Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to do of a review of a recent (2 months ago) purchase of an aftermarket Bluetooth speaker for my FOZ. After a long a tiring search and review of Bluetooth speakers I was able to narrow it down to my purchase. I purchased the SONY HCB-108, come silver and black. There were many to chose from but it seemed that all had issues or were expensive, which is a relative term. This unit works great. It is loud, when needed, and can be adjusted. I have paired it with my Samsung phone which has voice recognition. I seldom, almost never, take the phone out of my pocket, gym bag or briefcase. You push the center button to answer or end calls. If my phone is idle and I push the center button and the voice features comes on........."say a command". I can say call Jim mobile, call XXX-XXX-XXXX, Send Message to Jim, Lookup, Check and several others. I got it on sale at a SonyStyle store for $49, regularly $89. It comes with a visor clip (shown) that I originally used but as you can see I have mounted it to the windshield with some small round clear Velcro fasteners (4 in total) that I found at Target, the unit does not move unless I want to remove it (charging or to take into the office to use as a speaker phone). Sony says it has a battery life (per charge) of 750 hours. I periodically take it out of the vehicle every 4-5 weeks to charge it. If you have any questions feel free to ask. It has worked flawlessly and anyone that is lucky enough to ride in my FOZ ;) after hearing/using it, buys one. No one on either end of a call has complained about the sound. Her are the pics......

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Clever mount.
So I have to ask: What's the other thing you have mounted on the passenger side?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Nice writeup. My state recently went to a handsfree phone law. I have an old Bluetooth headset which works well, but the battery life is pretty poor. Plus, the speakerphone on my BlackBerry is not all that convenient to use while I'm driving.

I've been considering either a new headset or an external bluetooth speakerphone; this looks like a good option if it ever goes on sale again.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice writeup. My state recently went to a handsfree phone law. I have an old Bluetooth headset which works well, but the battery life is pretty poor. Plus, the speakerphone on my BlackBerry is not all that convenient to use while I'm driving.

I've been considering either a new headset or an external bluetooth speakerphone; this looks like a good option if it ever goes on sale again.
I understand, I just can't stand things in my ear.......you know kinda when the wife sticks here pinky in my ear. Na.........I just don't like those earpiece things, especially in the car. I like to hear whats happening and my tunes. The only short fall the device has as I see it is there is no display. I can live with that though. When someone rides with me I keep my phone in the cubbie and check to see who is calling and decide if I want to answer it. For me this is almost never the issue.............I don't let people in the FOZ, I want it all to myself. :biggrin:

Clever mount.
So I have to ask: What's the other thing you have mounted on the passenger side?
SunPass...........for tolls.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait till you guys see how and where I have my GPS mounted. I am still deciding on the model. There a 2 contenders that I currently have and 1 will go back. I got the mount set and when I remove it and put it in the glove you won't even know I have one. Bet I got you interested now......but you'll have to wait. There's a place and time for everything. :biggrin:

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Wait till you guys see how and where I have my GPS mounted. I am still deciding on the model.
Speaking of which, my Garmin 265wt has bluetooth. The sound is very good, but the microphone isn't. I kind of have to hunch over and speak close to it for people to hear me.
The 265wt gets live traffic updates (lifetime for free instead of free for a few months like the 285wt. The way they make you pay for it is that you get small adds from local stores as you drive by them)

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^
I am going with Magellan. I want a bigger 4.7" screen than Garmin offers (Mag even has a 7" screen in the 1700, but less features) and I really like the 1 touch feature available on Magellan + their maps are more aesthetically pleasing, IMO, than Garmin's from what I have seen. But they all have their issues. The Mag also has the Bluetooth feature, address book, adaptive traffic (kinda like TomTom's IQ routes system) and AAA. I will have to give up the Sony BT but I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the unit for the benefit of other members that may need this in their ride.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
Speaking of which, my Garmin 265wt has bluetooth. The sound is very good, but the microphone isn't. I kind of have to hunch over and speak close to it for people to hear me.
The 265wt gets live traffic updates (lifetime for free instead of free for a few months like the 285wt. The way they make you pay for it is that you get small adds from local stores as you drive by them)
I'm using the 265 in my MY'10 and like it more than I THOUGHT I would as a handsfree device. In Vancouver, we don't get the ads... YET.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
In Vancouver, we don't get the ads... YET.
The adds are no biggie. You have to pay attention to the screen to even notice that one came up. They are about the size of the top line that shows the battery level.
I bought mine for really cheap when the local Circuit City went out of business. I like it enough that I got one for my daughter now that she started driving.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe larger screen, but does it have Karen talk to you?
...the one with the Australian accent :wink:
Not Karen but Maggie! From what I have found out in my quest for a GPS. Magellan has the best aesthetically pleasing maps and voice playback. This has been discussed in depth on the GPS discussion boards. They all have their pluses and minuses though. :icon_frown:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts