Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 Forester S and am looking for winter rims. WalMart has Hayes black steel rims 16x6.5 5x100 bolt pattern with 42mm offset for $54/rim.

According to that I have read on this site, the 42mm will stick out more than my stock 48 mm offet and may lead to rear bearing problems. Will the 6mm really cause me a problem? I will only run them from late Oct to early April.

I can't find OEM rims anywhere and shipping from the US is too expensive.

Should I go with 15" rims and 205/75x15 winter tires because the narrow tires are better in the snow? From what I have read on this forum, the 15" should clear the brake calipers no problem and are a little cheaper.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I have an 01 Forester S and am looking for winter rims. WalMart has Hayes black steel rims 16x6.5 5x100 bolt pattern with 42mm offset for $54/rim.

According to that I have read on this site, the 42mm will stick out more than my stock 48 mm offet and may lead to rear bearing problems. Will the 6mm really cause me a problem? I will only run them from late Oct to early April.

Should I go with 15" rims and 205/75x15 winter tires because the narrow tires are better in the snow? From what I have read on this forum, the 15" should clear the brake calipers no problem and are a little cheaper.
You might as well use the 15s, but if you have any desire to do a brake upgrade in the future, then stick with 16s.

As for the 6mm... it's debatable. Given that subies are rather prone to wheel bearing problems, i wouldn't push my luck if I were in your shoes. Also - are the wallmart wheels hubcentric?

Also - any OEM 5x100 subaru wheel will fit and work for this - ideally you'd want wheels from another forester, baja or an outback, since they both have the 48mm offset (outback sport should work too) but legacy/impreza wheels will work too. You can use forester wheels from any model year. If there's a subaru in a wrecking yard anywhere close to you, you should be able to find something usable.

You might also want to call a few local dealers and see if they have any steelie takeoffs. I got a set for my last car that way.

as for the thinner tires, go for it. You'll get better snow traction and better gas mileage (slightly) to boot. Just make sure that you're still at or above the OEM load rating.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts

!5" would be just fine & a good idea, or you can try several autowreckers/salvage yards.....I know of a huge one in Toronto (about 12 minutes from me) so the shipping would be more reasonable than south of the border & they usually have an excellent selection of rims for pretty much every make & model in stock (several Foresters currently according to their website). Here some more info...

http://www.standardautowreckers.com/

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I used to have snow tires with my Nissan 240SX but used the same alum rims for 8 years. I also have a set of OEM rims and snow tires for my wife's CRV so I am very familar with snow tires. Because we live outside the city and must commute to work, 4 wheel drive and snow tires are a given!

We only have 1 Subi dealer in Manitoba and no luck. I will keep searching for OEMs but I have been looking for over a year with no luck. I can find Foresters at the local wreckers but no rims!

Subifreak - thanks for the link. They have rims and I have asked for a quote. Almost as cheap at the universals.

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
to work, 4 wheel drive and snow tires are a given!

We only have 1 Subi dealer in Manitoba and no luck. I will keep searching for OEMs but I have been looking for over a year with no luck. I can find Foresters at the local wreckers but no rims!

Subifreak - thanks for the link. They have rims and I have asked for a quote. Almost as cheap at the universals.
No arguement that in Manitoba that you need winter rubber. I hope you have luck with Standard Auto Wreckers......they are good folks there for the most part.....I hope shipping isn't astronomical if you find what your looking for.

My Dad recently got 4, 15" OE Buick Alloys for his Century from Standard for something like $35 a piece & they were like brand new (dealer wanted $700 EACH!) :huh:

Only other suggestion would be maybe e-bay....but I'm not comfortable with that personally. :icon_eek:

What winter rubber do you usually run Cubby?

If I can help in any other way, let me know. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was spoiled 2 years ago when I bought 4 OEM Honda CRV rims with Michelin Arctic Alpin tires for $250 from the local Buy and Sell for my wife's CRV. I keep hoping to find the same deal for my Subaru!

According to the search, Toronto does have some rims and I emailed them to get a price quote. Which we luck! Thanks again SubiFreak. I will actually be in Toronto in a few weeks on business but I don't think I can take the rims as carry on!

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Dude... don't buy the univeral steelies... they really realy heavy. I put one one after I trashed one of my other winter steelies. Felt all off balance.

Pick up some takeoffs from someone. You can get 'em for the same price.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi MikeBike357. I have been searching for almost 2 years for some take-offs. Unfortunately, shipping the rims from the US to Canada adds another $130 to the bill. Factor in exchange rate, duties, taxes - its not cheap. I can buy OEM rims from the dealer for cheaper than buying a used set in the States and shipping them.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Subifreak - I called Standard Auto Wreckers and they have a pile of the Subaru 15" steel rims - they are even on sale for $40/rim! Thanks for the heads up!

·
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
Subifreak - I called Standard Auto Wreckers and they have a pile of the Subaru 15" steel rims - they are even on sale for $40/rim! Thanks for the heads up!
Anytime! Glad I could help out bud. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I order a set of 15" for girlfreinds legacy, as for the 16" univeral steels I used last year they were ok the did stick out but I had no problems, even though they are heavy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts