sys. I have a bought a AP V2 to tune but I need help with choosing a map. Money is running short so this is why I would like to install an OTS map if possible. Will the Stg 3 map from Cobbs website work with my current setup since I dont have TBE or STi tmic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 Forester STi 6spd with MapDCCD and 535hp
4,702 Posts
Thats a tough one there, because generally, even just a stage II tune is compensating for a downpipe, so stage 3 wont work too well in your case. If you save up some cash and get an aftermarket Downpipe, then a stage 2 tune would work to your benefit. Despite upgrading to a VF39, you wont see any significant gains until you do that. Also, an STI top mount would help tremendously. With that current setup, you kind of have a hodge podge mix of parts that closely resemble stage 1. Having a stock turbo-back (even though its STI) is whats going to hold up the power.

How did you get the Full STI exhaust to fit might i ask? I used an STI sized midpipe for my build, but it needed 18 extra inches welded in to fit properly.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I would not drive the car until upgrading the TMIC and getting a tune. If you are short on money now, you will really be hating life if a piston pops. I'd stay clear of OTS maps all together, but we have good tuners in the area so we are spoiled.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT 4eat
53 Posts
I would contact a PDX Tuning or 5150 racing , or anyone that can customize a tune for your specific setup. And agree with what was stated, don't drive until you have a functional setup.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I have been pretty desperate so I just uploaded Stg 3 from cobb's site and have been driving it already. we just got like 8" of snow so I had no choice. haha

That being said the car seems to be running fine but with the snow I am not able to make a datalog run to see if anything is out of wack. (ps thanks for scaring the **** out of me about blowing the motor.) Now I just want to park it.

What kind of prices are E-tunes? Our local tuner wants 100per/hr and said he "should be able to get it done in about 4.5hrs"!! Really? That to me is outrageous considering I had my Fully built SR20 with Apexi power fc tuned for 800. Which is basically starting from scratch. sorry for ranting.

As far as the STi exhaust I bought it from the same guy that sold me the Vf39 all off his 06 and I basically bolted every piece of that exhaust to my car. Granted the heat shield on the manifold did not come with it and my FXT shield didnt fit and I had to buy longer exhaust hangers for the muffler is all. I could probably use a couple inces to flush it with the rear bumper but no where near 18 of them. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts