Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Z06 6 spd
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use Subaru's VIP partner pricing? It's basically Invoice minus 2% for any 2013 Subaru model except the WRX/STi.

My fiance wants to buy a Forester XT. We can either get a 2013 with the VIP pricing or haggle the price of a 2012.

Any suggestions?
Know any good dealers in the Mid-Atlantic region?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 forester automatic
6 Posts
all i can tell you is i was able to seal a deal today on a 2012 forester prem w/all weather pkg, all weather mats, cargo cover, dimming rear view mirror w/ compass, rear bumper protector, cargo net for $24,496 incl all except tax and registration. i got that price at 0% interest in NY. how did i do? i never heard of this VIP partner pricing, only the Costco offer claiming not to be much of a savings. i'm going in tomorrow to place my signature on the paperwork and drive it out of there.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Know any good dealers in the Mid-Atlantic region?
We were pretty happy dealing with David Jennings at Stohlman Subaru in Vienna, VA (Washington, D.C. suburb near Tysons Corner) when we bought our 2012 Forester last December.

Based on dealing with Jackie (SubaruPartsGirl) at Annapolis Subaru (a forum sponsor), I'd certainly give 'em a try if I was in their area...

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2013 Forester AWP Plus Automatic
169 Posts
all i can tell you is i was able to seal a deal today on a 2012 forester prem w/all weather pkg, all weather mats, cargo cover, dimming rear view mirror w/ compass, rear bumper protector, cargo net for $24,496 incl all except tax and registration. i got that price at 0% interest in NY. how did i do? i never heard of this VIP partner pricing, only the Costco offer claiming not to be much of a savings. i'm going in tomorrow to place my signature on the paperwork and drive it out of there.
Which dealership did you go to?

I'm in the market for one as well.

·
Registered
2007 FXT 5MT
185 Posts
Got mine through the VIP program, I'd do it again if needed. Simplest car purchase I've ever done. I have used Pence Subaru and Moore Subaru in Richmond VA for purchases. I had a better experience with Moore Subaru for the purchase but use Pence for all of my parts as they have a discount for Nasioc members.

·
Registered
2002 nissan auto
8 Posts
VIP is tricky..

I tried VIP program in NY but the dealer didn't offer me the right discounts and even change pricing when I balked. Spoke to VIP to verify invoice but they also say dealer might have different costs than what Edmunds or some other reputable sites were quoting as invoice. At the end another pricing program was way better and ultimately got 2012 Subaru Forester w/alloy wheels base package at 22.7k out the door in NY in beginning of July, which was way better than 2% below invoice than offered by VIP.

·
Registered
2002 nissan auto
8 Posts
Costco program was disappointing for me. But 0% interest??? not a typo? 0.9% was the official offer to good credit folks.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
I can't speak for the person that posted that, but a dealership near me was offering 0% with 25% down. At least that was what the fine print in the email I got from them seemed to say--they were not competitive on price which is probably how they made up the difference. We just bought somewhere else and took the 0.9%.

Last month, we email haggled a bunch of dealerships for the 2012 instead of waiting for a 2013 (never heard of the VIP program til this thread). We got 4% below what Edmunds claims the invoice is. 2012 Forester Premium Automatic with All Weather Package, PZEV, Popular Package 3 (all weather mats, splash guards, luggage cover, luggage tray, rear bumper cover) plus rear cargo net for $23,743 MSRP $26,443. Out the door for $25,967 (including 7% NJ tax and NJ's required 4 years of registration fees and title which is $296).

2% below invoice on a 2013 sounds like a very good deal for a new year model you can order, I'd just make sure to contact a bunch of the dealers around you and get the exact amount of fees they charge so you can tell if the dealer honoring your VIP pricing isn't adding hundreds of dollars in fees to make up for the low price.

That's how the TrueCar program works, I think--which anyone with AAA has free access to. The one dealer near me with the best truecar price claimed we had to pay for mandatory etching fees. they were the only dealer that even mentioned etching fees. I just laughed and went elsewhere.

·
Registered
2002 nissan auto
8 Posts
Interesting. I also did the same on contacting different programs and dealers that is how I know I wasn't getting VIP pricing. In fact, one dealer not part of VIP program said if he were to give me VIP pricing of invoice less 2%, it would be x $, and that amount was different and lower than pricing from VIP program. Even between two dealers in the same VIP program pricing for the same vehicle was off by a few hundred. As for Truecar, I thought that their invoice price displayed somehow depends on which program you logged in from. If you log in through, say Geico who uses Truecar, you will get a different invoice price than if you log in through another auto buy program for the same vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Automatic
4 Posts
You may be right on Trucar being variable depending on access point. Really its just a lead generation tool for dealerships--they dangle a low price in front of you so you contact them and stop looking. In my experience, the trucar quote was about the same as the best prices I got from emailing and negotiating down but the doc and registration fees from the trucar dealer were over $1000 while all the other dealers had consistant fees between $500 - $620. And trucar wouldn't budge--I'm guessing because they needed to recoup that $300 they pay for the lead.

If not all dealers are in the VIP program, I wonder if it works the same. Is Subaru itself kicking in money to subsidize the lower price, or maybe they just don't charge a $300 fee like trucar does? I say the best thing to do is get VIP prices and contact that dealer and ask for the final "out the door" price which includes all fees and taxes. And then email all the dealerships around (don't tell them about the VIP price you have yet, just tell them you're getting quotes from a number of dealers) and get their best out the door price for the exact same care including taxes and fees.

Yes, "invoice" can be variable, and padded. I wonder if VIP program dealers jack up the actual dealer invoice price (we never know what the dealer really paid) and then sell it at 2% below that higher invoice price. You'd have to actually look at the factory invoice with the official headers for that car to see what's on it. Dealers prefer to print "invoices" off the computer which are completely made up. Again, that's why I think the email method is the best, it weeds out the lies. and of course, different dealers often quote on different cars, usually cars sitting on their lots--since some have extra options like floor mats, etc. that will also make invoice prices a little different.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
The VIP program stipulates that your first contact with the dealership has to be through the VIP program and you have to announce the VIP when you first show up. If you do not do that do you not get the VIP discount?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts