Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am trying to buy an intake. I have the option of spending $200+ on a name brand, or $60 for a no-name. Since the intake is basically a tube, why the heck would I spend so much more for the name brand???

Also- Any comments on K&N Typhoon brand?
Also- I assume any intake that fits the STI also fits the Forester?

Also, some people suggested a SPT like this- but wouldn't I be much better served getting the full pipe all the way through instead of the half pipe?
Subaru STI 2004-2007 SPT Intake :eBay Motors (item 270469658074 end time Oct-18-09 09:32:58 PDT)

Examples-

Cold Air Intake Legacy/Outback/Baja/Forester 2.5L TURBO:eBay Motors (item 190341492617 end time Oct-22-09 19:18:23 PDT)
02-05 Subaru Impreza WRX / STi Cold Air Intake 03 04:eBay Motors (item 400077935497 end time Nov-07-09 17:37:07 PST)
2002 2003 2004-2007 IMPREZA WRX/STI COLD AIR INTAKE KIT:eBay Motors (item 390098142917 end time Oct-24-09 17:05:48 PDT)
02-06 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI COLD AIR INTAKE+FILTER RED:eBay Motors (item 200393584740 end time Oct-18-09 20:17:45 PDT)

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,742 Posts
I have the typhoon and love it. Picked it up for $60 used, cleaned everything up and really enjoy it. My brother has an SPT on his WRX and I'd say that they're very similar in design and improvement vs. the stock setup. As far as the ebay stuff goes... I'll never purchase anything from there based on the fact that the majority of their stuff has shotty craftsmanship and I just don't trust buying from people I don't know. Not everything on there is crap, but with my experience I'm staying away from now on. Just my $.02 :biggrin:

And yes, anything from the wrx/sti will work on your forester.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading those articles, i'm almost convinced not to get any intake.. But I would like the extra flow / HP.

He comments that the stock intake is good up to 400 HP. Will a tune just compensate for the stock?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
A good custom tune will get the most out of of your existing hardware. If you want to improve airflow a little, you can also just remove the snorkus (silencer) in the fenderwell.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Regarding the snorkus, take a quick gander here...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/snorkus-restriction-proven-yes-58508/

In terms of intakes, I'm an advocate of the APS inlet's if you must get one. You can pick one up from a NASIOC vendor for ~$170. When you think about it, not a bad price. The filter alone would cost you $50, so for a good piece of cast aluminum that is shaped correctly...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
Whatever you do, don't, don't, don't, don't, go with a short ram. Seriously, is anyone listening when I write this?

Also, stay away from any intake that does not maintain the stock MAF sensor orientation.

I have not studied myself, but I had a conversation with Tim Bailey a couple years ago and he told me that the MAF sensor is sensitive to orientation. This is why the AEM short ram doubly sucks and anything like it.

The best option out there is the APS (or something like it). APS is the only intake I recommend. There might be others that are similar that are just as good, but I haven't tried them or tuned them myself.

Also, while the stock box might be "good for 400hp", that doesn't mean that there are significant gains to be had with a good CAI. You're turbo selection plays a major role here. The bigger the turbo, the more benefit. You might only see modest gains on a TD04, but I personally have seen big gains even on VFxx turbos...

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,743 Posts
Whatever you do, don't, don't, don't, don't, go with a short ram. Seriously, is anyone listening when I write this?

Also, stay away from any intake that does not maintain the stock MAF sensor orientation.

I have not studied myself, but I had a conversation with Tim Bailey a couple years ago and he told me that the MAF sensor is sensitive to orientation. This is why the AEM short ram doubly sucks and anything like it.

The best option out there is the APS (or something like it). APS is the only intake I recommend. There might be others that are similar that are just as good, but I haven't tried them or tuned them myself.

Also, while the stock box might be "good for 400hp", that doesn't mean that there are significant gains to be had with a good CAI. You're turbo selection plays a major role here. The bigger the turbo, the more benefit. You might only see modest gains on a TD04, but I personally have seen big gains even on VFxx turbos...
I think this is the best advice in the thread, it's a shame no one hears the info in the post!!

good luck
dm

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Oooo, second FYI I forgot about the APS. It does NOT come w/ the hose that is commonly refered to as the MAF hose or Afta-MAF hose. And from what I'm looking at now, that may be a huge restriction in my intake tract as well. I'll advise after I replace mine and see if there are improvements.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
I just installed my APS CAI, noticeably different power! Especially on the high RPMs.
yes!! i just installed mine this weekend too while i was doin my fender braces... heat soak way down... intake temps way down n def a noticeable gain from SPT SRi.. this morning.. outside temp was 55 degrees F.. intake temp was a constant 57 while moving.. pretty impressed.. the SPT SRi was always 10+ degrees more than outside temp while moving.. n temp would go all the way up to 100 at stop lights.. with the APS CAI... it just went up 10 degrees at lights.. i likes i likes

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes!! i just installed mine this weekend too while i was doin my fender braces... heat soak way down... intake temps way down n def a noticeable gain from SPT SRi.. this morning.. outside temp was 55 degrees F.. intake temp was a constant 57 while moving.. pretty impressed.. the SPT SRi was always 10+ degrees more than outside temp while moving.. n temp would go all the way up to 100 at stop lights.. with the APS CAI... it just went up 10 degrees at lights.. i likes i likes
What did you plug the snorklus hole with? I just used a cool-whip lid as a temp repair...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts